Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
DCIO FY 13
Last Post 18 May 2013 06:30 PM by Old Guard2. 15 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Default Again

--
28 Jan 2013 12:37 AM
    Hey, I just wanted to jump on here and say hi and see who is applying for the DCIO board this year. I will be applying for the second time, last year was very competitive.
    O be wise, what can I say more? -Jacob
    PVitoNJ

--
    26 Feb 2013 11:24 AM
    Hey, I'm putting in for DCIO this year, 1st time. Hopefully I'll be competetive. Wonder how many applicants there will be, etc. I think I've got a strong package, but not knowing who the competition is makes it difficult to feel any confidence about my chances.
    Default Again

--
    26 Feb 2013 12:42 PM
    Hello PVitoNJ,

Nice to meet you. Last year I was an alternate on the list; it was pretty competitive. I called the USCG Recruiting phone number on the bottom of the DCIO list message for more information last year, this is what I was able to discover (this might help you out a little in knowing what is going on):

The panel was on 26 March last year, I got my letter from the USCG on 23 April.
    There were 27 total applicants last year. 4 were selected, 4 alternates were selected.
    3 of the 4 primaries were in the USCG already with MA degrees. 2 of those 3 were E7s. The fourth guy had an MA degree as well.
    Of the 4 alternates, 2 were in the USCG already, 1 had his MA degree and the other was about halfway done. There was also an AirForce analyst that was part way through an MA degree (I asked him, he is not applying again this year). And then there was me.
    I was told last year that they may only take two candidates this year. in 2011, 4 primaries and 2 alternates were selected. in 2010 9 primaries and 1 alternate were selected. I don't know about 2009 or 2008, but i have two friends who made it those years. both applied in 2008, but one had to reapply the following year. (To see some of this yourself, go to www.uscg.mil, click on 'Library', click the 'General Messages' tab, and then the 'USCG Recruiting' tab. That is where the message will post for our panel).

The program is really competitive from what I can see. There was a forum thread going last year in which several people posted their own personal qualifications, I was surprised to have ended up on the list ahead of them. In one conversation with my recruiter this year, he let me know that although applications which include degree in a field other than intelligence studies will be accepted with a waiver, those applications which include degress in Intelligence Studies will be looked at first and others will be accepted based on vacancies. I realize this is not a hard and fast rule, the officers on the panel will make the ultimate decision, I'm just letting you know what I was told. Also, diversity is a big deal to the USCG from what I have been told.

A little about me: I have a BA in Intelligence collection and I am about halfway through an MA in intelligence studies. I've been in the army for 14 years, but only 9 active years; the rest has been National Guard inactive duty. I've deployed twice to Iraq, I've taught HUMINT for the army for about 4 years. I'm currently an E7.

How about you, what is your background?
    Default Again

--
    26 Feb 2013 01:03 PM
    To be clear, individual cases are different, this is just my experience. I'm only trying to be helpful. The main point is, this program is very competitive.
    PVitoNJ

--
    28 Feb 2013 11:46 AM
    Thanks for all the info on past year selections. Good to know. As i guessed, it's very tough to get picked up for this great program. You've got a solid intel background, good luck this year. Hopefullythey'll pick up more than two applicants this time around, but it's out of our hands. With the budget constraints, things are hard to predict. My general background: BA in Intel Studies, some masters classes completed, active duty CG for just over 10 years, 2.5 of those years as an E-7. Been working hard to excel at every unit, operational and joint intelligence center analyst duty. I'm crossing my fingers !
    Default Again

--
    28 Feb 2013 01:24 PM
    Yeah, good luck! You've got a pretty solid background as well. In my interview board last year I told them I would have this one more year to apply if I did not make it last year after they asked how much active service time I have. I hope I make it because this is my last shot (unless I don't continue on active duty) because non-USCG types must have less than 10 active years. But you have a solid background, you definitely have a leg up on me. Good luck to you as well.
    Default Again

--
    15 Apr 2013 06:23 AM
    Today is the DCIO panel date, just a few more weeks to hear back. I hope it happens this year!
    Default Again

--
    08 May 2013 07:06 PM
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ebee

--
    08 May 2013 07:40 PM
    Good news, Default?
    Default Again

--
    08 May 2013 08:05 PM
    Yup, just waiting on the details. I'm very excited.
    Default Again

--
    08 May 2013 08:07 PM
    VERY excited. If someone happens to know the convening date to the next DCO course, I would appreciate knowing. I will be placing a call tomorrow, anyway to see if I can find out as well.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ebee

--
    09 May 2013 09:30 AM
    Congratulations! If nobody can help here, hopefully they can over at coastguardocs!
    Default Again

--
    09 May 2013 10:25 AM
    I actually got in touch with a friend (who did the DCIO thing a few years ago) and he was able to track down an answer for me. I'm still waiting to hear from the assignment officer. Thank you very much, Ebee
    Default Again

--
    10 May 2013 10:11 PM
    Just curious, is the DCO course considered a C school? I know A Schools are the enlisted schools in which enlisted personnel gain their 'rating', so I assume that DCO would not be that. It isn't OCS, since OCS students are cadets whereas DCO students are commissioned officers. I'm just curious. Thanks.
    Default Again

--
    12 May 2013 12:48 PM
    Well, it is official. I got my letter. Wednesday the recruiter called to tell me, but didn't have a lot of details. I guess I'm one of two accepted; i spoke with the other guy yesterday. I've already responded via email to the commissioning offer letter (as requested in the letter) and I'm sending the physical LOI on Monday. How soon can I expect to hear from an Assignment Officer/Detailer? I'm very excited.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    18 May 2013 06:30 PM
    Many congratulations! That is excellent news!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement