Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Army to CG
Last Post 18 Oct 2012 05:56 PM by Cooch. 10 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
ryansil

--
11 Oct 2012 05:22 PM
    I am currently enrolled in the rotary-wing program through the army.  I plan on flying 60's and want to find out about the transition to flying for the CG after my 6 years.  Obviously I am not looking for any specific answers as it is 5 years away but is switching to the coast guard from the Army as a commissioned officer and still flying a possibility?  I have been told that most CG pilots are prior service army.  Additionally, would I retain the same rank?  I assume I would have to attend some type of transition course for the CG 60's.  Again, I don't expect any incredible details, I just want to know if this is a common thing that happens and a possibility for me.  Thanks again, I appreciate the help
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    11 Oct 2012 05:33 PM
    The most CG pilots are prior service Army part is incorrect. It's possible to come over to the CG, but at the moment, there is no direct commission aviator panel. Do you already have a bachelors degree, or are you doing it through the warrant officer program? You will need a bachelors to apply for OCS, and then hope you get picked up for flight training. It's a gamble, especially if you already have a guaranteed spot as an aviator with the Army. Perhaps when you get closer to finishing your contract, the DCA program will be taking people again. It's tough to tell right now.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    ryansil

--
    11 Oct 2012 08:42 PM
    Thanks I appreciate the input.  I do already have a bachelors as I am a 2LT.  I guess I will just have to wait.  Thanks
    ryansil

--
    16 Oct 2012 08:57 PM
    If anyone else has any other insight please let me know
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    17 Oct 2012 07:09 AM
    Chief is a top recruiter for the CG and a well respected member of this forum. There has been no further input because he covered it. That's the answer. Any further input would only mirror pretty much exactly what he said.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    17 Oct 2012 01:11 PM
    I think maybe he was just looking for people that have experience going through the transition.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    sardaddy

--
    18 Oct 2012 03:24 PM
    Actually, old guard he did not cover it all. Cooch does a great job but doesn't deal with pilots all day. I do. I have also been in the OPs shoes so I can provide info that Cooch can't. I didn't see this earlier or I would have replied. Slow day today so catching up.

Ryansil,

First, focus on the Army and flying for them. You might find you really like it if you give it a chance. I liked it right up until the point I didn't.

Switching from the Army to the CG is entirely possible, It is really common. We have special boards dedicated to prior military pilots called Direct Commissioned aviator (DCA) boards. Your chances of getting picked up depends on a few things. One is whether or not a board is convening. There are usually about 1 or 2 a year. Each board could select 3-30 applicants. It is tough to figure out how many will be selected in the next board let alone how many will be selected off boards in 5 years. The next DCA selection panel convenes 3 Dec 12 with no other boards slated until at least after may 2013. We have no idea how many will be selected at that board or when the next board will be.

You also have to meet certain criteria. If you go to the CG recruiting site www.gocoastguard.com and look in officer jobs you will find all the information you need on the DCA program such as flight hours, time in service etc.

Most CG pilots are not prior service Army. DCAs represent just under 40% of the pilots in the CG and that number has probably dropped a bit lower over the last few years.

You will probably not retain the same rank unless you can fanagle a way to come into the CG before you make O3. All DCAs come into the CG as an O2 or lower depending on your rank. O2, O3, O4 come in as an O2. Warrant officers and O1s come in as O1s.

We just got a guy into our unit that was able to tranfer over to the CG after only a few years in the Army since he was able to get a conditional release. If you are really interested that is something you could look into but you will still need to meet all of the DCA requirements.

You will have to attend a transition course but don't expect to fly H60s. We have over 100 H65s and less than 50 H60s. Odds are that you will fly H65s. But either way you will attend a transition course.

If you decide to make the decision to apply for the CG, you can apply for the DCA program or as Cooch mentioned another option is OCS. I probably wouldn't suggest OCS but it is an option if there isn't a DCA board around the time you are trying to make the transition.

I hope that helps.

Good luck in your flying career.

Hope I didn't mirror Cooch.

Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    18 Oct 2012 04:37 PM
    No worries sir. The only thing I would add is that contrary to what the recruiting site says, we have been passed in recruiting that there will not be a DCA panel this year. I will bring it up to the webmaster so that we can avoid confusion.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    sardaddy

--
    18 Oct 2012 05:41 PM
    There is really no panel? That truly surprises me as we have hosted 3 DCA boards in the last 3 weeks and when I talked to recruiting command regarding their incredibly stupid and incredibly vague directions on using the DCA and the OCS interview forms even though the DCA form specifically says not to, they sure made it sound like they were expecting the paperwork for the board. Maybe they are just collecting it for the next round.

I am not sure which site you are referring to by the way. I got my information from the message posted on CGMS.
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    18 Oct 2012 05:51 PM
    It was passed through an email. I was referring to the gocoastguard.com site. I will verify the info tomorrow so that the correct info is passed one way or another.
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    18 Oct 2012 05:56 PM
    I was mistaken. It referred to the AVCAD program, not DCA.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement