Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Golden Dragon Challange Coin
Last Post 28 Dec 2012 05:37 PM by CSAYank. 15 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
CSAYank

--
20 Dec 2012 06:45 PM
    I know I haven't been on in a while, how's everyone doing? I have a question. My wife just got me a challenge coin for my blue nose ( I already have a bunch from bootcam, my boat, etc ) but neither she or I have not been able to find a challenge coin for my golden dragon ceremony. Any ideas? I've looked online and can't find it. Thanks in advance!
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    20 Dec 2012 09:42 PM
    Doing great Yank...glad to see you are still around and doing well.
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    21 Dec 2012 07:56 AM
    Nope, I'm both and didn't know there were coins for those. I thought the coins were just supposed to be given to you by people saltier than you.
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    CSAYank

--
    21 Dec 2012 09:31 AM
    Thanks guys, it's been a hell of a busy time up here in the frozen north lol. We didn't receive challenge coins for either. We received certificates though. My wife works at the exchange here and they had the blue nose. I went on to the web site of the company that makes it and found a ton of interesting coins, including blue and red nose as well as shellback but no golden dragon.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    21 Dec 2012 09:59 AM
    oh ya? without disclosing opsec are you participating in arctic shield? We didn't see much ice this year on HEALY
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    21 Dec 2012 02:15 PM
    Since the Midgett is home and ops are done for his ship... Was that Arctic Shield that Colin was involved with? I know they were up above the circle for something. They stood in for another ship for one reason or another. He is still mad because none of that time counts twoards an Arctic Service ribbon.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    21 Dec 2012 03:30 PM
    yes ma'am thats exactly what they were doing, them, the bertolf, the jarvis, maybe the monro, and the alex haley have all helped out so far.

Its only funded so far for this year (last I heard), and HEALY goes so far North of there that we are kind of an unrealistic option for something immediate like SAR, but we definitely would get involved if there was a disaster. And they (pacarea people) said we could start getting involved but that isn't really HEALYs purpose.

I know it sucks about the arctic service, the line starts above the bering strait and Ill throw out there that the problem might be that perhaps the 378s dont have the endurance to stay above that line (21 days) without refueling somewhere, which is mostly below that line? The only place we really look at above there is Barrow, and there isn't a pier or fuel dock there to pull in because the ice would cut it away every year if it were to exist.

One thing though is that the line moves south in the winter so its possible to probably get it then if they go. Im pretty sure though that the Midgett is going somewhere much nicer though for their next trip

Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    21 Dec 2012 08:57 PM
    Yeppers, nicer weather is in the Midgett's future.

His understanding of the Arctic Service medal was 21 days above, cumulative. Not consecutive. Apparently for ships it is consecutive, for flight crews it is cumulative. Oh well... maybe one of these days they'll get lucky. I'm not sure how many days they were actually above the line but he was thrilled to do it. I suppose that's all that matters. He has the order of the ditch, he's a blue nose and he has one other... Something south in the Carribbean I think??? I'll have to ask him next time I talk to him.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    21 Dec 2012 09:00 PM
    Spanish Main?
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    21 Dec 2012 11:25 PM
    Sailor of the West Indies?
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    CSAYank

--
    22 Dec 2012 12:38 AM
    Bells - no, we ( Munro ) are not participating in arctic shield. It was from last patrol. We did half a normal bering sea patrol, which we do all the damn time. But we also went to Nome, up to the arctic cricle for the day ( we did see HEALY there and uh...had a little fun if you remember  ). We just went up there after a port call ( kind of ) in Nome because our Captain is bad ass and wanted to do the blue nose. We also went to Adak and all the way out to Attu whcih was AMAZING! I have pics on my facebook from that, it as a once in a life time experirnce.I can't explain how bad ass that was to go there and see the history. Then we went down to Honolulu for TSTA. Saw Pearl, moored up there for a few days. It was a crazy patrol, went everywhere. We do have the endurance if we absoltely need to stay out for 21 days. On our Japan ( North Pacific Guard ) patrol we ended up staying out for 28 dyas because ofa tropical storm, typhoon and our apprehension of the Bangun Perkasa. It sucked. We had to ballast the fuel tanks so we didn't bob around and our food stores were VERY low. We usually stay out for 10-14 days then make port, but that all depends on the situation.We can be out 2 -3 times longer of needed.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    CSAYank

--
    22 Dec 2012 12:42 AM
    and Old Guard - I have a few airdale friends here on Kodiak and they have gone up to Borrow. They're supposed to be setting up operations for a good part of the year up there, for 65's at least. That's what I've been told by them, so he may still get a chance to get the sea service ribbon.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    22 Dec 2012 07:32 AM
    Sea Service he has... 3 years on the Seneca and now on the Midgett. He is an OS, no brown shoes in his world. He wanted the Arctic Service ribbon/medal (??). But not this last patrol... Maybe someday!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    magmam

--
    22 Dec 2012 11:12 AM
    my son has 2+ years sea time on Bertholf and now on Escanaba out of Boston. He will be close to Cutterman when he is done. Still has not decided if this will be a career or not. I think it may hinge on what is happening in his personal life. He still misses his friends here at home although he as no trouble making friends among his crewmates. He has obligatrd service for at least 2 more years. I know he did one of the ceremonies out on the Bertholf but don't see that happening on this ship
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    22 Dec 2012 02:50 PM
    Lol Yank Ya I remember the two JOs that started everything were from the same ocs class. And u guys smoked us, we got a lot of good pictures of you guys if you want me to send them to you.. Our crew was like mer it's dinner time. I was on watch though it was pretty funny.

I don't remember what we were doing tho. I know the scientists were onboard because they were so excited
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    CSAYank

--
    28 Dec 2012 05:37 PM
    Bells - It was definitely fun! I was out on the focsle with a bunch of other people. One of our JO's was dressed in a Captain America costume out on the bridge wing lol. After when were were waaaaaaay out in front our captain came down to the fantail screaming out at you guys " WHOOOO! F*C&+ YEAH! WHOO! " It was a hell of a time lol. And yes, I would love the photo's of us. I have a few of you guys too. Not just from that instance but when we were leaving dutch and you guys were coming in.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement