Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Navy to Coast Guard
Last Post 28 Dec 2012 07:31 PM by Juggernaut125. 47 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
Juggernaut125

--
05 Oct 2012 11:01 AM
    I am currently in the Navy and would like to switch to the Coast Guard. I have 4 years in active service with one dependent. I am set to get out around July 2013. I have extensive force protection experience and currently I am rated as an OS3. I have several questions. 1. Could I start the application process while I am still in the Navy? (3-4month time frame) 2. What would happen to my rank? 3. Could I become an ME? 4. What type of training would I have to attend boot camp wise? 5. Where ever they station me will they pay for the move like the Navy would? 6. Are dependent benefits the same?
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    05 Oct 2012 11:06 AM
    If you want to be an ME, you would enter as an E-3 and attend full basic training again. After you graduate and have been at your first unit for 4 months, you can place you name on the waiting list for ME school. The current wait for school is 36 months. So it would be about 3.5 years before you got back to E-4. Other schools have slightly shorter wait times, but most range from 1.5-3 years.  All military benefits are the same in the CG as the other branches.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Juggernaut125

--
    05 Oct 2012 07:48 PM
    Would it be possible to lateral over as an OS?
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    05 Oct 2012 08:11 PM
    I don't believe OS3 is currently on our Open Rate List, but you can feel free to try. It would be up to the OS Rating Force Master Chief.
    Juggernaut125

--
    05 Oct 2012 08:23 PM
    The only 2 rates that I could see have anything to do with what I do now is OS and BM. In your opinion could I lateral over to BM?
    Juggernaut125

--
    05 Oct 2012 08:25 PM
    And would it be possible to start applying for the Coast Guard about 3-4 months before I am due to get out of the Navy?
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    05 Oct 2012 08:48 PM
    Right around the 3 month mark should be perfect.
    Juggernaut125

--
    05 Oct 2012 09:21 PM
    Do you think BM would work? or is that up to the Force Master Chief?
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    05 Oct 2012 09:28 PM
    BM isn't on the ORL, and your job wouldn't translate into the BM rating. OS is your best shot unless you wanted to come in as an E-3 and wait for an A school. Either path is a good one.
    Juggernaut125

--
    06 Oct 2012 12:24 AM
    Could I transfer jobs or is it set once you have a job?
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    06 Oct 2012 04:16 AM
    Ok, if you enter as an OS3, you would have to strike BM, with permission of both Rating Force Master Chiefs or go to A-school for BM, with the permission of the Rating Force Masterchiefs.

For BM you will also need to have your Deck Watch Officer exam. It's not necessarily set in stone, but its a pretty good chance that it would be hard to switch from OS to BM seeing as OS is probably considered more in need than BMs.

Navy BMs are extremely specialized. Coast Guard BMs are a jack of all trades. Losing rank to E-3 isn't that big of a deal. Our E-3s do more petty officer work and are "more developed" than other services E-3s.
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    Juggernaut125

--
    06 Oct 2012 08:40 AM
    Loosing rank is more of a pay issue than anything. If I could pick back up with in a year or so then I would be happy. How about switching to ME eventually?
    and how does a Coast Guard OS compare to a Navy OS?
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    06 Oct 2012 08:44 AM
    I'll let FloridaGirl chime in on that. She is an OS3 up in Kodiak, Alaska. It's possible to change ratings down the road, with permission from both RFMCs. You would still have to wait the 36 month wait time for ME school once you got approved and put your name on the school list, so it would be several years down the road. Once you went through the school, you would be an ME3, regardless if you were an OS3/2/1 when you go through school.
    Juggernaut125

--
    06 Oct 2012 02:32 PM
    I emailed a recruiter and here is what he said to me. I asked if i could apply before I got out. No, you need to have DD214 in hand with a RE code of RE1
    Go to our website GoCoastGuard.com, look under prior service. You can talk with your career counselor about taken an ASVAB, prior to getting out. Also you can't have over six years of service. It keeps switching between that and 6 months before I get out between different people.
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    06 Oct 2012 03:32 PM
    Ultimately, we can't enlist you until you're off of active duty. However, we can start the process a little bit before your contract ends. Each office is slightly different. We all follow the same set of rules, but we each operate under some of our own preferences that are within the rules. What area are you in now? Where will you be when your contract ends?
    Juggernaut125

--
    06 Oct 2012 05:47 PM
    I understand that I cant sign a contract while enlisted in the Navy. I was under the impression that you could get things started and be re enlisted into the Coast Guard soon after my current contract ends. I am stationed in Norfolk Va and If it looks like I can make the Switch soon after I am out then it will be in Norfolk. If not then it would be in Texas.
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    06 Oct 2012 06:45 PM
    The process takes upwards of 6 months. There will most definitely be a gap in service between Navy and Coast Guard.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    06 Oct 2012 07:10 PM
    You rang?

Honestly, since I've never been in the Navy, I can't comment on the differences/similarities between what you do in the Navy and being an OS. I guarantee you unless you are on a boat, they are not alike at all.
    Honor: if you need it defined, you don’t have it.
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    06 Oct 2012 08:31 PM
    I've heard in the CG, that an OS3 has the responsibility level of an OS1 in the Navy. Not sure how true that is, but if it is true, it would be a biproduct of our small service size.

Can you go over some of your duties as an OS3 at a COMMSTA? That might help him see some of the differences for himself.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    06 Oct 2012 09:16 PM
    Mostly at a shore-based unit, you will be listening to various radios and frequencies for distress. When you do, you are like a 911 operator. You get all the information, and pass it along to someone else. This person varies by unit, but basically the SMC, SAR mission controller, will plan the response. You will then keep guard with the person in distress. You can become an SMC with experience, but I think you have to be an E-6 or above. Your other duties include making broadcasts and talking to assets. You may or may not work with crypto. This varies by unit, but you will have to know how to use encrypted frequencies since you talk to assets. I have to be very good with crypto at my unit, but I am the only one from my a-school class that actually touches, does a watch-to-watch inventory, and actually works in secure space with classified information on a daily basis.

On a cutter, that's a whole different ball game. There are radar screens to play with, plotting that needs to get done, and lots more that I have no idea about since I have never done it outside of school.
    Juggernaut125

--
    07 Oct 2012 08:52 AM
    In the Navy OS is mainly a sea going job. Dealing with tracking surface and air contact also we help navigate on paper and digitally. We deal with quite a bit with comms as well. and Crypto is a pretty big part of our job.Oh yea we also control helos and some fixed wing. But shore side I heard that some assignments we do similar things as you do shore side but mostly since we are a sea going rate it is instructor duty.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    07 Oct 2012 09:26 AM
    The ship side sounds very similar. However, 80% of OS billets are land units.
    Juggernaut125

--
    07 Oct 2012 02:30 PM
    It sounds very fast paced on shore for you guys. What type of schedule do you work?
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    08 Oct 2012 08:45 AM
    Fast paced...is not how I would describe the OS rate at all. More like 90% boredom, 10% panic. I won't lie. I love my job. It's hella boring. For most people, the 10% awesome isn't enough to make up for the 90% of complete mind-numbing boredum. You you want to go to school though? Great rating for that.

Most schedules involve 12 hour shifts. Rarely do you get 8 hours. So 2 days on, 2 days off. Or 3 days on, 3 days off. I work 2 days on, 2 days off with sliding weekends. So, I will work Mon, Tues, off Wed Thurs, work Fri, Sat, Sun, off Mon, Tues, work Wed, Thurs, off Fri, Sat, Sun. So I can take 2 days of leave and get a week off. It's not a bad trade really. We also switch from days to nights. Some units do this, others do not. We do this every 4 weeks. Some places are ever 2 months, some are other randomness that I don't really understand. But count on 12 hour days and shift work for sure.
    Juggernaut125

--
    08 Oct 2012 08:56 PM
    sounds better than what I deal with now haha. Do you find that Coast Guard people are generally happy? or is there a lot of negativity like the Navy.
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    08 Oct 2012 09:19 PM
    We have a 92.5% retention rate. I'll let that speak for itself.
    Juggernaut125

--
    09 Oct 2012 12:29 AM
    I might be more willing to take the drop to E-3 haha.
    Juggernaut125

--
    09 Oct 2012 12:30 AM
    How long does the Enlistment process take if I have to wait till the day I get out of the Navy?
    Juggernaut125

--
    09 Oct 2012 12:55 AM
    Would it be possible to do the Direct Entry Petty Officer Training Course?
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    09 Oct 2012 08:01 AM
    DEPOT is only for Reserves. The enlistment process can take from 6 months to a year. There's no set time, and there's a lot of variables that increase or decrease that time.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 212 > >>

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement