Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Station Annapolis - Maryland
Last Post 17 Jun 2013 07:44 PM by Gears. 23 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Basic Member
Basic Member
jaycaton

--
12 Feb 2013 07:13 PM
    Hey all, I just found out I will be at Station Annapolis after completing DEPOT.  If all goes well I should in there by August.  Anyone on here currently serve in Annapolis?  Served there in the past? Have any information about Station Annapolis at all?

Thanks
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ebee

--
    13 Feb 2013 04:56 AM
    I saw a post on here a long time ago from someone who was going to be stationed there as I believe an OS. Hopefully they are still around.

I assume you are a reservist since you are going DEPOT, and that you currently live there, so I don't have to tell you that Annapolis is a beautiful town
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    jaycaton

--
    13 Feb 2013 06:55 PM
    hey ebee,

Yes, I am going into the reserve. I'm too old for active and honestly have too much life under my belt too (two homes each with a mortgage, wife, two kids, civilian career ...) So the DEPOT / reservist route fits perfectly and allows me to serve where and when I can. I actually live in Annapolis and love it. I was very excited to be drilling in Annapolis and I am hoping to find anyone with info about it. Hopefully the OS you mentioned or someone else will see and comment on this thread.

Thanks again ebee
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    jaycaton

--
    16 Feb 2013 12:51 PM
    Lets throw it this way ... I live in Annapolis now. I believe that there is a Coastie living in my 'hood. I have never seen him/her but there is a vehicle with a coast guard window sticker/parking permit around the corner from me. I am thinking if leaving a note on the car to see if I can meet the person and figure out if they might be stationed in Annapolis. If that was one of you ... would that be an odd way to be contacted?
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ebee

--
    16 Feb 2013 01:22 PM
    Have you gotten a tour of the station yet? I believe it's required for incoming reservists.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    16 Feb 2013 02:01 PM
    would that be an odd way to be contacted?

Yeah. But, what's the worst that can happen? They don't contact you?
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    jaycaton

--
    16 Feb 2013 05:57 PM
    ebee, no tour yet. Gears, that was my thought. But I guess the flip side would be that I might weird the person out. Annapolis is a small station so I will likely be working with him/her and that may be a bad way to start off ... what to do, what to do ...

Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    07 Mar 2013 01:58 PM
    Ask your recruiter to get you in touch with someone at Sta Annapolis.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    jaycaton

--
    08 Mar 2013 06:23 AM
    I have an email out to my recruiter. Thanks Gears.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    CaptNick

--
    08 Mar 2013 02:59 PM
    I know a couple people that were stationed there years back. From what I heard its somewhat busy.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    jaycaton

--
    09 Mar 2013 07:31 PM
    Good, thats what I am looking for! Thanks Cap
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    jni3

--
    07 Apr 2013 09:55 AM
    it's a nice area and it's growing. the wife is currently stationed in baltimore and we frequent the area quite a bit.
    BM1JB

--
    06 May 2013 07:39 PM
    Great place. My first station. I'm active and since have gotten underway, and will therefore be avoiding anything that doesn't float for the foreseeable future, but it is a fun, decently busy station. You know the area so I don't need to tell you about that. My only advise is don't get too comfortable as a reserve. Seen a lot of good reserves show up there and get comfy sitting around a few hrs on the weekends watching TV and BSing. Great station, great bunch of guys when I was there last (2010), and you got some new boats now.
    CoastieGuy30

--
    10 May 2013 03:01 PM
    BM1JB, I take it  your first name is Jason and I was stationed there with you for a little bit in 2010.  Jaycaton, the reserve program is pretty good. Its all what you make of it.  I am a BM2 at the Station.  If you would like to contact me you can by this or by email.   guardiancpr123@gmail.com
    Default Again

--
    16 Jun 2013 12:07 PM
    Got a question for those living in Annapolis, I'm about to commission and be stationed in Curtis Bay. I was told to avoid living on Baltimore and avoid any place that would require me to use the 695 in the morning commute. That leaves me with Glenn Burnie to Annapolis. Is Annapolis too far of a commute in the morning? Howe is the cost of living? We are trying to stay under the BAH rate but we need a fence for our two dogs so I feel I can't be so picky.
    O be wise, what can I say more? -Jacob
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ebee

--
    17 Jun 2013 08:55 AM
    I can't speak to the commute to Baltimore, but I spent a year in Annapolis and it's a great place to live. I spent 1500+ utilities for a nice 1bdrm near the Annapolis mall, right off of Rte 50. There are definitely cheaper options (and more expensive ones - I think the highest end I looked at were 1800).

One thing I will say about traffic is that getting home in the afternoon evening will generally take longer in the summer months bc of beach traffic.

Also one thing you will find in this area is that the concept of an easy commute is totally different here than in many places...
    Default Again

--
    17 Jun 2013 11:56 AM
    That is good to know about the commute. We are looking for a three bedroom. Wife, kid, and two dogs. How is Glenn Burnie? Good area for a family?
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    jni3

--
    17 Jun 2013 12:20 PM
    glen burnie can be decent. but like anywhere there are good and bad spots. that's where we reside and we enjoy it. we also live closer to the severn area just two miles from the walmart. it's a great location and it only takes the wife about 10-15 minutes to get to work on 695.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ebee

--
    17 Jun 2013 12:31 PM
    Unfortunately I don't really know about the areas closer up to Baltimore. Hopefully someone else can come around to help  Edit: Nevermind, looks like someone already did!
    Default Again

--
    17 Jun 2013 04:17 PM
    Thank you for your help. We know Arnold/broadneck peninsulas is nice, but it is pricy. I'll be an O1e with 14 years of service, but I'm trying to decide if I can even afford that. I've heard things about Baltimore proper that turns me off there.Severn, Pasadena and Glenn Burnie seem to be logical areas looking online, but I just want to make sure the area is a good area for wife and kid. Thank you for your input.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    TriMan1991

--
    17 Jun 2013 06:39 PM
    I live in the area and was in the CGAux at station annapolis for a few months, if anyone is currently stationed there and wouldn't mind meeting up to talk about rates and how they work at a small boat station I would greatly appreciate it! still deciding on what rate I would like to focus on and would like to have an idea... or at least down to two rates before I meet with my recruiter. I am currently looking at BM, HS, OS, or IS

Annapolis area is nice, but asjni3 says, every place has its good and bad sections, I have lived in the area all my life so if you have any questions about food/etc. send em my way!
    “A ship in harbor is safe — but that is not what ships are built for.”
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    17 Jun 2013 07:31 PM
    Why do you want to have your rate choice down to 2? It isn't like you are going to be able to pick something ahead of boot. So just know ratings, know the CG, have some questions for your recruiter, and be prepared with some answers yourself. But you don't have to narrow anything down yet.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    TriMan1991

--
    17 Jun 2013 07:38 PM
    OG, its not that I have to, I just feel like the recruiter would take me more seriously if I say that I am interested in doing X or Y for my rate instead of saying that I have no idea what I would like to do other than be in the Coast Guard.
    “A ship in harbor is safe — but that is not what ships are built for.”
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    17 Jun 2013 07:44 PM
    I have no idea what I would like to do other than be in the Coast Guard.

That won't make a difference. If you get in, you'll likely change your mind a dozen times before you decide on a rating.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement