Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Can I Join the USCG?
Last Post 09 Dec 2012 09:19 PM by captkyguy. 2 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
SW747

--
02 Dec 2012 06:34 PM
    Hello, I was interested in joining the army/marines but unfortunately due to a past history with depression & anxiety when i was younger it has prevented me from being able to join. My military friends keep telling me to lie when i apply but i refuse to do that, the only thing worse then not being accepted would be receiving a dishonorable discharge for lying. Another friend of mine mentioned to me that the US Coast Guard may hold different standards. I tried researching USCG medical standards but could not find much information. I have never had any hospitalizations, suicidal thoughts, or suicide attempts. Also I have not taken any mind altering medications for over a year. I do currently see a psychiatrist who said that she would be more then happy to sign any medical waivers for me. I feel that i would be a good candidate for the USCG because i am very used to stressful situations. I have been a firefighter for nearly four years and a Certified First Responder "CFR, one level lower then EMT" for over a year. If their was a possible future in the USCG I would not apply right away, I would wait about two years to continue to better myself. 

If this is the wrong section to post this, or against any T.O.S i apologize.  Thanks.

Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    02 Dec 2012 06:38 PM
    No. Unfortunately, your disqualification applies to all the services. Good luck in whatever else you decide to pursue.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    09 Dec 2012 09:19 PM
    Actually the CG is more strict with the standards than the other branches…but has Chief states all branches of service use the exact same medical enlistment standards…some might be willing to request a waiver more than others..but it is very tough to near impossible to get such a request these days, simply too many qualified applicants without any medical history waiting for a chance to enlist.

pg 46… http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/...13003p.pdf

289. LEARNING, PSYCHIATRIC, AND BEHAVIORAL
    History of depressive disorders, including but not limited to major depression (296), dysthymic disorder (300.4), and cyclothymic disorder requiring outpatient care for longer than 12 months by a physician or other mental health professional (to include V65.40), or any inpatient treatment in a hospital or residential facility.
    g. Depressive disorder not otherwise specified (311), or unspecified mood disorder (296.90), UNLESS:
    (1) Outpatient care was not required for longer than 24 months (cumulative) by a physician or other mental health professional (to include V65.40).
    (2) The applicant has been stable without treatment for the past 36 continuous months.
    (3) The applicant did not require any inpatient treatment in a hospital or residential facility.
    h. History of a single adjustment disorder (309) within the previous 3 months, or recurrent episodes of adjustment disorders.

I can share more in PM if you would like...
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement