Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Reporting to new duty station in trops/ should they be wore or packed?
Last Post 22 Aug 2012 12:58 PM by Old Guard2. 19 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
Topic is locked
Author Messages
Basic Member
Basic Member
tallmans mom

--
21 Aug 2012 06:26 AM
    So my son is reporting to his new duty station on Thursday and I'm not sure if I should advise him to wear his trops or pack them and change before he reports. He is already packing 2 maybe even 3 large duffle bags and will have 1 carry on. I don't know if he would even be allowed to carry on an additional garment bag. 

If he has to check the garment bag wont the uniform get just as wrinkled as him wearing it on the plane?

he is leaning towards wearing the uniform on the plane. 

Any suggestions/tip/tricks for keeping a nice looking  uniform would be appreciated.

Thanks

Kris
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    21 Aug 2012 06:33 AM
    He can wear it on the plane. It might be a little uncomfortable, but it's one less bag to carry.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    tallmans mom

--
    21 Aug 2012 06:34 AM
    Oh and his flight is only like an hour long.

would he have to remove his ribbons and his name tag off of his blouse at security?

too many questions...argh!
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    21 Aug 2012 07:09 AM
    He shouldn't have to remove anything from his uniform for security. He should also get priority screening and seating. Have a good couple of days with him before you send him off.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    tallmans mom

--
    21 Aug 2012 07:14 AM
    Oh I am but I haven't worked this hard in a long time. lol
    Between laundry, mending, cooking his favorite meals, shopping etc...I'm exhausted. ;-) I think I'll go back to work just to get some rest.

It's my last chance to baby him for awhile so while I complain it does make me happy, 2 more days and he'll be off on his new adventure.
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    21 Aug 2012 07:26 AM
    And a Great Adventure it will be!
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    21 Aug 2012 08:39 AM
    Don't forget date night!! We did it before boot camp and we had another in Boston before I left him with his ship! Just me & my son, dinner, laughing, talking, sharing, worrying, reassuring... all of it. No cell phones, no one else, no disruptions... just us! Best 2 date nights with my boy!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    sardaddy

--
    22 Aug 2012 05:48 AM
    Advise him? Is he in the military or going off to school? He is a grown man and has gone through boot camp. I am sure he can figure out what to wear. I think it is great that parents and spouses get so interested about their service member but if the member has questions they will ask another service member for the right answer. They can do it on their own.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    22 Aug 2012 05:59 AM
    Well that's it... Let's close the doors to this forum. There is no use in moms, spouses, girlfriends, boyfriends, dads asking any questions to help our service member make right choices. They should just call up another service member, even if the only one they know is another boot camp graduate and that service member is just as up in the air about what to do. We obviously overstep our boundaries as loving supporters and we need to be quiet and not ask.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    sardaddy

--
    22 Aug 2012 07:21 AM
    Or we could just go to one extreme and blow a comment way out of proportion. Well, you did that so let's get it back on a more even keel.

This forum is great for parents, friends etc. to get information on the Coast Guard to learn things about the CG and what members do. However, it goes beyond ridiculous when parents, friends etc. Feel they have to explain things to the service member and guide them with advise they got over the internet. IF the member truly needs help, they can ask anyone in their chain of command, their sponsor, or even log in and ask the question themselves. They don't need mommy or daddy telling them how something is done. That is what the chain of command is for.

Why do I care? Because the same things that happen here happen on a different scale when the member gets to the unit. Getting calls by spouses or parents of members in the unit telling us that we aren't treating their son right or we should allow special privileges to junior because he needs more supervision than other children or even, " I asked people on the internet about that and you are doing it wrong" does not bode well for the member.

Think about it from the member's point of view. He is a grown man, who had enough sense to finish boot camp by himself. Do you really think he wants advise about military protocols from his mother? Unless she has been in the military, that isn't who they are going to go to for an answer.

Again, asking questions about how the CG works or even what they can expect as a dependent or family member is great and is done well. If they are trying to figure out what housing will be like or compare stations GREAT. But the member doesn't need military advise from a family member (unless that family member has been in the military) they need normal family support and understanding to do their job.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    tallmans mom

--
    22 Aug 2012 07:58 AM
    Let me see if I understand you sardaddy, you think that a question on wearing a uniform on a plane and asking advise on how to keep a uniform looking fresh and neat during travel is a "military protocol" question?

I think that's a bit of a stretch.

I didn't ask if he COULD wear a uniform on a plane, or the military regs for wearing a uniform, I simply asked for suggestions for keeping a neat appearance.

I might be wrong but I'm sure his sponsor and his chain of command has better things to do that answer questions on the best way to keep a tight seam or to store those unwieldy combination covers.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    sardaddy

--
    22 Aug 2012 08:38 AM
    Actually, that is exactly what his sponsor is for. The sponsor has been in the exact same situation. The sponsor would also be able to inform him if he needed to wear the uniform on the plane for some reason such as there won't be any time to change because something is going on at the station and they need to get back ASAP.

And yes, that is a military protocol question. Do you know the regulations about which uniforms are authorized to wear during travel? Or which uniforms can not be worn off station etc? It is military protocol. Questions best answered by his command, not mom.

Let me ask you this. If your son had gotten a job at a large corporation would you find a website for the corporation and ask the same question you posted here about his suit before he shows up to work? If he needs you to find out if he should wear his uniform or not when he travels, he is going to have a lot of trouble figuring out the bigger problems when you aren't around.

I empathize with you. You want your son to give the best impression he can. I get it. But you have to have boundaries. Trust me, he can figure it out on his own. The CG trusts him, you should too.
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    22 Aug 2012 08:59 AM
    I don't mean any disrespect towards anyone. I understand how we can't convey our tone when we type words on a forum.

Having said that, I agree with sardaddy on this topic. This is exactly the type of things that a sponsor is there for. Our members, even though fresh out of basic training, have been given all the tools they need to successfully report into their first unit.

I know that these are your sons and daughters. I really do. It's just that there comes a time where they need to figure out some things on their own and have accountability for their own decisions. Allowing them to make a few mistakes along the way will only make them better down the road. I remember the morning that we put our oldest son on the school bus for his very first day of kindergarten. You do a lot of preparation to lead up to that moment (shopping for clothes and supplies, answering questions, etc). It is really tough and a bit sad to see them get on the bus and have the doors close behind them. I know that day was especially tough for my wife. In the end, my son was able to succeed on his own. Our kids are capable of accomplishing a lot more than we could even imagine. It just takes that first step where we let them do something on their own.

Again, I don't mean any disrespect in my post. It's just that from my point of view, it's always better when the member is accountable for themselves from the very beginning.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Cathi

--
    22 Aug 2012 09:49 AM
    As an aside, my son has always been able to check 5 bags free when traveling by plane, he just has to show his military ID. That's even when he's not traveling on orders. Nice perk!
    Nathan's Mom
    BM3, Cordova, AK
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    22 Aug 2012 09:58 AM
    When I was married to Jim and continuing forward watching my son's career... We have been given sponsors... they were all but non-existent! They were useless. When we were assigned to MSD Kodiak... our sponsor was wonderful... sent us a city map, bus schedule, list of restaurants, shopping malls, good housing areas... FOR ANCHORAGE! We were being assigned to the deatachment in KODIAK! Yes, that was so helpful! New Orleans, we didn't even have a sponsor coming out of OCS. Valdez, our sponsor, the housing officer, told us we were all set, housing was ready, we were showing up on X date, fine arrange household goods, you are all set. That was June prior to departure from NOLA. We took over a month's leave and drove cross country, 31 days. When we were on the last leg of our trip we called the unit from a friends house in Seattle. Oh, housing? There is a problem. Your house ISN'T ready. Funny, 2 months ago it was vacant, now it isn't ready! We had to find a bed and breakfast to stay in. We were there for over 30 days.

So yes, if you have a sponsor and they are good... Sure, use that. If they suck, what else are you supposed to do? Also, Kris wasn't asking about regulations or guidelines or something her Coastie is probably very well versed in... She was asking for our OPINION on what might be the best way of traveling so that this brand new, young Coastie makes a hot impression out of the gate when he shows up at his new command in uniform. Better to pack it or wear it? Who better to ask then all of you that have that experience and knowledge! I didn't have to ask that question... I drove Colin to Boston on Wednesday night, we stayed in a hotel and Thursday morning he was able to bust out an iron and slice bread with the creases in his pants. In this case Cyle is traveling via flight to arrive on the same day. So what do you think in your professional and personal experiences... Should he wear it or carry it? That is a typical "I want my baby to shine" mom question. What else is this forum here for other than to answer questions and get guidance.

And by the way... she wasn't asking to have advise. She was asking for advice. I don't really think anyone wants advise on what to do but they may require advice on what to do. English, it's a wonderful language. Learn it, love it.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    22 Aug 2012 10:00 AM
    Cathi,

My son just transferred to Seattle. One of his bags weighed in at 57 pounds. At first they told him he was going to have to rearrange bags to get it under 50 pounds. He explained he was military on orders and was leaving Boston for good. She said nevermind, the bags were just fine and there was no charge. It is a great perk.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    22 Aug 2012 10:55 AM
    I guess we will just agree to disagree.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    sardaddy

--
    22 Aug 2012 12:09 PM
    Posted By Old Guard2 on 22 Aug 2012 10:58 AM

And by the way... she wasn't asking to have advise. She was asking for advice. I don't really think anyone wants advise on what to do but they may require advice on what to do. English, it's a wonderful language. Learn it, love it.

Do you really want to go down the grammar road? That usually means that all legitimate discussion is done.  I am intimately familiar with the use of both words but in my quick typing and rearranging thoughts I forgot to go back and edit those words. Sorry.

You are also right she was asking what the best way to travel was. I will ask you, would you email a corporation and ask how your son should travel so he shows up looking ok when he gets to work? He is a CG trained, grown man going to work, not a 10 year old go to his first day of class.  He doesn't need mommy telling him how to wear his uniform. He has or has access to all of the information needed to make a good impression.

This isn't rocket science. He can figure it out.

Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    22 Aug 2012 12:34 PM
    No, I wouldn't email the corporation and ask. I would ask fellow travelers that have been in that situation how would they approach traveling. I wouldn't bother a superior with such a ridiculous question when I had available to me other resources and outlets, I don't know... something like a forum of information relating 100% to that corporation. Then I can ask the people that are killing time, voluteering their knowledge, offering sound and sage advice on differing things from should we get married in dress uniform or tuxedo to should I travel in uniform to when is the best time to have a wife relocate to my station. Some questions, goofy to ask command; some, you can should you choose to bother them; some you might have to so you can secure dates of deployment/underway time.

So in this case Kris used the forum, once again I'll say it, asking for an OPINION of what might be the best alternative for flying to his new unit. I'm fairly certain Cyle has made up his mind and knows precisely what he is doing. But she wanted to know... In the opinion of a Chief, another non-rate, an officer... do you think he'll look like a hot mess if he travels in uniform or will the uniform stay neater if he chooses to wear it on the plane? Again, OPINION of seasoned veterans. Not attack of the killer tomatoes because she didn't follow what YOUR OPINION of the only acceptable way to handle this is.

Maybe you don't feel this way... But 24 hours a day for the rest of my life I am my child's mother. No one anywhere can ever remove that title, emotion, feeling of pride and protection from me. So if I or another mom wants to ask "What is the way the CG does..........." I'll do my best to answer her question, not dismiss her. We are all very well aware that our grown children can and will make their own decisions, but that does not mean we can't add our helpful points of view.

And you are correct. It was the end of the argument, you chose to pick it back up and run further with it.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    22 Aug 2012 12:58 PM
    It has been requested this be locked. So I shall. End of discussion.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Topic is locked

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement