Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Station small Chicago, IL
Last Post 12 Mar 2013 10:22 AM by Coastal22. 12 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Coastal22

--
10 Mar 2013 12:53 PM

Headed to station small chicago.  Any ideas on where to live?  We want somewhere safe, affordable and not too far from work.  Any information would be great =)

Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    10 Mar 2013 12:59 PM
    Gears would probably be your man. He is getting ready to leave Chicago but he did back to back tours there. He should be able to help out.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    10 Mar 2013 01:20 PM
    Unless something has changed you'll be attached to Sta Calumet Harbor on the south side of Chicago. Drop me a PM and I'll give you the skinny.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    10 Mar 2013 07:14 PM
    Yup, and I would recommend the following neighborhoods: Lakeview, Wriggly, Rosco Village, Linken Park, Streeterville, .... some places around UIC but ask us with street names...

Basically if you find a place tell us the street names and we'll be able to tell you whether we would live there or not. The City of Chicago is about 20 years behind the times as far as desegregation, to say it bluntly, because of politics. Because the station is on the South side no matter what you are going to have a commute, and even though the city is amazing for public transportation I would still drive to and from work and then use the CTA for everything else assuming you are close enough to some good options. If I were to ever live there again I would never live farther than 10 blocks or so from either the blue line or the red line (L trains) because they run 24 hrs a day. I lived at Belmont and California when I was 19-21 and then Belmont and Briar until I was 22 and never ever felt unsafe.

But again, I would contact either gears or myself if you are not familiar with the city. I would fully expect to be spending at least a thousand for a 1 bedroom, to 1400-1500 for a two bedroom, and if you find anything cheaper it is probably in a not so desireable area. Ive paid 900 for a one bedroom in Lakeview, and $750 was my third in a three bedroom at Belmont and California.

I don't care where you live definately get a parking spot and if that means a hundred a month then so be it because you'll be paying more for parking tickets anyway.
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    10 Mar 2013 07:16 PM
    Lol and I am going to emphasize you are going to want to be kind of far from work. Even parts of hyde park are ok, but I would feel more comfortable toward the north side.

Lake Shore Drive and 90/94 are going to be your best friends.
    Coastal22

--
    11 Mar 2013 11:02 AM
    Thanks so much. I have 2 cousins and a friend that have lived in the city for years and are pretty good resources. I have been there a few times myself and have a small knowledge of some of the towns. I am looking into bucktown, roscoe village and maybe wrigleyville. I definitely want to be close to the blue/red lines I just want to make sure we are not excessively far from husbands work. Are any of the suburbs decent or is city living the way to go?
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    11 Mar 2013 12:17 PM
    Traffic from the suburbs can be a nightmare. If you don't have kids live in the City, pretty much anything off of Lake Shore Drive north of Hyde Park is good to go. Hyde Park close to the University is great, but you have to stay REALLY close to the U. You also have the option on living in IN, Munster is pretty much the best it gets there.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    11 Mar 2013 03:35 PM
    I was trying to think of bucktown I just couldn't. And I agree, I wouldn't really try living in the suburbs. Traffic is awful. You'll get slightly lower rents in lakeview/wriggly/roscoe village than bucktown/linken park

You might feel really far away being that far north, but you will get so accustomed to using the CTA that it'll be just normal. Living in the suburbs... it might be a little cheaper but you are going to offset it anyway with transportation costs, and gas is rediculous in the city.

Ya I never spent any time in Hyde Park until this last time I went home, I never had a reason to go down there when I lived in the city, but its pretty nice. I would probably like living there because its a little bit closer to that base, real close to downtown, and its not bad!
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    11 Mar 2013 03:46 PM
    You might feel really far away being that far north, but you will get so accustomed to using the CTA that it'll be just normal.

Driving to the Sta is pretty much the only option from anywhere. Sta Small downtown is relatively close, but still a hike from the nearest train station.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    scoutdad25619

--
    11 Mar 2013 08:14 PM
    I grew up on the Southside, still work in the close in SW burbs. I know the neighborhood well. VERY well. I can halp as well. PM me and I'll tell you what I know.
    DUTY IS DOING IT, PRIDE IS WEARING IT, TRADITION IS LIVING IT. “DUTY FIRST” – CHIEF EDMUND ENWRIGHT, CHICAGO F.D. (RETIRED)
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    11 Mar 2013 08:28 PM

Correct!

I think faster than I type or I just don't display my thoughts well enough! I meant in general, from the northside to downtown, even though some days it could take up to 45-60 minutes to get there on the CTA it'll be "normal" to you even though in most places being an hour away from anything (thats really just a few miles away) is out of control.

But Gears is right, no matter what you are probably going to be driving to that station, but you can easily take the CTA most places any other time.

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    tallmans mom

--
    12 Mar 2013 08:13 AM
    Don't forget to look into Indiana. We don't have all the actitives and such as the city but we have lower rent. Just a thought. Good Luck
    Coastal22

--
    12 Mar 2013 10:22 AM
    Thanks again for all the info. We have some time before we take off for there, I am just trying to do as much research as possible.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement