Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
New Coastie Maryland advice
Last Post 12 Nov 2012 07:51 AM by GM1USCG_RET. 6 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages Informative
pcenterprise

--
22 Sep 2012 09:14 PM
    hi and thank you for reading this.

I am going to boot camp in about a month. I looked into some info about Maryland, It.spiked my interest. I have so many questions.I am going in as an E-3 with goals to be an.OS and finish school also eventually become an officer. It is my dream to serve in the Coast Guard. my questions are 1. Will I need to find my own housing? Is getting a car important? school is important as well, how soon will I be able to continue my education? As a non rate what should I expect? that is all. My Recuriter is informative but I would like some inside advice.

Thank you
    Rita Parker
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    23 Sep 2012 07:23 AM
    1) It depends on where you get stationed. If barracks/berthing/housing aren't available you'll receive BAH to find your own.
    2) Yes. Especially if you get stationed somewhere that's relatively remote.
    3) As soon as you're fully qualified at your first unit you can start taking college courses.
    4) Expect to do all the scut work. It kinda sucks, but it's necessary. The trick is to be the best dishwasher/painter/bilge diver you can be. Hard work gets noticed and privileges are granted.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    magmam

--
    23 Sep 2012 11:04 AM
    I'm not sure what you want to know about Maryland? Better yet why do you want to know about Maryland?
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Heather.H

--
    23 Sep 2012 01:24 PM
    I lived in maryland for 6 years. Ask away. Id be glad to awnser any question regarding the state
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    23 Sep 2012 02:44 PM
    Also, you really have no idea where you are going to be sent to, You can request maryland in the comments section of the dream sheet but you have a 1 and however many billets are open chance to get it, if its even open.
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    pcenterprise

--
    23 Sep 2012 09:08 PM
    I lived there as a civilian for 6 years as well. But as civilian is one thing but the USCG is another. I just want.to know what is life like in MD for a Coastie? is there a difference things like that.
    GM1USCG_RET

--
    12 Nov 2012 07:51 AM
    I was stationed in Baltimore (Curtis Bay) and in southern MD.  Enjoyed both  places.  There are no cutters in Md with OS aboard, but you will be a non-rate anyway, so that isn't a problem.  You will be cutting grass, painting things (boats, buildings, curbs, sidewalks or whatever else needs painting...) and cleaning things.  Lots of cleaning.  

Why Maryland?  You can cut grass in the summer and shovel snow for a week or two in winter... Until you make SN and go to A school.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement