Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Will I get my first choice station Sector Detroit?
Last Post 05 Aug 2013 01:29 PM by ericdykema. 7 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
coastie3591

--
28 Aug 2012 03:04 PM
    I am currently in the process of joining the Coast Guard and am wondering if any of my uncertainties can be answered. I realize that once I sign up I will go where ever the Coast Guard sends me, but was curious how hard it will be to get sector detroit? Also has anyone been stationed there? If so can I get some feedback on if its a good place to be while i'm waiting for my "A" school to have an opening. If you think Detroit isn't a good station could you recommend somewhere for me?

Thanks in advance!!! 
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    28 Aug 2012 03:27 PM
    You will not be able to choose sector Detroit. The best you could do is to choose District 9 (Great Lakes) as your first pick and hope you get something within that district. Also, if you are enlisting out of Detroit, you will not be assigned within 100 miles of there.

I recommend getting out of your home and seeing something new. After all, isn't that the point of joining? If you are looking to stay near home, the reserves will be more appealing to you.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    coastie3591

--
    28 Aug 2012 03:57 PM
    What would you recommend as far as where I should put down on my dream sheet? I've been trying to research as much as possible on the different sectors but it's hard to research on the actual living there part instead just what the stations do.

Thanks
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    28 Aug 2012 05:01 PM
    This might not be the answer you're looking for, but I'm fairly certain that I could be happy wherever the CG sends me. Sure, some places are lower on my preference list (Gulf coast), but that's just me. I've been up and down the east coast, and there has been positives about every place I've been, just like there's been negatives about every place I've been. If you really want to see some cool stuff, choose a large cutter in someplace warm. You'll get to see islands half the year, and live in a warm place the rest of the year. Otherwise, choose anything in Boston because it's the best city on the planet.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    28 Aug 2012 05:46 PM
    Having spent more than enough time on the Great Lakes, I recommend anything not on the Great Lakes. The Gulf of Mexico is AWESOME despite what you may have heard. And, Sectors may not be an option for you. You may want to start warming up to the idea of going afloat on something.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    southern118

--
    28 Aug 2012 06:41 PM
    First and foremost a sector would not be a great place for a no rate IMO I have to say I love the gulf coast I wouldn't want to go north east or towards the great lake. And as mentioned before if you are from Detroit don't expect to be anywhere around there
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    LauraDK

--
    05 Aug 2013 01:03 PM
    I got stationed at a small boat station right out of bootcamp and I've learned such a multitude of things. Granted I'm married and like seeing him a couple days a week. However if you're single I suggest being on a cutter. You travel, see parts of the world that you'd probably never have the time or money to experience. Granted I hear being a non-rate on a cutter could be pretty awful at times, but the places you visit make it worth it.
    "Zombieland Rule #32- Enjoy the little things."
    ericdykema

--
    05 Aug 2013 01:29 PM
    I don't know why anybody wouldn't want D9. Our saying in the Mitten is that it's the only place where you can get all four seasons in one day!

I'm enlisting out of Detroit and am looking at NSC's and WHEC on the Pacific Coast. Anything I get out there would be so awesome! To the OP, I would suggest looking at the different units on uscg.mil. Most, if not all have a unit information sheet that highlights a lot about the area the unit is in. That's where I've been doing most of my research.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement