Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Obama won. What is ahead of us?
Last Post 27 Nov 2012 10:57 AM by captkyguy. 12 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Basic Member
Basic Member
Kchan

--
07 Nov 2012 02:53 AM
    So I am sure many of you on the forums are keeping active in the elections and Obama won. I would like to hear your thoughts, concerns or anything related to the 2nd term of Obama. I would also like to ask about his plans for military spending, specifically Coast Guard. I know he wants to reduce the forces of the Army (70,000 personnel  cut) and Marines (18,000 personnel cut) but I wonder what does this mean to our beloved CG. Would people trying to come in for FY14 and beyond find it impossible to get in, or not even be considered by a recruiter because of a traffic ticket?

edit: Oh and do you guys think sequestration will happen? (The 500 billion automatic cuts to the military)
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    07 Nov 2012 05:04 AM
    The fate of the CG can be discussed... No political discussion as to good, bad or indifferent about President Obama will be had. You want to debate the political position of this nation, go to a political forum. This is nothing but a powderkeg and it will not be had. Like him, hate him, I don't care... He is the President, that's the end of the sentence.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    07 Nov 2012 08:46 AM
    Military cuts were bound to happen regardless of who inhabits the Oval Office. We are scaling back two different wars, and our nation needs to reduce its deficit. We've had an abundance of personnel in the military over the last decade, so it makes sense to reduce numbers. I'm sure the CG will not be exempt from these budget cuts, but it won't be as bad as its made out to be by pundits. Strong performers will remain on the job, and below average employees will have to seek employment elsewhere. That's not a bad thing. We've operated with lower budgets and less personnel in the past, and we can do it again successfully.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Kchan

--
    07 Nov 2012 01:26 PM
    Ah, Old Guard it was not in my intention to start any trouble or ignite any powder keg. I thought that since it can relate to the CG I thought it was appropriate in the Sports & Grill section. If not please accept my sincere apology and delete this thread. Again I do not mean any ill intent.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    07 Nov 2012 01:57 PM
    Absolutely no offense was taken at all. I have just seen things like this ignite quickly. Just as I was "saying" we won't discuss it with sincerity, you read it as somewhat hostile. It wasn't and I'm sorry it sounded that way. I can say I absolutely Love Obama, greatest thing since sliced bread and that will make someone mad. Then again I may say he is the biggest putz we ever had in the white house and someone else gets mad. Just cutting off the potential ill will among shipmates before it even begins.

If this was a round table, face to face discussion where we could see each others expressions, hear tones, look each other in the eye and still be able to shake hands... Lets go! Let's debate, discuss, argue... then let's go out for a beer afterward still friends. On an internet forum, it has the potential to lead to an impossible ground to recover from.

I just hope everyone voted! Don't allow your voice not to be heard. If you were on the winning or losing side... The more people that state their mind, the better the next round of people selected might be. If we bury our heads in the sand with the attitude of "my vote doesn't matter anyway" they'll just keep putting up the same people, like them or not. Always vote when election day comes around. Let yourself be heard, with praise or frustration at the candidates offered! If they are truly bad selections, get involved, put yourself out there and help institute change if you feel it is necessary!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    KD

--
    08 Nov 2012 11:10 PM
    Since you brought up voting, OldGuard2, I'll share a concern I find much more disturbing than who's the current tenant in the White House. On several other CG support pages and forums, I have heard multiple personal reports of military personnel and spouses failing to get their absentee ballots in a timely fashion-- or at all.
    So far I know of my son, whose ballots for the last two elections were mailed to him late. He is landbased and INCONUS, so he could follow up by phone and email, and was able to nag local elections personnel into coughing the ballots up.

But--I have also been told of an instructor and wife from TRACEN Petaluma, a student at TRACEN Yorktown, the better part of an entire unit in Puerto Rico, a young non-rate on a cutter in port in San Diego, a career Marine and his wife (with a Coastie son) stationed in Germany---ALL of whom did not get their ballots at all. All properly registered in their counties of residence.
    These are just from the last two days, and just the ones I've had opportunity to chat with, them or their family members. Other family members told me of entire deployed units from different branches who lost their opportunities to vote because ballots never arrived, or were so late they couldn't be returned before elections.

If any other demographic group were disenfranchised wholesale, intentionally or not, there would be riots.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    09 Nov 2012 05:33 AM
    Colin registered to vote in Washington when he got to Seattle, he basically got his ballot right then and there (he was underway for election day), he filled it out and turned it in. But I too have heard of many military members not getting the chance to vote. I think that is something that needs to seriously be investigated. If it would have changed the results one way or another, I don't know, I don't care... What I care about is their voices not being heard. Even if you vote one of the more "off the grid" candidates... that is your voice. You aren't happy with the Republicans or the Democrats. Maybe that will force both the main stream parties to look at their choices and put someone up we might actually consider. Maybe you are happy with your party, you need to be able to support them as well.

That needs real Congressional and Senatorial investigation. I couldn't possibly agree more that people that want to vote, should be able. If they aren't getting their ballots, someone needs to do something about that.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    09 Nov 2012 08:17 PM
    I've voted absentee for years via MI. It might be an issue with the State itself. Anytime I contact the Secretary of State's office to renew my license, registration, vote, say hell, they are on it 100%. I've never had a problem.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    janelleyfish

--
    26 Nov 2012 03:21 PM
    What really irks me about absentee ballots is that they are only counted as a tie breaker. I've voted in every election since I turned 18, but I've only voted by absentee ballot...so my vote has never been counted since I'm a resident of a historically blue state. The votes of entire groups of people (i.e., military, college students) are not counted.
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    26 Nov 2012 04:22 PM
    Not a fan of the electoral votes of the states being the deciding factor...why should one state have more electoral votes than another...should just be the candidate with the most votes at the end of the day wins...and all votes should be counted, period!
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    KD

--
    27 Nov 2012 06:17 AM
    I am way more disturbed by uncounted votes (and therefore disenfranchised voters), especially in blocs like military voters, than by the electoral college. We are not , after all, a democracy.
    We are a representative republic, and though it is flawed, the electoral college was intended to subvert mob rule....mob rule kind of like we have in CA, with its out-of-control, possibly unconstitutional initiative process.

I'm starting to wonder if there's some value to Heinlein's ideas....what if instead of valuing the military's votes so little that they are not counted, military service was the only route to citizenship? It won't happen, and probably shouldn't, but there is good reason 'Starship Troopers' has been on the military academies' reading lists for so long.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    janelleyfish

--
    27 Nov 2012 06:54 AM
    I agree - all votes should be counted, period. When they release the percentage of voters in each age category, I wonder if they include absentee voters? In other words, if they say only a small percentage of young people vote...maybe that's not true? Maybe it's a high percentage, and they're just not counting absentee ballots? Since many young people are probably away at college, in the military, etc.
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    27 Nov 2012 10:57 AM
    I was not a fan of the military at 18…but learning and knowing what I know now, I feel it would benefit us as a whole, for mandatory military enlistment from ages 16 to 20, but for sure 18 to 22, with the completion of education required afterwards… Could be a good topic for port and report.

Excellent points KD...
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement