Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Vision/getting to know everyone.
Last Post 03 May 2013 07:36 PM by captkyguy. 28 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
jesse24b

--
05 Jan 2013 06:27 PM
    I figured I'd post this just to get it off my chest. I also wanted to bounce ideas off others about this stuff. I'm going to MEPS on the 31st of January, going reserves. I'm going for DC. Right now my vision is 20/400 but its correctable with glasses to 20/20 so I shouldn't have a problem with that? atleast thats what im hoping I'm REALLY hoping. Also I'm colorblind according to military standards. Ever since I started reading into the requirements is when I learned about my vision colors have no problem with me. I can pick apart a color wheel if I have too. DC doesn't require color-vision it's also something I have interest in. I heard everyone gets to go on SAR missions and I could even do other "special" things too. 

Now I'm sure everyone hears this all the time but I do want to become an AST. I'm trying to build my whole life around emergency response. I'm going to school to get my EMT I'm a park ranger and I'm also going to try and become a lifeguard for a local pool. Ill further my education and get my paramedics also while getting a forestry degree. I know my colorvision auto dqs me but I've heard/read stories about getting a waiver is alot easier when your already in also I plan on being the absolute best I can be at my drills/boot and a school for DC to show how determined I am to the best coastie and make others around better too. I'm here to learn and excel.

My plan would be to reclass after
    My six year enlistment. If I do some how manage to get AST.

I know it's just a dream but dreams are what keep me going I guess. I guess feedback would be cool, good or bad I'm sure ill hear alot of bad. Either way my time in the USCG ill be loving every second protecting people and saving lives in a different way. Thanks. 
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    05 Jan 2013 08:32 PM
    Awesome dream...go for it, I wish you all the best.
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    05 Jan 2013 09:46 PM
    If your plan is to be an AST, you would need to be active duty. Aviation jobs are not available in the reserves.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    jesse24b

--
    05 Jan 2013 10:29 PM
    After my six reserve enlistment I would go active with hopes of AST.
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    05 Jan 2013 11:51 PM
    If that is your plan, you should go active from the start. The chances of being able to from reserve to active are almost non existent.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    jesse24b

--
    06 Jan 2013 07:12 AM
    I'm trying to finish up degrees first. I wanted to go active but my recruiter told me its pretty hard to go active now. It would still be hard to go active even after doing an enlistment as a reservist?
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    JBjunior

--
    06 Jan 2013 08:18 AM
    Posted By jesse24b on 06 Jan 2013 07:12 AM
    I'm trying to finish up degrees first. I wanted to go active but my recruiter told me its pretty hard to go active now. It would still be hard to go active even after doing an enlistment as a reservist?
    More so....

jesse24b

--
    08 Jan 2013 11:37 AM
    I suppose ill have to grind hard and make them want me to go active. More struggle more focus.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    JBjunior

--
    08 Jan 2013 12:59 PM
    Posted By jesse24b on 08 Jan 2013 11:37 AM
    I suppose ill have to grind hard and make them want me to go active. More struggle more focus.

Do what your heart desires.  

This is more for future reference than for you but think of the Active and Reserve sides as two totally separate entities. Funding is different and the job expectations/requirements are different.  Both are part of the larger CG and we need both. Right now and for the foreseeable future we have a larger need for reserves.  When the active side was expanding rapidly there were a few opportunities to cross over as we were needing people but it was still a struggle.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    08 Jan 2013 01:37 PM
    Also, the wait might be so long that u might be able to finish your classes before hand
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    08 Jan 2013 02:54 PM
    The chances of being able to from reserve to active are almost non existent.

If you do manage to go active from the Reserves you'll be coming in as a DC. Changing rates requires another act of your deity of choice.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    ClaytonR

--
    09 Jan 2013 02:16 AM
    +1 Bells...I could have taken two semesters worth of classes between when I started talking to my recruiter and now, and I haven't even DEP'd in yet...

Besides, you can always finish your classes while you're active duty, and they'd be paid for by the GI Bill...
    dakotah316

--
    09 Jan 2013 05:59 AM
    The wait for me to go to boot camp is so long I am able to finish my degree just in time. So don't let that discourage you if you want to go active.
    jesse24b

--
    14 Jan 2013 10:57 AM
    Thank you everyone. I appreciate the friendly help and am still thinking about my choice.

jesse24b

--
    01 Feb 2013 07:52 AM
    Well, I got DQ'ed for my vision. My eyes are -8.25 the cutoff is -8.00. I can't even describe how much this sucks for me. I called my recruiter yesterday to inform him, left him a message. Hopefully ill be able to get a waiver....atleast a call back.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    judoka64

--
    01 Feb 2013 10:06 AM
    Keep your head up and hope for the best. I was DQ'ed for hearing and was able to go back a month later and retake the test. I passed it the second time. So maybe you will be able to retake the test or do something like that.
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    01 Feb 2013 10:32 AM
    We feel for you...stay strong in your motivation to succeed!
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    01 Feb 2013 10:36 AM
    Get PRK. One of my roomates had to get it to get in, after she got it, it was about a 6 month wait afterwards before she was qualified and pushed through meps. During this time you can finish your degree and go active.
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    jesse24b

--
    01 Feb 2013 12:02 PM
    If my recruiter tells me to get PRK and it would get me in I would in a heartbeat get it. I'm just waiting on him to tell me anything.
    jesse24b

--
    07 Feb 2013 01:21 PM
    My recruiter just called me and informed me that the CMO wants the past information on eyes and to get them checked out by my optometrist. My appt is in march, im not going to give up on my coastie dreams!
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    07 Feb 2013 02:43 PM
    Never give up...we wish you the best.
    jesse24b

--
    09 Feb 2013 09:46 PM
    Thank you!
    jesse24b

--
    02 May 2013 10:19 AM
    Waiver approved! I'll be going to boot come next year!
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    judoka64

--
    02 May 2013 10:34 AM
    Congrats! Thats awesome!!
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    02 May 2013 10:38 AM
    That is excellent news! Congratulations!!!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    fowlfeet

--
    02 May 2013 10:58 AM
    Awesome! I love reading old threads with temporarily bad news and seeing things come around. That's great to hear, good luck!
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    02 May 2013 01:33 PM
    Excellent news...congrats! What did you decide, going reserves and DC or going for AST and active duty. Either way, awesome news, way to hang onto your dream and fulfill it. Fabulous stuff!
    jesse24b

--
    03 May 2013 06:22 PM
    I'm doing reserves and DC! I appreciate all the encouraging words.
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    03 May 2013 07:36 PM
    Sounds like an excellent plan. Enjoy!
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement