Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
AD Air Force to AD Coast Guard
Last Post 08 Aug 2013 03:47 PM by Bells. 11 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
patt22

--
30 Nov 2012 10:14 PM

Quick question, I am currently an Active duty Air Force firefighter. I have done my research and know what it would take for me to cross over into the Coast Guard. I just need some more info about the ORL and other options. I know that the Coast Guard does not offer firefighting nor do I want to do firefighting once I cross over. My question is as a current E-4 with 3 1/2 years AD could I join the Coast Guard and do any job? If so would I have to wait for A school like i know most brand new members are required to do? Thank you!

Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    30 Nov 2012 10:18 PM
    Yes, you could do any job that you qualify for on the ASVAB (you will have to take that again). Unfortunately, yes, you will have to wait on the A school list like anyone else. It takes time, but it is worth it in the end.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    patt22

--
    30 Nov 2012 10:31 PM

Okay thank you! So with me having to wait for a job that probably means i will have to go through basic again correct? Not the DEPOT training? What are the wait times on A schools? And which rates do you recommend if i want to be on a ship, but not working in mechanics?

Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    30 Nov 2012 10:41 PM
    Correct, you would go through basic again. The current A school wait times are located in the frequently asked questions section. Most are around 2-3 years. To get a ship, you could simply ask for it in the comments section of your dream sheet in boot camp. You have about a 50/50 shot.
    patt22

--
    30 Nov 2012 10:51 PM
    One more question. would I maintain my rank as E4 or go in as E3?
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    30 Nov 2012 10:54 PM
    You would come in as an E-3. You would get back to E-4 once you graduate from A school.
    prorodeo100

--
    07 Aug 2013 09:29 AM
    The Coast Guard does have a few bases that have fire departments. You would just have to see if your ASFC would transfer over to the Coast Guard.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    07 Aug 2013 10:00 AM
    Posted By prorodeo100 on 07 Aug 2013 09:29 AM
    The Coast Guard does have a few bases that have fire departments. You would just have to see if your ASFC would transfer over to the Coast Guard.

It won't.
    Honor: if you need it defined, you don’t have it.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    08 Aug 2013 12:29 AM
    Ratings that are not engineering that are pretty heavily sea-going include boatswain mate which is the best rating of all time, anddd FS which is a cook, anddd ETs are kind of both operations and engineering depending on the ship. SKs can get underway but dont much. Same with YNs. GM can get underway but.. I've never worked with one.
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    jni3

--
    08 Aug 2013 03:08 AM
    way to dig up an old thread
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    08 Aug 2013 07:11 AM
    We don't delete old threads just in case someone has something to add, a question that has already been answered might be able to be found, someone might be in a similar situation and just continue the discussion instead of starting over. I don't care if someone posts on a thread from 2007, if they want to, they can.

You seem to be having a little bit of an issue with the forum today... If you would like to talk about it, please PM me. But please don't bash, even subtly, on the forum. That's not what we like to promote.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    08 Aug 2013 03:47 PM
    Ya I didn't even notice it was an old thread I just answered the question because I thought I was helping someone.
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement