Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
USCGC BERTHOLF
Last Post 28 Jan 2015 05:10 PM by Gears. 20 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Basic Member
Basic Member
ngonzalez

--
02 Feb 2013 09:32 PM
    I just graduated and my first unit is the BERTHOLF out of ALAMEDA,CA. If anyone has any info on this cutter etc its greatly appreciated 
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    02 Feb 2013 11:58 PM
    Its a newer version of a 378. Last year they were apart of Arctic Shield, which meant they were baby sitting the shell drilling escapade. Pretty sure its 6 man berthing, and I know a DC3 there.
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    magmam

--
    03 Feb 2013 12:03 AM
    the Bertholf was my sons first unit after bootcamp too! He lived on the ship for probably close to a year before he got an apartment at CG housing. He also had some great patrols and saw a lot of things. Did his swearing in for contract extension[or whatever it is called for time he will would owe after A school?] on the Arizona memorial in Pearl Harbor..one of his highlights so far in the CG. Lucky enough to have had a bootcamp friend whos mother managed Germaines luau so that was a plus when they had liberty in Hawaii! He says the ship rides great compared to the ship he is on now and he got a long with all his crewmates. He qualified for boarding team and did boarding up towards Alaska on fishing vessels. Were there some things he wasn't crazy about? Sure but those were his experiences and certainly nothing you can prepare for or should even anticipate. He requested Cali and that ship first on his dream sheet 3 years ago- wanted to get as far away from home[NJ] as he could to start his CG experience.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    03 Feb 2013 02:50 AM
    Its a newer ship. It just went on its first patrols last year. It sounds like her son might have been on the commissioning crew or close to it.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    magmam

--
    03 Feb 2013 11:37 AM
    Bells I think the Bertholf was delivered and arrived in Alameda aound 2008/9. My son got there in 2010 so it might have been one of it first complete long patrols. And Ngonzalez it is 418'-my son is on a 270 [?] now and he says that is quite a different ride! The other thing he thought was funny was that on his first patrol on this new ship his crewmates were complaining of going stir crazy after 1 week out, on the Bertholf they were still settling in. I think perhaps his biggest complaint if you want to call it that on the Bertholf was that on this modern state of the art type boat there were a lot more rates then nonrates and mess duty was pretty frequent...lol...but it was a right of passage
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    JohnnyG

--
    03 Feb 2013 01:07 PM
    Thats what I will probably be requesting out of boot camp!
    Because I'm still 6 years old in my head, and the "New shiney" ship excites me.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    03 Feb 2013 02:07 PM
    If you want to hear God laugh, tell him your plans. Ask for everything you want in boot camp please do not be surprised when you get the exact opposite or nothing even close to what you request.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    03 Feb 2013 02:14 PM
    Ya I got an icebreaker for god's sake. And yes, being a seaman on a cutter is a perfect right of passage to be a good petty officer later. Theres nothing like 2 watches a day and 2 weeks on 2 weeks off messcooking for 100 people to make you want to get rated.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    JohnnyG

--
    03 Feb 2013 02:56 PM
    Well, in reference to telling God my plans, I've been keeping pretty quiet about my enlisting, so I don't jinx myself! I'm even scared to put USCG stickers on my truck for fear of something coming up, and me having a sore reminder.

But I'm not worried about where I'm stationed my Non-Rate years, I was just saying I plan on "requesting," with the knowledge I could be getting a sector on the opposite coast.
    nathanaeljmiller

--
    16 Feb 2013 10:12 PM
    Hello! I'm not sure if you remember me, but we were supposed to go to boot camp on the 16th of October together, until your boot camp date got pushed back. I am stationed at Small Boat Station, San Francisco. I live in Alameda, and can literally see the your cutter if I drive a block from my house. The houses in Alameda are awesome...I have a great small cottage there and majority of the homes in town are Victorian style...very cool. The people that I have met from the Bertholf have all seemed very nice. I don't have too much interaction with your crew though because I work on YBI (Treasure Island). A nice thing about Alameda is that it is 5 minutes from Oakland, 10 minutes from San Francisco, 1 hour from Sacramento, and 3 hours from Tahoe! So you have a lot to keep you busy in your off time. You can email me if you need anything. I hope your family enjoys it here!
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ebee

--
    17 Nov 2013 09:17 PM
    Anyone know the average underway time of the Bertholf? I heard 5-6 months at a time, possibly extending up to 9. Does that sound right?
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    ngonzalez

--
    20 Jan 2015 11:09 AM
    4-5 months currently. rumor to extend it to 7 then 9 but thats all rumor for right now.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    stealthtt24

--
    20 Jan 2015 01:46 PM
    I'm trying to get on this or the other cutter in Alameda. If anyone has info on this cutter please pm me or post! Trying to travel as much as possible.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    21 Jan 2015 01:13 PM
    Everyone wants on one of those shiny new bad boys. You will do a great amount of travel on the older boats as well. My son was on the Seneca, now the Midgett. He had been to 17 countries. He has Order of the Ditch (Panama Canal), Blue Nose Polar Bear (above the arctic circle), Sailor of the Spanish Main (Caribbean), Golden Dragon (going across international date line). He hopes to get Shellback (across the equator), don't know if he'll get that or not. But none of those were achieved on the Bertholf or Waesche. So any cutter will take you places. You will have the opportunity for travel.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    ngonzalez

--
    27 Jan 2015 11:29 AM

I recieved Shellback on the Bertholf. But if your trying for a WMSL look forward to going South. Panama, Honduras, GTMO, Mexico...

4/5 Months out, average 2 months in

Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    27 Jan 2015 04:28 PM
    4/5 Months out, average 2 months in

154' Fast Response Cutter.. 3 weeks in 3 weeks out on average. We've been all over the Bahamas, Key West, and to Cuba a bunch. Big boats are ok, patrol boats are where it's at.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    smbenn02

--
    27 Jan 2015 07:46 PM
    Yes Gears that's what I'm talking about! I ship on March 17! I really want one of those fast response cutters or medium endurance cutters. I don't care where all we go, I just wanna travel but not for really long periods of time like 7 months lol. But if that's where I end up I'm gonna be super excited either way to even have made it through to get orders. Swear this last month and half is creeping by.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    28 Jan 2015 07:10 AM
    The FRCs are tough to get, but definitely worth it. IMHO, if you want to be on the front lines of CG ops a D7 patrol boat will definitely give you more than you bargained for.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    28 Jan 2015 10:24 AM
    Yeah but then you have to be in D7. Yuck! LOL Too much sun, fun and beaches for this kid. I thought you were a Great Lakes Sailor Gears? HAHAHAHAHA I had a hard time typing that with a straight face.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    smbenn02

--
    28 Jan 2015 12:30 PM
    Honestly, I don't mind district 7 at all being that I'm from south Ga currently residing in Atlanta. So warm weather is greatly welcomed lol. I did some research on both medium and patrol boats and I'd gladly take either. I'm sure they are tough to get but it def won't hurt to request . And right up in the mix of the front lines is totally my dream!
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    28 Jan 2015 05:10 PM
    Too much sun, fun and beaches

A winter filled with shorts and flip flops everyday. It's been a real nightmare.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement