Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Hopeful Recruit
Last Post 20 Nov 2013 05:14 PM by FloridaGirl. 19 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
helfrichs

--
01 Mar 2013 09:03 PM
    Hey everyone, my name is Scott. I am 19 years old just finishing up my first year of college, which I decided it wasn't really for me. So I started looking into the Coast Guard as an alternative. I am currently a volunteer fire fighter/EMT in my town. I am going to the Malden Recruiting office on Wednesday for a "Career day" (what my recruiter called it). I was wondering if you guys had any advice for me, and if I should dress up or not?
    Thanks
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    01 Mar 2013 09:33 PM
    Dress for an interview. You don't need to be in a tuxedo but business casual is a safe bet. Best of luck. Remember if you are on time, you are late; if you are 15 minutes early, you are on time.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    01 Mar 2013 09:38 PM
    We wish you the best...hope it turns out great for you.
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    helfrichs

--
    20 May 2013 05:44 PM
    UPDATE!!!

So after a few complications with my medical records, my recruiter contacted me today and told me I have the all Clear to go to MEPS and take my ASVAB!!! I am scheduled to go on June 10th, do you guys have any advice for me on MEPS and studying for the ASVAB?
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Amorhetleven

--
    20 May 2013 08:07 PM
    Get a practice book for the ASVAB and work your way through that.
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    20 May 2013 08:18 PM
    Mum is the word at MEPS...do not in any form or fashion over share. Only talk about, when asked, conditions you have that are medically documented and that you put down on your pre-screen form. Relax, be patient and have fun!
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    strawhatasif

--
    21 May 2013 08:19 AM
    Congrats! "ASVAB for Dummies" helped me quite a bit. I spent some time studying every day for a few weeks before taking the test and did quite well!

Good luck!

SN Fasih
    "Though I may be a Reservist, there is nothing on my uniform that says so. The public does not make that distinction either." =)
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ebee

--
    21 May 2013 08:26 AM
    Take a practice test at least once a week. I completed at least one section of the AFQT each day at lunch then studied the questions I got wrong.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    fowlfeet

--
    21 May 2013 10:24 AM
    that's great news! I agree with strawhatasif, "ASVAB for Dummies" is a great resource. I did vocab flashcards and some basic mathematic formulas. Good luck and we look forward to hearing back!
    helfrichs

--
    18 Jun 2013 12:48 PM
    UPDATE!
    I had to reschedule my MEPS from the 10th to the 17th because I had cut my hand open and had to get stitches, however I went on the 17th and passed medical! And also got a 78 AFQT! I talked to my recruiter today and am scheduled to go for a final interview within the next couple of weeks. However all the positions for this year are taken so I am going to have to wait till next year to ship to boot camp :/ Oh well! Guess Ill just be in amazing shape for basic!
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ebee

--
    18 Jun 2013 12:56 PM
    Congrats on the successful trip to MEPS! Use the final interview as an opportunity to assure your recruiter that you're deserving of a ship date next year.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    18 Jun 2013 01:08 PM
    "Next year" could mean October 2013. This is when the next fiscal year starts. But either way, the time will fly by... try not to hurt yourself any further. Good luck with the final interview.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    18 Jun 2013 01:08 PM
    Excellent news...sorry to hear about the hand!
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    fowlfeet

--
    18 Jun 2013 01:25 PM
    Awesome! Keep it up!
    helfrichs

--
    20 Nov 2013 10:21 AM
    Update!

After hearing in October that there were still no positions open, I thought for sure I was not going to get in. However I continued to update my recruiter to let her know what I have been up too, and that I was still really interested in joining, I got the call yesterday. Looks like she didn't forget about me! Got my shipment date!!! I am so excited!

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    cyndyd

--
    20 Nov 2013 10:59 AM
    Posted By helfrichs on 20 Nov 2013 11:21 AM
    Update!

After hearing in October that there were still no positions open, I thought for sure I was not going to get in. However I continued to update my recruiter to let her know what I have been up too, and that I was still really interested in joining, I got the call yesterday. Looks like she didn't forget about me! Got my shipment date!!! I am so excited!

Very cool. My son got the call yesterday as well. His first meeting with the recruiter was in June 2012. Patience and persistence is key.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    20 Nov 2013 11:01 AM
    Fabulous news!!!!! Many congratulations.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    20 Nov 2013 12:33 PM
    Totally awesome...enjoy your journey.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    20 Nov 2013 04:57 PM
    Awesome have fun!
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    20 Nov 2013 05:14 PM
    Congrats!
    Honor: if you need it defined, you don’t have it.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement