Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
OCS after boot with 70+ credits?
Last Post 01 Jan 2013 09:10 AM by jbmontgomery75. 18 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Basic Member
Basic Member
JohnnyG

--
06 Dec 2012 08:27 PM
    Good evening, 

I was planning on enlisting and finishing my degree to apply for OCS later on down the road. 
    But I just left ASVAB testing, and talked to my recruiter, with my scores and amount of school completed, he said I would be able to apply for OCS right out of boot. 
    I'm not asking if I'm competitive enough, I am just trying to get a confirmation on what program he is talking about. (Un)Fortunately, he is busy with his child's birthday, so I didn't want to hold him too long. 

Also, when we first met, he told me about an officer program for enlistee's to get guaranteed flight school (provided the pass OCS)? Is that still a thing?And if so, will my 70+ credits count for that, or will I need to apply the traditional way, with a degree? If it helps, I got a 95 AFQT and 124 GT score. 

Thanks for the help!!

Johnny
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    06 Dec 2012 08:56 PM
    The only way you can apply for OCS right after recruit training, is if you have a bachelors already.
    The Wilkes Flight Iniative is the only program that offers a guaranteed spot in flight training after OCS, but it only applies to students in the cspi program. It's not available to anyone else. With your amount of credits, I would look into applying for the cspi program, where the CG pays for your final two years of college, then sends you straight to OCS when you graduate. You just have to attend or plan on attending a historically black, Hispanic, or tribal university.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    JohnnyG

--
    06 Dec 2012 09:42 PM
    Thanks Cooch! I wasn't sure what he meant, I probably misunderstood.
    But I still plan on enlisting, GPA isn't competitive enough, right now :[
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    06 Dec 2012 10:00 PM
    With 60+ credits. You could apply for OCS after 4 years of service and having reached the paygrade of E-5. 60 is the minimum, so obviously more is better.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    JohnnyG

--
    06 Dec 2012 10:06 PM
    Awesome, thanks!!
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    JBjunior

--
    07 Dec 2012 06:16 AM
    Just a quick correction regarding the credits for temp commission:

"Temporary Commission Applicants (active duty Coast Guard personnel E-5 and above with at least four years of active duty in any Armed Forces) must have a baccalaureate or higher degree from an accredited college or university,

OR receive the ACE recommended scores on the five general CLEP exams, including the college mathematics exam.

OR have completed at least one year (30 semester or 45 quarter hours) at an accredited college or university (including a college level math class)."
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    07 Dec 2012 07:11 AM
    I stand corrected. I guess I was thinking of the way it used to be.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    JBjunior

--
    07 Dec 2012 07:24 AM
    Posted By Cooch on 07 Dec 2012 07:11 AM
    I stand corrected. I guess I was thinking of the way it used to be.

Your information was what I usually tell people as well so I went and checked.  I don't know how long it has been at 30.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    JohnnyG

--
    07 Dec 2012 07:50 AM
    So, with my credits and math through differential equations, I could qualify?
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    JBjunior

--
    07 Dec 2012 07:55 AM
    Posted By JohnnyG on 07 Dec 2012 07:50 AM
    So, with my credits and math through differential equations, I could qualify?

Yes in a minimum of 04 years and at the pay-grade of E-5.  Qualifying and being competitive are two very different things though.  In my OCS class we had a few people that didn't have degrees but had stood out in different ways.  Considering they only chose 26 enlisted members for temp commissions for the entire year, I wouldn't count on that getting me in.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    07 Dec 2012 10:06 AM
    I could have sworn you needed 60 credits if you were an e-5 with 4 years...
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    judoka64

--
    07 Dec 2012 10:33 AM
    I have a similar question. I am enlisting with a bachelors degree and my recruiter said I had to wait 4 month out of boot camp before I apply to OCS. Is that true?
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    JBjunior

--
    07 Dec 2012 10:42 AM
    Posted By judoka64 on 07 Dec 2012 10:33 AM
    I have a similar question. I am enlisting with a bachelors degree and my recruiter said I had to wait 4 month out of boot camp before I apply to OCS. Is that true?

You have to wait 04 months out of boot camp to apply to an "A" school but I don't think that requirement is there for OCS.  The tricker spot is that I would personally wait longer, unless you hit the ground running, because once enlisted you will need a CO endorsement.  Just showing up and asking one will make for a weak one at best.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    JohnnyG

--
    07 Dec 2012 11:43 AM
    Again, I'm not concerned about my competitive edge right now. I plan on getting my degree anyway, I was just checking to clarify what my recruiter had said. Thanks for the info, though!
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    judoka64

--
    07 Dec 2012 02:23 PM
    [You have to wait 04 months out of boot camp to apply to an "A" school but I don't think that requirement is there for OCS. The tricker spot is that I would personally wait longer, unless you hit the ground running, because once enlisted you will need a CO endorsement. Just showing up and asking one will make for a weak one at best]

Thanks you! I am planning on waiting a few years before I apply. I was just curious if that was true about waiting 4 months.

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    judoka64

--
    07 Dec 2012 02:23 PM
    [You have to wait 04 months out of boot camp to apply to an "A" school but I don't think that requirement is there for OCS. The tricker spot is that I would personally wait longer, unless you hit the ground running, because once enlisted you will need a CO endorsement. Just showing up and asking one will make for a weak one at best]

Thanks you! I am planning on waiting a few years before I apply. I was just curious if that was true about waiting 4 months.

jbmontgomery75

--
    01 Jan 2013 08:54 AM
    May i ask you gentleman a question regarding this matter? What about a prior Air Force enlisted person who is now 37 and wanting to go into the reserves as an officer? I did just under 6 1/2 years on service while in the AF. I currently am about to graduate with my Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology. I currently hold a Top Secret Security clearance that was just renewed a year ago. If i don’t go officer i will definitely be going ME. I also currently live in South Carolina so I’m hoping me already being in the area will help. Also, do prior enlisted need to complete basic training/boot camp again? I realize the majority of these questions could easily be answered by a recruiter but I haven’t received a response from them yet.

Joseph Montgomery
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    01 Jan 2013 09:00 AM
    Why would living in SC speed your process at all? If there are no reserve billets for ME in your area, you can live right outside the gate of the school for ME. It won't get you there any sooner. If a billet is available, that's what you need to know first. I am not sure about the ages and limitations on time in service, I will leave that to one of our resident recruiters. I know a couple of our more experienced members are on vacation and such. So be patient and I'm positive someone will be along to help with answers.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    jbmontgomery75

--
    01 Jan 2013 09:10 AM
    Roger that... thank you for the heads up. As far as the living in SC... it was a pure assumption and only that and we all know what assumptions do… make people like me look like an idiot… no worries… I don’t mind asking dumb questions. I wasn’t informed of the billets availability. I am reading up on this now. Thanks again.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement