Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Discussing Legalization of Marijuana and Coasties
Last Post 29 Oct 2013 10:08 PM by KD. 10 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Trusted Member
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bells

--
06 Dec 2012 11:03 AM
    Alright from another thread this is why I am kicking this off:

RO Ventura 06 Dec 2012 09:16 AM

As a recruiter we can disqualify OCS applicants if they do not stand up to the Core Values of the Coast Guard. Case in point we had a stellar applicant walk thru our doors had his OSC paper work in order what dress in suit and tie. Everything was great on paper but as we went along with the interview there were some qualities he was lacking some questions in the back of my mind about him. He later said he has a medical marijuana card and didn’t see why he needed to stop using if a Doctor prescribed him this medicine for his stress. His package did not got up and was disqualifed. So it all depends on the recruiter as well as the board to catch these things they call it the whole person concept and we can disqualify even people going enlisted based on that.

Bells 06 Dec 2012 09:35 AM

Woooow. I can see the legalization of marijuana in WA and CO becoming an issue with this also. They had a smoke party at the Space Needle last night and I could smell it all over my neighbors houses. Pretty Annoying

OldGuard 2 06 Dec 2012 09:45 AM

Since it is still a federal offense it is pretty black & white about a Coastie smoking. But I know once Colin and I were at a concert... Velvet Revolver and Alice in Chains... needless to say, there was a lot of smoking going on! A lot a lot! I have never actually done it myself but that night I was higher than a kite and I never touched a single thing. We went to the local diner for dinner after and Colin thought I was going to eat the plate... damn munchies. So what happens when you live in an apartment complex and the guy next door is sitting on his balcony, puffing away because it is now legal. Colin goes to work the next day and has a surprise wiz quiz, then he pops positive for, what I imagine, would be trace evidence but he never touched anything. Then what?!?!?! How do you sheld yourself from the second hand contact in states where it is completely legal by the states authority??

By the way, this concert was about 3 years before he enlisted and like me, never touched the stuff. It was all 2nd hand smoke, contact high. Just in case anyone is wondering.

Bells 06 Dec 2012 09:53 AM

I feel like a message is going to have to come out outlining expectations... today it was brought up if spouses could keep it in the house and smoke... which I don't think the CG would be to happy with, and a lot of that when it comes down to it would be determined during investigstions and masts at COs descretion.

For the most part though I have never heard of someone popping positive from second hand smoke, but I feel like alot of people are going to use that as an excuse especially around here.

I'm just going to continue to stay away from it, because say for example, there is a party, and there is pot aound, and it gets busted, and the coasties weren't smoking but they were drinking, and their names were passed to their commands by the police just as heads ups. The command is probably still going to be pissed and might hand out AIs, if not charges for beinging discredit to the CG.

Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    06 Dec 2012 11:26 AM
    To address one thing, you can't test positive from breathing second hand smoke. The THC levels aren't high enough to register on a test, so that excuse will be discarded immediately. So long as marijuana is a schedule 1 drug, it will be illegal for us to use it, regardless of the state laws.

My personal view is whether there are medicinal values or not, the staggering majority of people with a medical marijuana card obtained that prescription through pure bulls**t. In California, you can obtain the card for anxiety or headaches. That means its incredibly easy to get, proving my point that its BS. For the people that have successfully used it to treat serious medical conditions, fine. But for all the potheads that are out there preaching about the "life saving" qualities of the drug, spare me the act. When you laugh and giggle at the legalization vote, your true colors are revealed, and it has nothing to do with medicinal qualities.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    06 Dec 2012 11:54 AM
    Its a joke here I can't wait to transfer.

I see random drug tests in our immediate future. Just like all the companies that just fired a bunch of people for popping positive. I agree with them, you want your job, and we have a drug free policy, and you smoked because its legal now, great now we just have grounds to fire all of you. No unemployment either.
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    09 Dec 2012 09:08 PM
    A tricky situation for sure…

I am very curious how this will affect our hiring policy in the fire department…we were very strict on its use when I was involved with hiring our new recruits…I had to tell many they were disqualified for any use within 1 year of applying or for excessive use. Just wonder what they will decide if an applicant from Washington or Colorado applies, scores high enough, has a clean background and such…but freely smokes Marijuana in his/her respective state since it is now legal like drinking or cigarettes. Tough to hold them to the no use policy since we are state not federal…interesting.
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    ClaytonR

--
    10 Dec 2012 05:30 AM
    I don't think it will affect hiring or backgrounds that much. We(myself, co-workers and some supervisors) discussed it the other night. We still have a no-use policy, just as we have a no visible tattoo policy, just as we have a no tobacco policy...we will enforce our policies in hiring the same as we have.

We also discussed, even though some states legalized it, it can still be a federal offense...and thus they'd be DQ'd because they knowingly/intentionally violated federal law.

I think, though, that if it is a department or branch or workplace policy, that's that.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    10 Dec 2012 08:00 AM
    Who has a no tobacco policy? Not the CG. I know many, many, MANY Coasties that smoke. During boot camp there is a no smoking thing other than that, if the smoking lamp is lit, smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    ClaytonR

--
    11 Dec 2012 12:47 AM
    Sorry, "we" is the sheriff's department I work for. I have also seen other departments putting them in place.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    07 Feb 2013 08:39 PM
    Finally put out a message:

R 051455Z FEB 13

ALCOAST 043/13
    COMDTNOTE 5810
    SUBJ: USE OF MARIJUANA, SPICE, AND BATH SALTS UNDER THE UCMJ
    A. Coast Guard Drug and Alcohol Abuse Program, COMDTINST M1000.10
    (series)
    B. Uniform Code of Military Justice, 10 U.S.
    C. Ch. 47 (2012) C. COMDT COGARD WASHINGTON DC 222045Z DEC 10/ALCOAST
    605/10
    D. COMDT COGARD WASHINGTON DC 191443Z MAY 09/ALCOAST 297/09
    E. COMDT COGARD WASHINGTON DC 220024Z DEC 11/ALCOAST 575/11
    F. COMDT COGARD WASHINGTON DC 272152Z DEC 12/ALCOAST 546/12
    1. Drug abuse undermines morale, mission performance, safety, and
    health and will not be tolerated within the Coast Guard. The use,
    possession, manufacture, and distribution of marijuana, synthetic
    marijuana ("spice"), and synthetic designer drugs known as "bath
    salts" by servicemembers constitutes a serious breach of discipline,
    violates Coast Guard policy, and is illegal under the Uniform Code of
    Military Justice (UCMJ) IAW Refs (a)-(c).
    2. This past election season, voters in the States of Washington and
    Colorado approved ballot initiatives to legalize the use and
    possession of small amounts of marijuana in those jurisdictions.
    Seventeen other states have legalized marijuana use for medical
    purposes. Regardless of these state measures, using, growing,
    selling, distributing, or possessing any amount of marijuana remains
    illegal under the UCMJ. Active duty servicemembers are subject to the
    UCMJ at all times, regardless of leave status or geographic location.
    Reservists on active duty are also subject to the UCMJ. A
    servicemember who uses marijuana purportedly in compliance with state
    or foreign law is nevertheless still in violation of Art. 112a, UCMJ,
    and may face adverse administrative or disciplinary action to include
    separation from the service and/or trial by court-martial. The
    maximum punishment for a single specification of marijuana use is
    five years confinement and a dishonorable discharge.
    3. Servicemembers are also reminded that the unauthorized use of any
    intoxicating substance, other than the lawful use of alcohol or
    tobacco products, that is inhaled, injected, consumed, or introduced
    into the body in any manner to alter mood or function is prohibited
    IAW Ref (a). These substances include, but are not limited to,
    controlled substance analogues as per Ref (c) (e.g., "bath salts",
    which is the street name for the group of synthetic drugs packaged
    similarly to common household bath salts, the ingestion of which is
    for the intended purpose of causing a mind altering high, designer
    drugs such as spice that are not otherwise controlled substances),
    inhalants, propellants, solvents, household chemicals, and other
    substances used for huffing, prescription or over-the-counter
    medications when used in a manner contrary to their intended medical
    purpose or in excess of the prescribed dosage, and naturally
    occurring intoxicating substances as per Ref (d) (e.g., Salvia
    divinorum). The possession of any intoxicating substance described in
    this paragraph, if done with the intent to use in a manner that would
    alter mood or function, is also prohibited. Both use and possession
    of such substances is a violation of the punitive lawful general
    order issued by the Commandant in Ref (c) and recapitulated in Refs
    (e) and (f). Violation of Ref (c) is punishable at court-martial
    under Art. 92(1), UCMJ, and carries a maximum penalty of two years
    confinement and a dishonorable discharge.
    4. Questions about disciplinary options under the UCMJ should be
    directed to your servicing legal office.
    5. POC: LT Amanda Lee, COMDT (CG-0946), Amanda.M.Lee(at)uscg.mil or
    (202)372-3811.
    6. RADM F. J. Kenney, Judge Advocate General, sends.
    7. Internet release authorized.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    08 Feb 2013 07:59 AM
    That sums it up and pretty much ends all discussion.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    catedav

--
    24 Oct 2013 02:41 AM
    Marijuana legalization laws forecasted to have financial benefits. Contrary to popular belief, Washington state and Colorado did not legalize cannabis. As the substance is still regulated, voters in those states really passed cannabis decriminalization laws. Semantics aside, those states are poised to reap economic advantages of doing so, not least of which being million in tax revenue.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    KD

--
    29 Oct 2013 10:08 PM
    And......?
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement