Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
boot camp?
Last Post 20 Nov 2012 09:36 PM by domperilli. 17 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
domperilli

--
19 Nov 2012 12:33 PM
    Hi All-

Sorry for posting so many threads. This site is just too informative to not take advantage.

I'm applying for Reserves here in Philadelphia. I spoke to my recruiter today and had a pre-screening done. He sent me the application and med eval forms. 

My question: Is it realistic to think I'll be able to have my ass in bootcamp in Summer 2013?
    guard45

--
    19 Nov 2012 12:43 PM
    Reserves yes. If all goes well on the asvab and medical. I applied last February and went to Meps in march and if I had scored high enough on the asvab my recruiter told me he would have a ship date by June or July so that was about 3-4 month wait.. not too bad. but yeah study for the asvab it's important
    domperilli

--
    19 Nov 2012 12:46 PM
    Thanks. I appreciate it. Did you get the job you requested?
    guard45

--
    19 Nov 2012 12:48 PM
    I didn't score high enough on the asvab for any job.. but I have studied a whole bunch and am ready to take it soon! I was going for BM or ME but was told ME school is backed up so BM forsure
    domperilli

--
    19 Nov 2012 12:56 PM
    Hmm. I wonder what the scores need to be for BM/ME. 

Do you have any idea of what brand new ME's do at boat stations?
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ebee

--
    19 Nov 2012 12:58 PM
    If you meet the minimum requirements, it depends a lot on your circumstances (if you have any past medical issues you have to get cleared, how quickly you can get required paperwork), how busy your recruiter is, how many open billets there are in your area, and how flexible you are in terms of scheduling stuff like meetings with your recruiter and MEPS/ASVAB appointments.

At your first meeting with your recruiter, he/she should be able to tell you if that's a realistic timeframe.

When I was looking at the reserves, my first meeting with the recruiter was in April, and if I was still going for the reserves I would be looking at early 2013 boot camp dates at the soonest. However, I had some med issues that took a while to clear up (took me forever to find records of ear tubes when I was little and I had to get an outside consult for a heart issue after MEPS, which I'm actually still waiting to hear back about).

If the stars align, I think that you could get a summer ship date, but like I said there are a lot of factors that play in to it.
    guard45

--
    19 Nov 2012 01:03 PM
    VE+AR have to equal 100 or above so meaning world knowledge plus reading comprehension and arithmetic reasoning. I was a few shy of that sadly but you also have to have a good afqt score too. I would say minimum 50. line scores matter for reserves a lot btw
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    19 Nov 2012 01:27 PM
    Only list on your medical forms documented facts…do not list any I think I had, or mom and dad thought I had…only documented facts…then start gathering up all those documents…you will need them at MEPS. Good luck!
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    domperilli

--
    19 Nov 2012 03:12 PM
    I took a practice ASVAB today with these results:

VE+AR = 144
    guard45

--
    19 Nov 2012 03:38 PM
    then you might do good. I room the practice asvab and was scoring all in the 60s and 70s but when I got to the real thing I guess I slipped up from the time limit and nerves.
    guard45

--
    19 Nov 2012 03:39 PM
    did* not room . stupid iPhone
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    20 Nov 2012 11:53 AM
    MEs at boat stations work in the armory. They don't really get underway.
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    dandy

--
    20 Nov 2012 06:08 PM
    I wanted to go ME until I saw the wait list for A-school that just came out. I wasn't sold on ME, I was torn between 3 rates, but now that the list says over 48 month wait, ME is not happening for me at this point unless a miracle happens in the next few months before I put my name on a list.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    20 Nov 2012 07:08 PM
    The thing is, you never know when a school can bust open or slow down to a dead crawl. A list today that has a 48 month wait, 3 months from now, can have a wait time of 6-12 months. Same way it can happen in the other direction. You put your name on the list of a school that has 12 month wait... BRAKES screeshing and suddenly it is 36 months +. SO while the wait times are alarming don't base today based on a guess of what it might be tomorrow.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    dandy

--
    20 Nov 2012 08:12 PM
    Old Guard: Yea I know, but I do check that list out every month for the last few months and when I saw most went from over 36 months to over 48 months my jaw dropped! That is a long time to be an E3 and especially at my old age!!!

I am qualified for Officer, but I want some time under my belt and will be applying in 2013, but I am getting to that point where age matters!
    domperilli

--
    20 Nov 2012 08:15 PM
    I wish I could enlist, but apparently even though I haven't taken ADD medication (I don't need it) for two years, I still can't
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    20 Nov 2012 09:07 PM
    Can't is a harsh word...probably very accurate, but never say can't, always try! Even if just a .01% chance there is still a chance. Do not just lay down and quit, that is what MEPS wants you to do, submit something and make them say no...and if it were me I would bump it up the chain and make them say no again...and maybe even again...oh I have already done that...still heard the word no quite loudly. But the hail mary pass works every now and then, might as well throw it and see what happens.

I sent you a PM domperilli
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    domperilli

--
    20 Nov 2012 09:36 PM
    I didn't get a PM. Shoot it over again
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement