Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Officer Programs
Last Post 02 Jan 2013 12:52 AM by Juggernaut125. 25 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Juggernaut125

--
30 Dec 2012 06:01 AM
    What are some officer programs I could qualify for after getting out of the Navy and going to school?
    I will be pushing the 6 year mark by a couple of days once I get out (literally 2 days).  What type of officer could I be in the Coast Guard?

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    JBjunior

--
    30 Dec 2012 07:08 AM
    If you have any desirable skills and meet the requirements you may qualify for a direct commission officer program. Otherwise you would compete for OCS and choose a career path afterwards.

Check out gocoastguard.com
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    30 Dec 2012 07:19 AM
    How old are you, and how old will you be when you complete your degree? What type of degree will you be getting?
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Juggernaut125

--
    30 Dec 2012 12:55 PM
    I am currently 22 and I will be between 25 and 28 when I complete my degree. And I am unsure what I want to get my degree in. I do have a few ideas what I think I would like to get a degree in.
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    30 Dec 2012 12:58 PM
    The answers to those questions will narrow down your program options.
    Juggernaut125

--
    30 Dec 2012 06:24 PM
    I was reading that most of the programs when you are prior enlisted from other branches has a max time served of 6 years. I will be over that barely. Would it still be possible to get picked up on one of the programs?
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    30 Dec 2012 07:08 PM
    If you go over the max years of service you'll be ineligible.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    JBjunior

--
    30 Dec 2012 08:48 PM
    The limit is 10 years for DCO, for whatever reason.
    Juggernaut125

--
    31 Dec 2012 12:54 AM
    How does the DCO program work? could I be eligible to do college ROTC?
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    JBjunior

--
    31 Dec 2012 05:32 AM
    Check out gocoastguard.com. There are several different programs within DCO.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    31 Dec 2012 07:45 AM
    The CG doesn't have an ROTC program.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    sardaddy

--
    31 Dec 2012 08:38 AM

One of the reasons is that in order to retire as an officer you have to have served as an officer for 10 years in the military. So if you were enlisted for 12 years and then became an active duty officer, when you got to 20 years you would only have 8 years as an officer and would not be eligible to retire as an officer. Because of that the CG can't pull you over as an officer as it would require you to perform more than 20 years of service to be eligible to retire and that is not allowed.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    sardaddy

--
    31 Dec 2012 08:44 AM
    Juggernaut,

The DCO program is designed for the military to bring in people with specific skills that they want without having to train them. One example for the Coast Guard is a lawyer. If the CG wants a lawyer, they don't want to bring someone in via the CG Academy or via OCS, then pay for them to go to school and waiting for them to be a lawyer a few years later. With the DCO program they find someone who is already a lawyer and give them a commission without having them go to OCS. The day they enter the CG they are a commissioned officer and can perform legal functions for the CG. There are a few specialties that this applies to in the CG. Go to the website listed above and you will find which ones they are.

One caveat to that is that if you go into one of those specialties hoping it will give you a leg up in the CG, it may in a sense as you can apply for OCS and the DCO program but the competition is just as fierce in the DCO programs if not more than the OCS programs.

Good luck.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    JBjunior

--
    31 Dec 2012 11:51 AM
    Posted By sardaddy on 31 Dec 2012 09:38 AM

One of the reasons is that in order to retire as an officer you have to have served as an officer for 10 years in the military. So if you were enlisted for 12 years and then became an active duty officer, when you got to 20 years you would only have 8 years as an officer and would not be eligible to retire as an officer. Because of that the CG can't pull you over as an officer as it would require you to perform more than 20 years of service to be eligible to retire and that is not allowed.

I understand that part.  I was questioning the difference between OCS and DCO. OCS only allows 6.  I guess we are willing to purchase more of the retirement....
    Juggernaut125

--
    31 Dec 2012 12:55 PM
    how does the Direct Commission Selected School program work? that seems like it might be my best bet unless there is a way I can get my 2 days over 6 years wavered somehow.
    Juggernaut125

--
    31 Dec 2012 01:08 PM
    One other program that looks like I could do is the Maritime Academy Graduate program. Is the Coast Guard just looking for me to have gotten a degree from one of the Academy's on the list or actually do A cadet program?
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    31 Dec 2012 01:12 PM
    It would be a gamble. You would invest the four years into one of those selected schools, at your own expense. A the end, you would apply and either get selected or not selected.
    Juggernaut125

--
    31 Dec 2012 06:29 PM
    I'm not really worried about paying for the school. I got my GI bill for that. Its just a matter what degree Id get. What degree field does the Coast Guard look for most? I'm more or less curious about that. Because with the Navy it really does not matter what degree you have you will probably never use it. And does the Coast Guard like it if you have your third mates license? I actually have that already started.
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    31 Dec 2012 09:27 PM
    Well, to increase your chances of selection, try and apply for as many programs as possible. Look through our DCO programs and find something you Ike. For instance, if you went to Norwich University and majored in Mechanical Engineering, you could potentially apply for OCS, DCSS, and DCE, all at the same time.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    sardaddy

--
    31 Dec 2012 10:10 PM
    I understand that part. I was questioning the difference between OCS and DCO. OCS only allows 6. I guess we are willing to purchase more of the retirement....

Not sure what you mean by purchasing more of the retirement. It cost the CG the same for a retirement whether the person was in the CG for 20 years or 20 minutes. The cost isn't shared with the members prior service.

Look at the disparity in time in service requirements between DCO and OCS like this. The CG is willing to allow someone to join the service with 10 years of service for a DCO because they come with a known skill that can be implemented immediately. They don't have to provide the training and they get a return on their investment sooner than an OCS student that they have to train to do a job. I would bet they would accept DCAs with more time in service if there wasn't a requirement for them to be an officer for 10 years.
    Juggernaut125

--
    01 Jan 2013 05:39 AM
    My concern with applying for OCS, or even the CSPI program is I will be 2 days over 6 years of service.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    JBjunior

--
    01 Jan 2013 06:44 AM
    Posted By sardaddy on 31 Dec 2012 11:10 PM
    I understand that part. I was questioning the difference between OCS and DCO. OCS only allows 6. I guess we are willing to purchase more of the retirement....

Not sure what you mean by purchasing more of the retirement. It cost the CG the same for a retirement whether the person was in the CG for 20 years or 20 minutes. The cost isn't shared with the members prior service.

Look at the disparity in time in service requirements between DCO and OCS like this. The CG is willing to allow someone to join the service with 10 years of service for a DCO because they come with a known skill that can be implemented immediately. They don't have to provide the training and they get a return on their investment sooner than an OCS student that they have to train to do a job. I would bet they would accept DCAs with more time in service if there wasn't a requirement for them to be an officer for 10 years.
    By buying the retirement I meant that the CG gets less useable time to retirement from the member because we are accepting them with more time in service.  You made my point for me with the 20 minutes or 20 years remark.

Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    01 Jan 2013 08:11 AM
    Posted By Juggernaut125 on 01 Jan 2013 06:39 AM
    My concern with applying for OCS, or even the CSPI program is I will be 2 days over 6 years of service.

Yes, CSPI is already ruled out as an option for you due to age. You could still look at DCSS and the other DCO programs.
    Juggernaut125

--
    01 Jan 2013 12:54 PM
    So would OCS be completely ruled out due to the 2 days over?
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    01 Jan 2013 05:06 PM
    I can't say it's totally ruled out, because we are discussing something that's several years down the road. However, I haven't seen waivers granted for these situations in the last few years.
    Juggernaut125

--
    02 Jan 2013 12:52 AM
    Sweet Thank you for all your help!
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement