Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
push ups
Last Post 19 Oct 2012 12:56 PM by captkyguy. 42 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
Basic Member
Basic Member
Heather.H

--
25 Sep 2012 03:07 PM
    i need suggestions how to improve my amount of push ups. times ticking and im stressing
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    cgilliam

--
    25 Sep 2012 03:56 PM
    But I've got promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep. -Robert Frost
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    cgilliam

--
    25 Sep 2012 04:15 PM
    Also, this might seem silly but at my house we have pull-up bar that hangs in the doorway of our spare bedroom, we had a rule that everytime you passed through the door you had to do one pull up. Since our spare room is our music studio/craft room/my closet/where I get ready, we go in and out quite a bit. You could do something like that for pushups!
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Heather.H

--
    25 Sep 2012 04:24 PM
    I wish we could have a pull up bar. Our place has wacky door trim so the bar can't latch onto it =(
    nathanaeljmiller

--
    25 Sep 2012 11:58 PM
    I did that exact same thing...I picked a spot in my house and any time I passed it, I made myself do 10 push ups. That helped me a lot. The best advice I ever got on push ups though, was to just do 100 push ups every night before bed. Doesn't matter if it takes you 2 hours or 20 sets of 5 push ups, or whatever else, just do 100 before you hit the sack. Once I started doing that, I saw my numbers increase dramatically. Someone up there mentioned the 100 push ups program. I think this is great too, and I actually have the app on my phone...but it pushes you a little fast in my opinion. I have strained myself a few times using that program...so be careful if you decide to use it. If your boot camp is sooner than later, I wouldn't suggest using that route. Just my opinion though
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    26 Sep 2012 08:00 AM
    Hit the deck and give us 20 pushups at least 10 times a day, more often if you can. If or when you can do more then 20, give us 30, then 40, then 50 and so on...before long you will be busting out 75 to 100 easily...but hit the deck and do them. You might also want to immediately roll over and knock out as many situps and/or flutter kicks as well, and if feeling froggy, roll back and give us another set of as many pushups you can. You can also throw in a few sets of planks as well. But to make all of thus even better and to really motivate youself about boot camp is too do these exercises while yelling, not just saying, but yelling out your general orders...yell at yourself to do 3 more...get fired up, get a family or friend to push you past the I want to quit stage your mind and body will play on you, then pop tall and yell out your ethos or ranks...just do it, and start right now...HIT THE DECK RECRUIT!
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    ngonzalez

--
    26 Sep 2012 09:57 AM
    I'm also concerned about push ups. I did a practice test with my recruitment office and was only able to do 6 proper form push ups in the 1 minute we are given. I was really surprised because I've been busting out about 15-18 push ups on my training days but turns out I was not using proper form( my hands were to far out). When I first started training I could barely do 5 on my knees! So, my advice...practice, practice, practice! Do 3-5 sets of 15-20 push ups. Doesn't matter how long it takes you, just do them and in proper form! 

Good Luck! 
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ebee

--
    26 Sep 2012 10:28 AM
    Great advice here. My only add-on would be to always do sets of the amount that you need to do for the PT test, which should be 15 for you. If you can't do 15 regular pushups, do as many regular as you can, then switch to your knees. Check out youtube and have someone else watch you to check your form.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    TheBigC1234

--
    28 Sep 2012 02:37 PM
    Don't stress too much but practice and you'll get there. You'll be surprised what 8 weeks of boot camp can do to you. one shipmate couldn't do 1 complete proper push up to start out. he graduated with our company. Needed a little extra attention but he made it. Do as many as you can as fast as you can and soon enough it'll be easier and easier and you'll be fine.
    It's Hammer Time!!
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Heather.H

--
    28 Sep 2012 03:12 PM
    My issue is I can't seem to get low enough of my push up. Its frustrating. I can go as low as a yoga block or atleast a inch about a yoga block
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    28 Sep 2012 03:24 PM
    Try going all the way to the floor and releasing your hands, then push up while keeping your body in good form (it moves as a straight unit), do not let the chest come up first or the bottom end first, all together. If you have access to weight bench and some free weights, use some dumb bell weights to do flys with, wide, narrow, in-between..flys are a very good way to build the chest and push-up strength in addition to lots and lots of push-ups...HIT THE DECK HEATHER AND GIVE US 20...NOW! Yell out general orders 3 5, 9 and 11...DO IT! Do some flutter kicks and back to push-ups...do not get frustrated, get determined and do them.

OK members we need some more motivators here...lets fire up Heather and get her pushing out these pushups in no time :-)
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    ngonzalez

--
    28 Sep 2012 03:28 PM
    try to build up your chest strength. do push ups where you lay flat on your stomach and then push up to a plank position(arms locked) and repeat. then as you progress instead of coming all the way to the floor stop an inch or two above it. don't speed through it, take your time and really feel your chest muscles working, if you feel soreness in your shoulders or upper arms adjust until you feel your chest working. I've been doing this for a week and have already improved my push ups from 5 in a minute to 10. Almost there!
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Heather.H

--
    28 Sep 2012 04:39 PM
    Lol captkyguy you crack me up. But seriously guys thank you for the support and helpful suggestions! It means a lot to me
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    TheBigC1234

--
    29 Sep 2012 06:55 AM
    I failed my push-ups by a half in boot camp (I was slowly on my way up and they called time!). Had to do remedial workouts every morning at 0500. Believe it or not we did more core training than chest. Do some planks (hold proper push up form) for a minute or however long you can. If you can't keep your body straight in proper form than it's core you need to work on. Also in general stronger core will make it easier. Proper form legs straight about 6 inches apart, arms slightly passed shoulder width apart etc also make it easier.

Work out suggestion plank 30 seconds do a couple push ups plank 30 seconds do a couple push ups. Also dips will help your triceps which are also worked during a push up.

They put a brick under your chest I'd say about 4 inches off the ground, hit that then up again.
    It's Hammer Time!!
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    southern118

--
    29 Sep 2012 08:32 AM
    I'm with big on this. Planks will help because then you are using your abs and chest. This is different then trying to force it with just your chest. Every time you are watching tv and a commercial comes on do a plank work your time up then take a small break then knock out a few pushups. Start at 30 sec try to get up to 2 minutes planking and work on pushups
    MikeL

--
    29 Sep 2012 08:53 AM
    I feel like doing as many push ups as you can, then dropping to your knees and going til you can't go anymore helps a ton too. When I first started doing push ups I was able to do about 20-25, then another 10 or so on my knees. I built up to 60 in about a 2 month period. I recently started planking and have felt my lower back and abs get a lot stronger. Can't tell you if it has helped my push up any, but it will help with all those sit ups we'll be doing in boot camp.

Also I found a circuit of a 1 minute plank to 20 push ups to 10 dips (5 sets) has made my upper body a lot stronger too.

Have you tried any different push up variations? Wide push ups, diamond push ups, etc? Those will target different parts of your chest/triceps.
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    30 Sep 2012 08:44 AM
    Heather, if you are reading this then that means you are not doing any PUSH-UPS...Hit the deck and give us 20...DO IT NOW as you scream out general orders, 9, 7, 6, 4, and 2, then do 100 crunches, then another 10 push-ups and 50 flutter kicks as you scream out general orders 11, 3, 1, 5, 8 and 10, then jog 2 miles as you recite in cadence, all the general orders out loud until you finish...then hit the deck and give us 25 more push-ups, then proudly pop up tall!

Sounds like fun :-)
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    dandy

--
    30 Sep 2012 09:13 AM
    Heather if this helps any... I was capable two months ago to do 6 pushups. I downloaded a tabata pushup app on my phone and I can do 16 no problem and I am up to 155 overall in about 10 minutes. I am also a female so I know it is harder for us.
    Planks help tremendously and also keep your body in the up pushup position for as long as you can a few times a day. It has helped me a lot. I sometimes bust out in public places and do 10 pushups out of the blue
    The only thing that will make you do more pushups is doing them and getting your body to do them. You can do it girl!
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    30 Sep 2012 09:19 AM
    Posted By dandy on 30 Sep 2012 10:13 AM
    I am also a female so I know it is harder for us.

That line of thinking is detrimental to your success.  It's also a myth. You can do anything that you put your mind (and effort) to.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    cgilliam

--
    30 Sep 2012 10:09 AM
    I can do more push ups than several boys I know. Because I do them. The reason girls have a problem is because they don't usually do as much strength training as guys.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    dandy

--
    30 Sep 2012 10:46 AM
    Agreed. Its harder for me because of upper body strengt. My arms are toned and muscular but my core back and chest are not half as strong. All I can do is work on it and get stronger!

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    cgilliam

--
    30 Sep 2012 10:58 AM
    Do you lift weights? There are machines that target the different muscles in your back.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    dandy

--
    30 Sep 2012 12:33 PM
    I don't really do many machines except assisted dip and pull up. I do a high intensity workout that is 45 minutes long and is very similiar to crossfit. It has helped me loose ten pounds and 4 inches on my waist
    In just shy of 3 months
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Heather.H

--
    30 Sep 2012 01:17 PM
    I started weight training to strengthn my chest and shoulders. We just got keep at it. I keep repeating in my head dorie from finding nemo "just keep on swimming keep on swimming" lol hard work pays off. But it wouldn't be hard work if it wasn't hard!
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    cgilliam

--
    30 Sep 2012 01:19 PM
    If you did the lat pulldown and mid back row machines with high weight(I usually do failure at 8) and low reps you would really help your back muscles grow.

Congrats on the weight loss! Can I have the 10lbs you lost? I still am just hovering at the min.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Heather.H

--
    30 Sep 2012 03:04 PM
    Ill give you 10 of mine because that's all I have left to lose. What's your height and weight ? What's your min?
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    cgilliam

--
    30 Sep 2012 03:26 PM
    I'll take em! I am 5'0'' and the minimum is 100lbs. I weighed 89lbs when I started the process and now I'm anywhere between 98-100lbs.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    TheLurker22

--
    30 Sep 2012 03:26 PM
    Just an FYI for any female that thinks it's harder for you to do pushups than guys, I'm in police academy now in St Petersburg and had to do untimed pushups to exhaustion as part of the PT curriculum. I thought I did really good by doing 96 without stopping but a female in the class (former National Guard) did 105. It's all mental. If you really want it, your mind will help your body find a way.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    cgilliam

--
    30 Sep 2012 03:44 PM
    @Lurker Agreeeed.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Heather.H

--
    30 Sep 2012 03:53 PM
    You almost got it girl! Just keep on eating lol. When I started in january I was 160 iam 5"4 iam now weighing in at 130
    You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 212 > >>

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement