Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Hello from Canada
Last Post 17 Feb 2013 01:51 PM by Amorhetleven. 15 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Basic Member
Basic Member
Amorhetleven

--
07 Feb 2013 08:01 PM
    Hi there! My name is Rebecca and I am currently living in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. I have completed my enlistment process and I will be shipping on July 23rd. This forum has been a great help in gathering general knowledge about the Coast Guard. I am also an active Auxiliarist and I am a watchstander at STANT Burlington in VT. I am looking forward to beginning my career in the Coast Guard!

Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    07 Feb 2013 11:33 PM
    July 23 sounds like an awesome day...enjoy your journey and have a blast!
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Amorhetleven

--
    12 Feb 2013 11:12 AM
    Thank you very much! Being an Auxiliarist and having the opportunity to work with the gold side have really helped me to understand and appreciate everything that you guys do and have inspired me to be a better person. I look forward to my shift from silver to gold.
    FutureCoastie92

--
    12 Feb 2013 03:43 PM
    Very cool and may I ask why you decided to join the US Coast Guard instead of the Canadian Coast Guard? I know up there the CCG is part of DFO not the armed forces but they’re still a great agency. They have a pretty big presence is QC especially around Montreal no?
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Amorhetleven

--
    12 Feb 2013 04:05 PM
    I have been thinking about the US Coast Guard for awhile and I came to Canada for my university education because it was much cheaper as an international student rather than staying in state or going out of state. I wish I knew about the Academy when I was in high school. Although I am a resident in Canada I would get pushed to a second tier of applicants because I am not a citizen. I did apply and the closest I got was an "included in inventory". Also, why would I limit myself to jobs in one country when I have the ability to apply to work in both? I didn't want to limit my chances in once place. As much as I like Canada and Montreal, I feel it is time for change. I am looking forward to being a member of the Coast Guard and the adventure that it brings.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    janelleyfish

--
    12 Feb 2013 04:26 PM
    I'm a U.S. citizen that has lived in Canada for nearly 5 years. My husband is in the U.S. Coast Guard. The Canadian Coast Guard operates very differently than the U.S. Coast Guard. They don't really consider the Coast Guard here military, and they don't undergo the same kinds of training that the U.S. Coast Guard does. It's more like a college in that everyone lives in one place for 4 years of training, and the assignments after are more limited than in the U.S. After a lot of red tape of security clearance, I spent some time on Canadian Coast Guard ships while undertaking scientific research. It was vastly different than the experience my husband describes.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    janelleyfish

--
    12 Feb 2013 04:28 PM
    Oh, and more and more Americans are starting to come to Canada for university because it's so much cheaper (even with international fees). I meet a lot of students here from the northeastern U.S., and in the classes I teach, more and more are showing up each year.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Amorhetleven

--
    12 Feb 2013 04:42 PM
    I completely understand about the price of education. I was an international student and then I became a Quebec resident and I was blown away at the difference in price. $72 per credit at a top school in the world! My parents were happy about that. I just shake my head at the students that were protesting a $325/yr increase. That is peanuts compared to the increases going on in the United States!
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Amorhetleven

--
    12 Feb 2013 04:47 PM
    I know a guy who left the the Canadian Coast Guard to go work in VT doing LE stuff and he says that things are very different in how they run things compared to the US Coast Guard. I hear the guys up in Montreal running SAR cases on 16 for hours on end when I am standing watch. There are so many differences in radio comms that it is amazing. The CG guys on lake Champlain like the fact that I speak French and I can communicate with the Canadian boaters that come south. I am glad that I can be of use.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    janelleyfish

--
    13 Feb 2013 06:35 AM
    I know! I wish I would have known about the price differences earlier. I would have come to Canada for my undergraduate work too, and saved myself tens of thousands of dollars in student loans...but then I would have never met my husband!

Good luck!
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Amorhetleven

--
    13 Feb 2013 10:36 AM
    It is funny how things work out. Canada has been good to me, but I am ready to return. Thank you for your support!
    Odyssey

--
    14 Feb 2013 06:00 AM
    Dang! I wish I thought of going to Canada for school. It would have been cheaper and more scenic than the plains of north Texas. . .
    FutureCoastie92

--
    16 Feb 2013 10:34 AM
    so theres a Coast Guard Cutter on the back of the new Canadian $50 bill thats pretty sweet

http://www.ccg-gcc.gc.ca/eng/CCG/50...ollar_bill
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Amorhetleven

--
    16 Feb 2013 11:05 AM
    Yup. It is really cool that they put a cutter on a bill.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    janelleyfish

--
    17 Feb 2013 09:21 AM
    I'm still kind of bummed that they got rid of the penny. I collect pressed pennies, and now there's no more!
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Amorhetleven

--
    17 Feb 2013 01:51 PM
    I am hanging onto a few pennies so that one day I can tell "back in the day" stories about it. Keep any pennies that you find if they were made before 1978. They say that they are worth something even if it isn't too much. It will be interesting to see if the US decides to scrap the penny as well.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement