Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Intelligence Officer?
Last Post 24 Sep 2012 05:02 PM by TriMan1991. 26 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
TriMan1991

--
04 Sep 2012 08:48 PM
    How hard is it to become an Intel Officer through OCS? is Intel closed for the foreseeable future like it is with the Navy?
    "You never know until the moment the fire stares you down... if you’re going to do this job, or be great at it" -BackDraft
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    04 Sep 2012 08:50 PM
    You have a better shot by applying for the Direct Commission Intelligence Officer (DCIO) program. It requires a bachelors degree in intel, or a bachelors degree with related intel experience.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    TriMan1991

--
    04 Sep 2012 08:54 PM
    Posted By Cooch on 04 Sep 2012 09:50 PM
    You have a better shot by applying for the Direct Commission Intelligence Officer (DCIO) program. It requires a bachelors degree in intel, or a bachelors degree with related intel experience.

How does becoming a DCIO differ from going through the OCS process for becoming an officer? does a DCIO do similar work and have similar privileges as an OCS officer? privileges meaning command, tours of duty, limited duty officer verses unrestricted line officer.   

From what I understand, a DCIO officer is strictly for the reserve, is this true? I am hoping for an active duty slot. 

"You never know until the moment the fire stares you down... if you’re going to do this job, or be great at it" -BackDraft
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    04 Sep 2012 09:43 PM
    That is not true. DCIO is for active duty. An intelligence officer would not be in command unless it was at an intel unit.
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    sardaddy

--
    06 Sep 2012 10:00 AM
    Triman,

A direct commision officer has the same authority, privileges, etc. as an officer who went through OCS or the CG academy. The only difference is how they became an officer. As a Direct Commisison officer you are chosen because of your specialty instead of having to develop a specialty if you went in through OCS. In the long run, you can develop your career how you want to and eventually working toward a command if that is what your goal is.
    PA_Commons

--
    13 Sep 2012 08:44 PM
    Hello Everyone,

Quick Question. Upon looking into the DCIO program, I'm getting some conflicting answers. 

Currently I'm serving as an active duty Navy CTI. My (Navy) command has said there is a form that authorizes me to be released to another service. The Coast Guard recruiter I called and talked to said it's impossible. I must wait until my EAOS. 

There are several USCG personnel at my command and I have no problem approaching them for help. Being they work in the intel field I would imagine they could help me out quite a bit.

Before I do that though, is the recruiter correct? Will I have to wait out my current enlistment?

If anyone could share their knowledge or experience it would be a huge help.

V/r
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    13 Sep 2012 09:05 PM
    We (CG recruiters) don't process anyone unless they are within 90 days of their EOS date. At that time, your recruiter would fill out a DD368 Request for Conditional Release, the two of you would sign it, and then Navy BUPERS (spelling) signs it in Millington, TN. They need to sign it in order to release you from your IRR time should you get picked up with the CG.

When is your EOS date?
    PA_Commons

--
    14 Sep 2012 01:10 AM
    Almost 4 years in on a 6 year contract. Waiting isn't so bad I guess.

Thanks for the help.
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    sardaddy

--
    14 Sep 2012 06:30 AM
    That conditional release that Cooch and the Navy is talking about can be used to get out early for a transfer to another service as well but I have never seen it able to be used for an enlisted member to try and enlist before their committment is up from another service.

The conditional release is usually used for two reasons. Allowing an enlisted person to transfer services to go to an officer program or for an officer to transfer to another service before their committment is up. The wording I always heard associated with a conditional release is to allow a member to move up not laterally. In other words, if you are trying to go from E to WO or O a conditional release would be authorized but E to E wouldn't cut it.

Good luck.
    TriMan1991

--
    14 Sep 2012 08:13 PM
    Ok, so let me know if I understand this correctly. I could enlist in the USCG Reserve while gaining experience in my civilian career and then apply for the DCIO program and then become an active duty officer? The part that is confusing me is that I would change from a reserve commitment to an active duty commitment, is the active duty and reserve funded separately in the USCG like in the Navy or Army?

How easy is it to make the move from E to O? I would imagine that it would require a lot of high level approval.

I am new to this process so please forgive my ignorance.
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    14 Sep 2012 09:16 PM
    It is much easier to move from E to O than it is to go from civilian to O, but in any case, the selections are tough. Yes, you could apply as a reservist if you meet all the criteria. And yes, they are funded differently.
    TriMan1991

--
    15 Sep 2012 06:44 PM
    The moving from E to O and from Reserve Enlisted to Active duty Officer, is this a USCG specific program?
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    15 Sep 2012 07:07 PM
    I'm not sure what you mean. Our reservists, if they meet the criteria for the officer program they are interested in, may apply for any of our officer programs. Are reservists in the other services not allowed to do the same?
    TriMan1991

--
    16 Sep 2012 05:10 PM
    Cooch,

I guess that was what I was asking, I havent heard about programs in the other services that would allow you to end your E contract and attend OCS for an O contract.. and if you dont make it through OCS you are out of the service (which is how I understand the Reserve Commission in the USCG).

Realistically, what is the chance of someone going from reserve E to active O through OCS, from what I understand it is easier than civilian off the street but realistically speaking, what are the odds?
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    16 Sep 2012 05:17 PM
    I can't give you Vegas-style odds. It's just very tough is all. Hundreds apply every year, and the last selection board (OCS-R) chose 10, 7 of which were already enlisted in the CG.
    TriMan1991

--
    16 Sep 2012 05:38 PM
    Thank you, I shot my local recruiter an email a few days ago, well two recruiters, and I will start calling and trying to arrange a face to face meeting when I can. The plan would be to go to boot when I graduate from college, 2014, and go in as an E-3 so from what I hear with the wait for bootcamp... starting the process now should have me going to boot in early 2014.

Does the USCGR side have a lengthy wait for A-School like the USCG active side does?
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    16 Sep 2012 07:02 PM
    No, but if you go reserved, be prepared to stay in the reserves. Crossing over to active duty is almost non-existent these days.
    TriMan1991

--
    16 Sep 2012 07:17 PM
    Cooch,

Another question,

on the USCG site I see that there are two OCS programs from E to O:

- Applicants for reserve commissions must be in their senior year at or hold a bachelor's (or higher) degree from an accredited college or university. E-4s and below with less than four years of service may apply for reserve commissions.

- Applicants for temporary commissions must have at least 30 semester-hour credits (including at least one college math course) or meet a series of other academic criteria. To apply for a temporary commission, enlisted personnel must be in pay grade E-5 or higher, have served at least four years in the armed forces, at least two of which were in the Coast Guard.

Is it possible for me, once in the reserve, to apply to both of these officer programs? if I go in with a degree I will be an E-3 and after A school an E-4.. after a few years an E-5.. is there a limit to the amount of times and what OCS programs I can apply to in the USCG? On the topic of enlisting as an E-3 in the reserve, from what I understand, as a 22 year old (my age when I graduate college) I would be unable to enlist in the reserve as an E-3 due to my age.. is this true?
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    16 Sep 2012 07:28 PM
    No, you can apply for one or the other, not both.
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    16 Sep 2012 07:29 PM
    And yes, the limit is age 34 for temp and 30 for reserve.
    TriMan1991

--
    16 Sep 2012 07:29 PM
    Posted By Cooch on 16 Sep 2012 08:28 PM
    No, you can apply for one or the other, not both.

Thank you, is there a set amount of times that I could apply to one of the programs? once a year? or is it a once and done kind of deal
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    16 Sep 2012 07:30 PM
    How old are you, and why would your age correspond to your paygrade?
    TriMan1991

--
    16 Sep 2012 08:29 PM
    Posted By Cooch on 16 Sep 2012 08:30 PM
    How old are you, and why would your age correspond to your paygrade?

Currently I am 20, 21 in november and will be 22 or 23 upon enlistment. The reasion I ask about age is because of this information that I found on the USCG web page <http://www.gocoastguard.com/find-yo...e-programs>

The Coast Guard Reserve also values civilian education.  If you currently have 60 semester hours or more and are between the ages of 27 and 40, you may enlist at an advanced pay grade (E-3). You will attend 3 weeks of training at Cape May, NJ, then attend specialized training.  

Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    16 Sep 2012 08:50 PM
    With 60 college credits, you would join as an E-3 regardless of your age. You are looking at the wrong program. That is the DEPOT program requirements. You wouldn't qualify for the program since both the education/experience and age requirements must both be met. You would attend the full 8 weeks of boot camp, even as a reservist.
    TriMan1991

--
    19 Sep 2012 08:48 PM
    So with a 6 year reserve, 2 year IRR contract, how ease would it be to reenlist on active duty?
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    19 Sep 2012 08:50 PM
    It would be almost impossible. There's always an extremely small chance, but I wouldn't count on it. If you sign up to be a reserve, be prepared to stay in the reserves as long as you are in the Coast Guard.
    TriMan1991

--
    24 Sep 2012 05:02 PM
    I called the USCG recruiter today… I’m nervous but excited to get the process started! He said that he received my online application (via the USCG web site) and will be reviewing the applications, I should get a phone call on Oct. 8th!

I am still deciding between Active and Reserve, leaning towards reserve because I have a pretty good job lined up and from what I understand, if I get accepted into an OCS class in any branch (including the USCG) my Reserve Enlisted contract is over.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement