Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
What's life as a Non-Rate like on the USCGC Healy?
Last Post 15 Dec 2012 09:32 PM by CaptNick. 25 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
KateTheGreat

--
13 Dec 2012 11:37 PM

I'm drawn to life aboard this creature of the ice, and was wondering if anyone has any advice/stories of Healy life for a non-rate or for any other rates..

Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    14 Dec 2012 04:56 AM
    Bells is our resident Healy expert. She went there out of boot and has struck BM while on the ship. I moved this to the correct area, it didn't belong in A Schools area. Find Bells, she'll help.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    14 Dec 2012 07:02 AM
    Where do I start Lol
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    14 Dec 2012 07:38 AM
    At the beginning!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    14 Dec 2012 08:53 AM
    Letsss see

Life as a nonrate isn't too bad. Just like anything you are being ripped out of your regular life and then plopped into something totally new so once that adjustment happens this is pretty much the lowdown:

You would live in a female nonrate 6-man berthing. There are 3 sets of bunks and then 6 lockers, 2 sinks and one head with a toilet and shower. Usually there are 2 fireman and then 4 seaman in the room. Right now it is half and half though.

As a fireman depending on whether you are in Main Prop or A-Gang, you will be assisting the MKs, mostly working with the MK3s, and being gophers for them, meaning they'll say: grab me the unicorn 7/16ths wrench, and you'll be like AYE AYE and then go run 300 feet through 15 spaced to get it and then when you get back, they'll be like "oh never mind"

If you aren't doing that then you are basically cleaning up oil or water with oil in it, which is in every engineering space. The environment the past couple years has been pretty OCD for cleaning the engineering spaces.

Once I spent a couple weeks replacing every screw in every deck plate in every enigineering space with a new stainless steel one. You will just basically do any mundane task that needs to get done that the Petty Officers aren't going to do.

You'll stand Technician of the Watch, while you are breaking in underway you will stand one watch a day until you are qualified, and then it is about a watch every other day to every three days.

If you are a Seaman, then you will stand 2 watches a day while you are breaking in Lookout on the Bridge, and then you may very well continue to stand 2 watches a day once you are qualified because we have a very small Deck Force and OPS department for how big our cutter is. As a seaman during the workday you will probably be cleaning dirt off of something, painting, or participating in evolutions like crane operations.

You would need to get Lookout, Rigger, Crane Operator, and Security Watch Stander qualified. If you are a superstar then you can get Quartermaster/Junior Officer of the Deck and Deck Supervisor qualified out on deck. If you are lucky then you will get a chance to get Boat Crew Qualified but its not likely.

Something good about HEALY is that all of the ratings that you can strike, you can do it here. We usually always have a couple BM strikers and we have quite a few MK strikers right now also. We also have a DC striker (which he's probably the toughest one, he's had to do a couple things at the 378s to get stuff signed off).

Generally the patrols on here are 6 months long. In the last 3 years it has been 6 months, then 8 months, this year was about 4 months and then next year will be about 4 months.

We go to the arctic. Our missions are anywhere from 25-55 days longs, with usually a few 45 dayish missions and then maybe one 25 dayish mission per patrol, and those are back to back pulling into places like Dutch Harbor, Dutch Harbor, Dutch Harbor, and then maybe Seward or Juneau and then anchoring off of Barrow, and then Dutch Harbor, and then Dutch Harbor.

You get to know Dutch Harbor pretty well. Its a magical place. If you watch Deadliest Catch, thats Dutch Harbor.

What else do you want to know?
    KateTheGreat

--
    14 Dec 2012 01:40 PM
    @Old Guard2: I did not think that selection through, thanks.

"oh never mind" <--lol

I really like the idea of being out to sea for more extended periods of time and getting qualified on more things faster. I'm currently in a dorm situation and sharing a smallish bathroom with 30 other females and a 7x10 room with one, so the living quarters seem very manageable.

I understand the importance of every job 'cuz it's gotta be done, but were there days when it was mentally challenging to be the bottom of the totem pole?

Also, what's the camaraderie/culture like aboard? After 4 months, you're bound to have some stories to tell.

I'm currently (changes frequently) interested in MST, IS, and in the very back of my mind, AST. Most likely it would be MST or IS that win me over. Does the Healy have either of those aboard? If not, what Units/cutters are more suitable?

But mostly, did you enjoy your first assignment there as a non-rate?
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    14 Dec 2012 03:11 PM
    For IS and MST, you will be waiting a while, just to front load you. IS is currently a 5 year shook wait, and MST is closer to 4 years. Hopefully you enjoy the Healy if you get it.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    14 Dec 2012 03:27 PM
    Ya it think I got alot out of Healy as a nonrate, it's a great unit for people coming out of boot. Like anywhere else your going to be scrutinized for the first little bit but That's normal.

The comradery is great, we are a really close crew because we are stuck either eachother for so long and then we go to Dutch and your STILL stuck with eachother because there's only three bars to go.III

You'll nitpick each other too like your siblings.

Some good sea stories... I dunno last year we had a shake weight competition at only week 3 out of the 8months so that was weird that we were losing it already. I don't know I mostly block out the patrols and all of the good stuff I wouldn't post on here.

We don't have any ISs, I have a couple friends that are and they really like their jobs. We have MSTs but starting this year they are integrating those jobs into BM jobs because the MSTs can't make table here. Our missions don't align with that rating any more, or that rating doesn't align with our science operations at all anymore. They were most just science babysitters. So the MST3 billets are ready gone and I expect the 2nd class billet to switch over also.

The only other cutter that MSTs are on is the Polar Star, and it's the same thing, the job just isn't really a good fit for MSTs because it's all deck work.

Ya dorm life is nothing like this. At a dorm you can leave, here ur stuck on a metal boat for 50 days at a time for an average of 6 months straight. And on top of that you dont have phone, and you barely have internet. As long as you have a good head on your shoulders you'll probably only go through phases of feeling sh*tty about being a nonrate every so often. Just need to stick it out. I certainly didn't think I was going to be here for a full tour but its worth getting first pick out of here for transfer season.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    CaptNick

--
    14 Dec 2012 04:11 PM
    Dont listen to Bells. She doesn't know what she's talking about...
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    14 Dec 2012 04:20 PM
    +1 Nick
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    14 Dec 2012 04:21 PM
    Oh wait, I better not pick on anyone on here. It might be interpreted as be disrespecting my shipmates, and new posters that know nothing about the CG might get their feelings hurt.

I take it back Bells.

Whew! That was close!

Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    CaptNick

--
    14 Dec 2012 04:59 PM
    Good point Cooch, cant be too sure these days. I, on the other hand, have no problem bustin' her chops haha
    KateTheGreat

--
    14 Dec 2012 09:30 PM
    Great responses, thank you. What is transfer season exactly and how often does it happen?
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    14 Dec 2012 09:33 PM
    Generally, people in the CG transfer in the summer, although it can happen at other times of the year too. How often depends on the unit. Most land jobs are 4 years. Most cutters are 3, with the exception of patrol boats, which are 2. Sometimes you transfer early if you get promoted, but its not a given. In fact, with budgets getting cut, it would probably be pretty rare these days unless the job you are in is critically needed elsewhere.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    15 Dec 2012 09:10 AM
    WOW that was the worst grammer post ever. My phone is using a new keyboard so its learning how to spell still.

LOL we have Hurt Feelings reports at work, I can start handing them out. We seem to be getting sensitive lately. Must be because the world is ending in a few days
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    15 Dec 2012 09:26 AM

My plan for the apocalypse.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    15 Dec 2012 11:08 AM
    IM DOWN. My Chief has duty the 20th and hes like, "Im not showing up, what are they going to do, put me on report? The world is ending!"
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    15 Dec 2012 11:18 AM
    I'm looking forward to the videos and FB posts from the aftermath of all this. I need a good laugh.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    KD

--
    15 Dec 2012 12:38 PM
    Bells.... *grammar*.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    15 Dec 2012 02:18 PM
    lol how embarrassing
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    CaptNick

--
    15 Dec 2012 05:14 PM
    ^^^Typical Boatswains Mate................or should I say "Boastwains" Mate?
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    15 Dec 2012 06:39 PM
    Boatswain's Mate... FTW.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    15 Dec 2012 06:40 PM
    Loll can't do math, can't spell... as long as we know green from red
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    CaptNick

--
    15 Dec 2012 08:26 PM
    Posted By Bells on 15 Dec 2012 07:40 PM
    Loll can't do math, can't spell... as long as we know green from red
    So........what makes the starboard running light red? Is it the lens or the bulb?
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    15 Dec 2012 09:10 PM
    I ask that on every board
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    CaptNick

--
    15 Dec 2012 09:32 PM
    Me too. I also like what kind of vessel displays RED OVER YELLOW OVER GREEN haha
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement