Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
dismissed misdemeanor possession
Last Post 13 Apr 2017 02:52 PM by Old Guard2. 9 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
wholvsorangesoda

--
26 Sep 2012 12:16 AM
    My husband has alllllways wanted to enlist in the coast guard and has been happier in the last few days with the idea of actually doing it.  However, 8 years ago he was handcuffed after not stopping at a stop sign and had under a gram of marijuana and a pipe in his car.  The possession charges were dismissed for lack of evidence (they did not have it when he went to court) and he paid the fine for not stopping at the stop sign and his record was exsponged.  He was 18 at the time and is now 26 with a Bachelor of Science and excellent employer references. We are of course going to talk to a recruiter, but he is literally sick with worry that he will be denied, cut and dry for a dumb decision he made 8 years ago when he was a kid.  Can anyone shed some light? What are his changes of not getting in? Also, I saw something about him needing to have his record un-exponged, which sounds crazy as I assume they can see any and all records?
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    26 Sep 2012 07:43 AM
    Even if his record was expunged the charges will still appear on a criminal background check. Personally, I would disqualify him. I have too many applicants who have clean criminal backgrounds. Talk to a recruiter though, the worst they can do is say, "No."
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    GeoBurdell

--
    26 Sep 2012 08:38 AM
    Posted By Gears on 26 Sep 2012 07:43 AM
    Even if his record was expunged the charges will still appear on a criminal background check. Personally, I would disqualify him. I have too many applicants who have clean criminal backgrounds. Talk to a recruiter though, the worst they can do is say, "No."

Not talking to a recruiter is also a "No."  Nothing is lost by asking.  I am constantly telling my kids two things: There is no reward in life without a little risk and if it is worth doing it is probably hard.
    wholvsorangesoda

--
    26 Sep 2012 11:15 AM
    We will absolutely still be talking to a recruiter...Thank you for your honest opinion. So even if the charges were dismissed and that was 8 years ago, you would still disqualify him?
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    26 Sep 2012 11:57 AM
    Yes. He was arrested with possession of a controlled substance and paraphernalia. I have far too many applicants who have never been arrested or used drugs who have degrees. I'm looking for the absolute best people I can find, nothing less.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    wholvsorangesoda

--
    26 Sep 2012 12:52 PM
    Sorry, I know I'm hounding you a little here: he was never arrested or processed. They jut detained him for a few minutes and let him go...is that still the same to you?
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    26 Sep 2012 01:11 PM
    Yes. He got lucky he wasn't taken into custody and placed under arrest. But, he still went to court for a hearing for possession. As far as I'm concerned he would be DQ'ed. Another recruiter may feel differently about it.
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    26 Sep 2012 01:55 PM
    I would pass on him as well. He may have turned his life around, but more often than not, these show a propensity to not follow the law. It's too risky in today's recruiting climate.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Taveon Mccall

--
    13 Apr 2017 10:10 AM
    i was currently charged with a misdemeanor of voyeurism but its not what it seems me and my fiends were walking around at this thing at our school called PowerHour and we walked into the bathroom and one of my friends was like it stinks in here and asked me for my phone so i gave it to him he reached over one of the bathroom units and went to my camera and tried to see who it was but he recorded a 5 sec video of another student on the toilet as we walked out laughing my friend handed me the phone i walked up to two of my other friends and showed them the video we laughed and then i deleted video without posting it on social media or sending it to other friends because i know that that would mean big trouble for the kid and me myself. we went to court and had to pay a 465 dollar fine and then it would be done because the investigator said that he just seen it as a dumb decision which it was. i was wondering if i got this expunged will i be able to join the coast guard in a couple of years.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    13 Apr 2017 02:52 PM
    Expunged means nothing. The military can still see it. That's something that would have to be decided by a recruiter. In today's climate of sexual harassment and what the Marines are going through with the voyeurism charges and filming fellow women Marines... That might be a very tough sell. Hard to say though. I would have a very strong, very solid, Plan B in place.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement