Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Joining & Married To A Coastie
Last Post 15 Jan 2013 06:12 PM by FloridaGirl. 12 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Basic Member
Basic Member
coreyshaw

--
14 Jan 2013 08:34 PM
    So my wife is a YN3 and I will be applying to enlist in a couple of years after I finish my associates degree. I will be 26 at that time. So in boot camp, when it comes to filling out my dream sheet, will I just not fill one out? How does that work? Since I know they try and station spouses close to eachother.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    14 Jan 2013 08:50 PM
    You'll fill out a dream sheet. You'll be advised to put the District where you spouse is stationed as your first. The Detailers will know you're married member to member. They'll TRY to co-locate you, but there's no guarantee.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    14 Jan 2013 09:37 PM
    I'll echo the TRY part. It is far from a guarantee. I've seen worst case scenarios where spouses are stationed on opposite coasts, and I've seen them stationed together. It is a very real risk that you could be separated. I know it's cliche, but the needs of the service will always come first.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    JBjunior

--
    14 Jan 2013 10:32 PM
    Hopefully there are things other than your associates degree preventing you from joining now. If that is the only reason, get to the recruiter as soon as possible.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    coreyshaw

--
    15 Jan 2013 08:25 AM
    Gears and Cooch- Oh yea, I know. We've fought through 3 total years of long distance bc of CG orders so I'm hoping the marriage Gods will be smiling down on us when the time comes ha.

JB- There is. I have to get in shape first and I want to take my time and get all of my ducks in a row before I speak to a recruiter. When I went to join the first time, I lost 80lbs and I was so concerned about getting to Cape May as quickly as possible that I rushed through everything. So this time I want to get into the best shape possible, study hard for my ASVAB and improve my score of 80 I hold now (but will expire shortly), get my letters of recommendations together, etc. I want to offer the Coast Guard a squared away individual and not the bare minimum. I'm in no serious rush, unless you know something going on in recruiting that I don't know ha.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    15 Jan 2013 08:58 AM
    Ya, it can take you forever to get in, even if you are not in a rush.
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ebee

--
    15 Jan 2013 09:11 AM
    I agree with the above posters. It can take a couple months to even get an in-person meeting with the recruiter, then another month or two to schedule your ASVAB and/or initial MEPS visit even if you don't have any health issues.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    coreyshaw

--
    15 Jan 2013 01:05 PM
    Oh I know it's a long process. I've been through a portion of it, I watched my wife go through it, I now have friends who are recruiters. Ill probably contact a recruiter before my last semester. I am determined and motivated to join the CG. I know it's a long process and I'm willing to wait, but I know that it can be an even longer process if you aren't totally squared away. I do appreciate all the concern though.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    coreyshaw

--
    15 Jan 2013 02:36 PM
    Here's a couple scenarios that bring up some concern. Maybe some recruiter members can shed some light?

First, let me say she is currently stationed in Arlington, VA and is set to transfer in July of 2015. At the rate I am going with school since I work full time, I am set to get my associates in May of 2015, 2 months before her transfer. And for the sake of the question, lets just say the CG is fully willing and able to co-locate us once I join.

Scenario 1: What would happen if I ship out to Cape May before we transfer and she receives orders while I am in boot camp?

Scenario 2: Let's say she receives orders while I am in the middle of my recruiting process and we have to move before I can finish. Would I have to start over completely with a new recruiter wherever she gets orders or will my process just transfer over to a new recruiter where she gets orders?

What are some ways these scenarios can play out?
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    15 Jan 2013 02:43 PM
    Scenario 1: She will transfer and you will most likely be assigned close to where she is. Remember, she will have her orders in the late fall or early winter of 2014.

Scenario 2: there's no clear cut answer. If your re fully qualified by then, it will help, but it won't be a guarantee that you will get in. If the place you transfer to is full, you could effectively reset your waiting time. Recruiting isn't a science, so there's never any set answers or wait times.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    coreyshaw

--
    15 Jan 2013 02:49 PM
    Appreciate that, Cooch. So let's hope for scenario 1! I am so excited about this process.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    JBjunior

--
    15 Jan 2013 04:35 PM
    On a side note. Unless your degree is in engineering or another similar degree there are ways to finish your degree in months, even with working full time, at a fraction of the cost of most schools. If you are happy where you are at, great, but if you want to be done in 2013 instead of 2015 send me a PM.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    15 Jan 2013 06:12 PM
    Personally, after seeing just how the CG handles Co-los, I think your original plan is the best one. I'd start speaking to a recruiter in 2014 as early as summer. This will give you a full year to get through the process. Tell him or her you want to leave after you finish school, and you should be able to delay your ship date. Your wife will get a 4 year tour somewhere, and you really do want to know where that is before you go to bootcamp.
    Honor: if you need it defined, you don’t have it.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement