Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Permanent Profile in the Army
Last Post 27 Nov 2012 05:41 PM by Cooch. 9 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
jrk922

--
05 Oct 2012 10:03 PM
    I am currently Active Duty in the Army and have a permanent physical profile which precludes me from doing the 2 Mile run on the Army PT Test--I am authorized to do the alternate event which is a 2 1/2 mile walk.  Will this hinder me from being able to join the Coast Guard after I ETS next year?
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    05 Oct 2012 10:25 PM
    Yes. You will have to pass all physical fitness standards in recruit training, as well as after recruit training.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    jrk922

--
    05 Oct 2012 10:38 PM
    I can suck it up and run, and I still do cardio on a stationary bike and rowing machines...was just wondering if the history of having it will cause an issue. I'm combat arms and still have to run (usually sprinting short distances)--often with 60lbs of gear on.

Thanks for the speedy reply.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    06 Oct 2012 04:54 AM
    Why do you even have this waiver?
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    06 Oct 2012 05:29 AM
    Bells, that was going to be my next question. Depending on why, the CG may not be an option for you.
    Honor: if you need it defined, you don’t have it.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    sardaddy

--
    24 Oct 2012 09:13 PM
    Having been in the Army and knowing that permanent profiles are not just thrown out there, it would be interesting to hear what the profile is for to provide any sort of an answer. If you can do a PT test, there would be no reason to get a profile in the first place.

To make it pretty cut and dry, if you have a profile in the Army, it won't transfer to the CG. You will still have to pass the standard PT test which goes back to the question of if you can pass a PT test run why do you need a profile?
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    jni3

--
    21 Nov 2012 03:36 AM
    Posted By sardaddy on 24 Oct 2012 09:13 PM
    Having been in the Army and knowing that permanent profiles are not just thrown out there, it would be interesting to hear what the profile is for to provide any sort of an answer. If you can do a PT test, there would be no reason to get a profile in the first place.

To make it pretty cut and dry, if you have a profile in the Army, it won't transfer to the CG. You will still have to pass the standard PT test which goes back to the question of if you can pass a PT test run why do you need a profile?

just because one could pass the apft, doesn't mean they should.  maybe the soldier has knee or back issues and additional running could lead to future problems.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    sardaddy

--
    21 Nov 2012 08:58 AM
    jni3,

I am not sure what you are getting at with my post so please feel free to explain further. You are right that there may be knee or back issues and that may be the reason for the profile. If that is the case they won't be getting into the Coast Guard. The point made my me and Cooch is that he can't come to the Coast Guard and say I want to join but I can only do PT according to this profile. It doesn't work that way.

In the Army it is a huge deal to get even a temporary profile. A permanent profile in the Army takes an act of God. It means you have something physically wrong well beyond that of the norm. That is why I wrote if they can do a PT test there would be no reason to get a profile. If you have enough of an issue to get a permanent profile it will most likely be an issue trying to enlist in another service. It is a challenge just to stay in the Army with a waiver.

For the sake of argument, lets say this person gets into the Coast Guard despite prior issues. The member will still have to complete the CG physical fitness test as is without an optional test. Those parameters don't carry over from the other service.

So to sum up, yes, just because you can pass a PT test doesn't mean you should but if you are going to join the CG you are going to have to. If there is a history of issues that could lead to future problems then you probably won't get in anyway.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    jni3

--
    27 Nov 2012 03:55 PM
    i don't agree with sucking anything up to try to go from the army to the uscg. but the member's profile might not effect his abilities in the uscg. i have a feeling his profile is run at own pace and distance while taking the alternative apft. that eliminates him having to do those long company runs which could hurt him. that doesn't mean he can't run a max of two miles on his own at his own pace. does that mean he could pass the uscg pt test? possibly. also not everyone in the uscg has to do a pt test so he could quite possibly just have to run in basic and never have to worry about running again.
    i don't agree with having an act of god for a permanent profile. have acl/mcl/pcl reconstructive surgery once, you are a great candidate for a permanent profile. i've had my fair share of light duty chits and profiles in my career. i've had these issues and i made it from one service to another with no problems. i'm living proof it can be done.
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    27 Nov 2012 05:41 PM
    But getting in the CG with those surgeries would be damn near close to an act of God. If it wasn't a surgery and he's otherwise healthy but can't run, then yes, he would have to suck it up to join. This isn't a personal attack, it's a fact.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement