Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
BAS vs. Discount meal plan?
Last Post 24 Oct 2012 03:46 PM by SouthernBelle22. 21 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
Topic is locked
Author Messages
Basic Member
Basic Member
tallmans mom

--
18 Oct 2012 05:19 AM
    My son is stationed on a cutter and at the moment he lives on the ship. Sometime soon he is getting an apartment. How does the Coast Guard work BAS? I know that the FS makes breakfast and lunch during the work day and my son has freedom to use whatever he wants in the galley for dinner. If he gets the apartment and assuming he's not going to hang around the ship to get dinner, how do they pay him for his food supplement?

I read about the discount meal plan, where they take a portion, I think $9.90 a day and he gets the rest of the money in his pay check. That $9.90 is supposed to cover all meals, will they only be taking out for breakfast and lunch since that is all the FS is cooking?

Thanks,
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    sardaddy

--
    18 Oct 2012 05:47 AM
    Why don't you ask your son?
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    18 Oct 2012 07:36 AM
    It's one of those mom is wondering, son has a ba-jillion things on his plate, he has better things to worry about then answering silly questions question. So mom comes here, there are pros here that answer questions all day long. How BAS and full, partial, non-payment works, I don't know. One of those things I never paid attention to when it was my fiance or my husband and I figure it is up to Colin to figure out on his own. I just don't care one way or the other. But this mom does care and is wondering.

If you don't want to answer her question, don't. That's ok. There are questions I could probably answer that I chose to let the next guy go for. But I also don't make snide, rude comments about go ask somewhere else. Pretty much, as I have to point out once again, that's what the forum is for. To answer questions, even if they can be answered by someone else. If you are comfortable here, want to throw a question out, either you have an answer or you ignore a question. But to tell people to go look elsewhere, with the excpetion of MEPS questions because none of us are MEPS doctors, that is ludicrous.

Now... Does anyone else actually have anything constructive to answer Mom's question??
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    janelleyfish

--
    18 Oct 2012 08:49 AM
    When my husband lived in a CG leased apartment, he received partial BAS. They deposit the entire BAS amount in your paycheck, and then they take back a portion of it, depending on how often you eat on the ship.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    NargilFenris

--
    18 Oct 2012 09:34 AM
    The type of BAS entitlement you get depends on the unit and messing availabilities. Most likely since he is on a cutter he will get BAS minus discount meal rate.

From our pay manual:
    When an enlisted member is permanently or temporarily assigned to a unit with an Appropriated Fund (APF) dining facility and the member is in the following status of sea duty the BAS entitlement is ENL BAS minus DISCOUNT MEAL RATE.
    If you were hoping for the A Team you will be sorry to know you got the F Troop.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    sardaddy

--
    18 Oct 2012 10:02 AM
    Posted By Old Guard2 on 18 Oct 2012 08:36 AM
    It's one of those mom is wondering, son has a ba-jillion things on his plate, he has better things to worry about then answering silly questions question. So mom comes here, there are pros here that answer questions all day long. How BAS and full, partial, non-payment works, I don't know. One of those things I never paid attention to when it was my fiance or my husband and I figure it is up to Colin to figure out on his own. I just don't care one way or the other. But this mom does care and is wondering.

If you don't want to answer her question, don't. That's ok. There are questions I could probably answer that I chose to let the next guy go for. But I also don't make snide, rude comments about go ask somewhere else. Pretty much, as I have to point out once again, that's what the forum is for. To answer questions, even if they can be answered by someone else. If you are comfortable here, want to throw a question out, either you have an answer or you ignore a question. But to tell people to go look elsewhere, with the excpetion of MEPS questions because none of us are MEPS doctors, that is ludicrous.

Now... Does anyone else actually have anything constructive to answer Mom's question??
    All I asked was a simple question. "Why don't you ask your son?" Her son obviously told her what he was receiving and doing or she wouldn't have known what to ask. This would have been a simple extension of the discussion. He would know the answer since he told her everything else. If he didn't know it obviously wasn't that important to him.

But since you felt like dissecting my comment thinking it was some vile out of line comment, let's expand it a bit.

I truly think it is great when a parent comes on here wondering what what they should wear to their child's graduation or asking what exactly their child would do as a (pick your job), or what life is like in the CG. That is truly awesome. But it gets weird when someone starts asking about how a member gets paid, how their child should wear a uniform, what they need to do to get stationed somewhere etc. If their child wants them to know they will tell them. If their child needs help, that member has a chain of command or can ask on these or other forums as well. I find it incredibly hard to believe that a parent would go to any civilian business forum, if one actually existed, and ask questions like "How does my son get paid?" or " How would my son ask for a raise?" It just wouldn't happen. Why then would anyone consider that acceptable when the CG is the employer?  

It wasn't a snide or rude comment. You just don't like my comments. That's fine. You said you could probably answer other questions that you choose to let the next guy go for. What you didn't say was that you also answer questions that you have no first hand knowledge of but answer anyway. That is fine too. We just answer what we want to. That is what the forum is for.

I have been answering questions on this board since 2006. They are answers from first hand experience. If I don't have the answer but I think I can help, I actually find someone who is in the situation or knowledgable about an issue and provide the answer. Are some of my answers and comments blunt? Yep. When they need to be. If you ever met me you would realize that I have more fun than people legally should but I also have very strong opinions. This particular thread is one of those points that I have a very strong opinion on. Coasties are adults and should be treated as such. 

Old Guard, I am sorry I rub you the wrong way but I don't think this forum wasn't designed to be a touchy feely love fest. It was designed for discussions. If you want everyone to agree, you won't have much of a discussion.  Have a great Coast Guard day. 

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    KD

--
    18 Oct 2012 10:09 AM
    I work at high schools, with college students and , in the past, as a recruiter and trainer for the CCC , a youth development program for ages 18-26. 

It's really, really common for parents to continue to be interested in and participate in their adult children's lives. They make phone calls, do research, even advocate at university levels---more or less, the same age groups as younger military members.  Families maintain much closer relationships lifelong than was common even twenty years ago.

Since it's part of modern life, this forum seems a good place to ask questions without having to be bulletproof.  Very few people in our society have any frame of reference for things military and the systems can be foreign and confusing.

It's not like tallman's mom called her son's unit to butt in. This is a forum full of experts, but it IS a forum, and not part of anyone's chain of command.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    sardaddy

--
    18 Oct 2012 10:53 AM
    If the CG was a university and the parents were footing the bill or focusing on their children's education I would totally understand. I do it with my high school son all the time while he is looking at colleges, and ensuring he is doing well in school but that is completely different. This isn't USCG U. It is a place of employment.

Do you think those same parents that you talk about will go to their children's employer's, their forums, or even just a forum of those employees and advocate for their kids as well? I don't. If they do, their kids will not be working there very long. Every organization's system is foreign and confusing. It doesn't mean the parents should get involved.

Am I really the only one that would be irate if my mother started asking questions to strangers who, for all she knows, work with me about what I am paid, how I am paid, what I should wear to work etc.? I would hit the roof. Especially if she came back to me and said something along the lines of "I asked some people on the internet about your situation and this is how you should get paid. Is that what you are doing? If not, you should really talk to someone." I would probably not speak to her for a very long time. But, hey. Maybe that is just me.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    tallmans mom

--
    18 Oct 2012 11:19 AM
    Thank you all for your replies.

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Bahchic

--
    18 Oct 2012 06:36 PM
    Sardaddy I completely agree, when I was a non rate I had to talk to numerous parents about their childrens paycheck, housing before reporting etc.I always asked "well is your kid alive" if so then they should talk to me not you. It's good to be in your child's life but the Coast Guard is a place of employment and young adult needs to learn how to get answers on their own.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    18 Oct 2012 06:55 PM
    That is PRECISELY why she asked HERE and not called the command. I am fairly confident that she has not made a single phone call to command on behalf of her son. This is something she is curious about and do you know how many children give their parents the answer of "Whatever, I'll figure it out later" or are just so busy at their jobs they don't call home to discuss BAS or BAH or 401K... The kid calls home to find out if Fido had puppies yet or if Sally Jane is still asking about him... So she simply asked the question here where people might be able to explain it. Possibly she did speak to her son about it, he explained it. In Coast Guard speak so it made about ZERO sense. So asking here someone could explain in simple normal person terms, not Yeoman or Coastie speak.

Unless it was an emergency situation with a family thing, someone passed, someone has had a terrible accident, someone has fallen suddenly ill... Something where you might want to contact the command so that there is someone face to face to help lessen any shocking type news... I would never suggest a parent call a command to find out if little Honey Boo Boo is getting the proper pay deposited and allowances given.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    E

--
    18 Oct 2012 07:13 PM
    is your son a nonrate? I just talked to some nonrates and they live in lease housing but get no BAS but receive sea pay. I don't know though. I know southern knew a lot about this.
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    18 Oct 2012 07:15 PM
    When I was on the ship, I lived in housing and did not receive BAS since all three meals are provided by the ship if I chose to eat there.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Trusted Member
    E

--
    18 Oct 2012 10:14 PM
    That's what it was for me. I could eat 3 times on the boat or pay to eat elsewhere. How many people(married especially) are going to wait til 1700 to eat though? I lived on another base and by the time I spent the time driving 15 off my base to the other base, drive 15 through their base, make my own dinner on the boat(was on a 110), drive 15 off base, back through town, 15 on my base, it just made better sense for me to cook my own food at night.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    tallmans mom

--
    19 Oct 2012 07:32 AM
    Sardaddy you assume I spoke to my son about this, I did not. It was simply a question I was curious about. He has so much going on right now I'm not going to bother him with all of MY CG questions.

I thought that is what this message board was about, asking questions, getting answers. Silly me.

If I'm wondering about this issue then I'm sure I'm not the only one. Coasties have the option to ask their chain of command, I do not. So I ask here, where people have gone through the process, where they might be kind enough to share their knowledge. If you choose not to share your knowledge then fine, but I really don't need a lecture from you about what I can and cannot ask.

Just because my son is an adult with his own job does not mean I'm going to stop being involved in his life. If my son was a doctor or an astronaut or a ditch digger I'd still have questions about his day to day world. Now don't mistake being involved in his life as meddling. I would never even think to call his superior, but yeah, if I have questions I'm gonna ask someone. Am I going to call his boss, hell no, but I might ask a friend who's a ditch digger about their job.

You have made it perfectly clear you don't agree with my types of questions or my parenting style. That's your right. It's also your right to post your comments on here, mine as well. I just don't understand why you feel the need to berate me about what I choose to ask. Your comments are not going to stop me from being curious about the policies and procedures of the CG and it's not going to stop me from asking questions. My son is a perfectly capable adult that managed to earn himself a spot in the Coast Guard, I'm sure he is more than capable of asking his command if HE has questions.

To those that took your valuable time to share your knowledge I thank you.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    KD

--
    19 Oct 2012 07:38 AM
    Stand your ground TM.
    If someone wouldn't talk to his mom anymore because she asked a question, well, then, best case scenario is: maybe he won't talk to you anymore, either!!  No worries.

Your question was innocent, you got good answers in good faith from others and no harm is done.  When they lock down questions from family, they will let us know...but if that happens I know other places you can ask for info, where no one growls or bites. 
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    sardaddy

--
    19 Oct 2012 07:58 AM
    "If my son was a doctor or an astronaut or a ditch digger I'd still have questions about his day to day world."

Of course you would have questions and of course you would be involved in his life. That is what moms do but there are limits. Asking someone about their job is a lot different than asking specific questions regarding pay policies and how to dress for the job. Point blank question to you. Would you go to an astronaut forum and ask other astronauts who work with your son or know someone who works with your son and ask them questions about how exactly their pay system works or how your son should wear his uniform to work? Do you not think there could be repercussions for him? That is exactly what you are doing here.

There is a huge difference between being interested in your child's job and being an obsessive helicopter mom to a grown man. Of course you are free to ask any questions you want it is a free world. All I am saying is look at it from an outside perspective. Why would a mother ask anyone, including her son, how much they get paid or how their pay system works? That is ettiquette 101. It just isn't done unless you are managing someone's finances.  Or as I as I said, repercussions. What if someone on here is stationed with your son. Have you ever been in a military unit? Do you know the ribbing, usually in fun, sometimes not, that a member could get because someone saw his mommy asking questions like the ones you pose on here? So all I am saying is feel free to ask questions, just consider what you are asking before you do.

Of course, if you were really "just interested" in your son's job and finances your son is just as much of an expert as everyone else on these boards about what HE is getting paid. That is why I said, why don't you ask your son. Who better to answer questions about your son's job than your son. If you are interested in his job, don't you think he would be happy to talk to you about it. He would probably feel great that you are interested in his job and who doesn't want to talk to their mom about the cool things they are doing. I am sure he would love to talk to his mom about every penny he earns.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    KD

--
    19 Oct 2012 08:01 AM
    Well, I did say it was the 'best case scenario.'
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    19 Oct 2012 08:44 AM
    Posted By KD on 19 Oct 2012 08:38 AM
    but if that happens I know other places you can ask for info, where no one growls or bites. 

I think I know of what place you speak....Yes, you turn to fun filled weekends on the beach with other crazy ladies.  Don't deny it.  I've seen you talk of it. LOL.
    Honor: if you need it defined, you don’t have it.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    KD

--
    19 Oct 2012 08:58 AM
    FG!!! I had on my cloak of invisibility!! :-O
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    19 Oct 2012 09:57 AM
    Time to lock this one. The question has been answered.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    SouthernBelle22

--
    24 Oct 2012 03:46 PM
    I agree with janelleyfish. My husband and I were talking to his recruiter right before he left for basic, and he informed us that if he's stationed on a cutter that they'll deposit money into the account for BAS, but keep a partial amount to pay for what he'd use on a cutter.
    Topic is locked

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement