Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Marine Corps to Coastie questions
Last Post 14 Jan 2013 08:26 AM by Gears. 8 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
lwcwb08

--
11 Jan 2013 03:50 PM
    I recently got out of the Marine Corps as a Corporal in December after almost 4 and a half years of service as a communications/electronics technician and am currently working as a contractor doing the same thing... I have RE-1A as my re entry code on my DD-214. I have a few questions regarding my situation, if anyone could chime in and answer some (or all,) of them it would be great. First off, i'm in the process of paying down my debt to make my debt to income ratio better, second and most importantly is this curve ball, I currently have the max amount of dependents with my wife and son, however she is pregnant and is due around June - July time frame. I don't want to hold information out from the recruiter, but do I have to tell them my wife is pregnant? This is something I really want to do, ever since I got out I elt as if something was missing. I've heard waivers are hard to come by as all branches have been affected by the drawdown. I've deployed, and I want to defend the country on another front and the Coast Guard is the perfect opportunity for me. Last thing I have for now is are communications/electronics maintainers currently on the Open Rate List for the DEPOT program?
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    11 Jan 2013 04:31 PM
    do I have to tell them my wife is pregnant?

Yes. With your baby on the way you'll be over the dependent limit, the Reserves is still an option for you. Congrats, on the baby though!

are communications/electronics maintainers currently on the Open Rate List for the DEPOT program?

They are not, but that can change.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    amyjohnston

--
    11 Jan 2013 04:39 PM
    Why is there a dependent limit for the amount of kids you can have on the active duty side and is this for all branches of the military?
    lwcwb08

--
    11 Jan 2013 04:43 PM
    Wow, hearing that the reserves is still an option is the best news I think you could have given me. With that being said... I will be entering as an E-3 correct? If I manage to pick up PO-3 on the reserve side, is re-enlisting for Active Duty after my reserve (presuming I get in) contract feasible? I will still be under the max age limit, i'm only 22 right now so I don't think that will be an issue at all. How long does it usually take for a reservist to get to boot camp after starting the whole recruiting process?
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    11 Jan 2013 06:15 PM
    Why is there a dependent limit for the amount of kids you can have on the active duty side and is this for all branches of the military?

I've never seen an answer in writing, but I'm guessing it has to do with raising a family on E-2/E-3 pay would create a major financial burden. I don't know if it affects all branches. Feel free to ask them.

I will be entering as an E-3 correct? If I manage to pick up PO-3 on the reserve side, is re-enlisting for Active Duty after my reserve (presuming I get in) contract feasible?

Yes, your prior service will qualify you for E-3. Going from Reserve to Active is nearly impossible right now. You'll have to serve as a Reservist for 2 years minimum before you can submit a request.

How long does it usually take for a reservist to get to boot camp after starting the whole recruiting process?

It depends on the individual, figure at least 6 months.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    11 Jan 2013 06:35 PM
    Posted By amyjohnston on 11 Jan 2013 05:39 PM

To be clear, the military doesn't limit the amount of kids you can have. They only limit the amount you can enter the service with.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    lwcwb08

--
    14 Jan 2013 06:04 AM

Thanks for clearing that up, I've got one more question though... What kind of degrees are they looking for in the DEOPT Program? I've got ASE certifications for Diesel Engines and Air Brakes, and also completed a vocational school for Diesel Mechanics. Assuming Machinery Technician is on the ORL, would I have the qualifications to go in under that program?

inkedgypsy

--
    14 Jan 2013 08:00 AM
    I just asked my recruiter friend about the ORL-- and there is not one, it is anticipated to be closed for a long time. MK A school is currently 9-18 month wait- but is projected to be changing to 18-24 months for the rest of this year.
    please speak to a recruiter for more info.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    14 Jan 2013 08:26 AM
    What kind of degrees are they looking for in the DEOPT Program?

DEPOT is a a Reserve Program. If you're interested in applying you'll have to meet with a recruiter, and submit all of your documentation. Your recruiter will submit a Rate Determination Package up the chain of command. It will be reviewed and you'll be notified of the out come.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement