Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Wanting to join!
Last Post 23 Aug 2012 05:05 PM by captkyguy. 7 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
ny_bsktball@hotmail.com

--
22 Aug 2012 10:21 AM
    Hey, my name is Noah, I am 21 years old and will be graduating in the spring of 2013 with my bachelors in Criminal Justice.  I have been super interested in joining the coast guard for over a year and now it is about time for me to start making a move.  I am in the process of filling out my first applicatoin so I have no obligation of joining until I'm sure this is the right move for me.  My plan is visiting a recruiter next month.  I am just wondering if my decision of joining the CG as a enlisted member with a degree is a smart move or not? I also want to know if those in the CG enjoy their job and serving their country because I have wanted to do this for a while. My interest def leads towards ME or AST! Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks!!
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    22 Aug 2012 11:22 AM
    Welcome Noah...enjoy your journey and have a blast!

Many, and I mean many have joined the Coast Guard as enlited with Bachelors and even Masters degrees so a very smart move actually, you can always apply for OCS while enlisted. The CG has the highest retention rate of all the services in the 80% to 90% range, so it appears that most enjoy what they have chosen for a career to serve their country!
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    22 Aug 2012 11:38 AM
    I have a bachelor's, and had some Master's coursework under my belt when I joined. It was a very smart move for me (and many others). You get a job, they give you experience. In this tough economy, if/when I leave, I can say I have training, leadership, etcetcetc on my resume. I get health insurance, money for continued education, and benefits.
    Honor: if you need it defined, you don’t have it.
    ny_bsktball@hotmail.com

--
    22 Aug 2012 04:59 PM
    That is really pleasing to hear! So what exactly do you do while waiting for A school? I'm wondering if that just feels like its a boring part of the process in the CG or if it isn't all that bad and you are learning.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Wisper7

--
    22 Aug 2012 09:59 PM
    Depends on where you get stationed as a non-rate really. The A-School wait currently is pretty well stalled, so yes there are some frustrating boring times, especially being the bottom man with no choice but to wait. However, I can assure you, at least at my unit, that there are plenty of great experiences that I would not be able to get anywhere else and that I am sure will be missed once rated.

As for what you do, you can do anything from painting/cleaning/mowing lawns to maintenance on boats and machinery to search and rescue to law enforcement, all while non-rated. Just because you are waiting for a school does not mean you don't get to do Coastgaurdily things.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    23 Aug 2012 09:50 AM
    Coastguardily? I love it. Haha
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    ny_bsktball@hotmail.com

--
    23 Aug 2012 05:02 PM
    alright, so does my degree positively affect the time it takes me to get to an A school
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    23 Aug 2012 05:05 PM
    From past answers...no your degree will have no bearing on the time it takes you to get to A-school. How fast you complete your qualifications, how soon your command approves you putting your name on the list and how fast the list moves are factors that will affect how fast you get to A-school.
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement