Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
REALLY?!
Last Post 17 May 2013 02:30 PM by Old Guard2. 19 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Basic Member
Basic Member
KD

--
21 Mar 2013 10:07 AM
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    21 Mar 2013 10:34 AM
    I just sent off a message to Senator Inhofe asking him to do just a little more work and reinstate the CG tuition assistance as well. they can't shoot me forasking. I was very polite but said it is important our budget gets attention as well.

Search Senator Inhofe (R-Oklahoma) and send him a letter. You can do it right from the website. You don't need to be one of his consitituants to ask for something. He is a lawmaker, he gets paid to hear our pleas. So contact him!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    21 Mar 2013 10:51 AM
    Awesome for them.
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    21 Mar 2013 11:37 AM
    We always get the short end of the stick.
    Honor: if you need it defined, you don’t have it.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    CaptNick

--
    21 Mar 2013 04:21 PM
    The CG is not part of the DOD, hence why we weren't included in the DOD appropriations bill. There is another bill in the works that deals with DHS.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    NargilFenris

--
    22 Mar 2013 07:36 AM
    The problem is if they reinstate TA where will the CG have to draw funding from since no extra money is being given for it. Really don't want them to have to cut things we really need like training, maintenance, etc.
    If you were hoping for the A Team you will be sorry to know you got the F Troop.
    thelamp

--
    22 Mar 2013 10:59 AM
    I just saw an official news release on the .mil website saying that they have reinstated TA for the CG.
    thelamp

--
    22 Mar 2013 11:07 AM
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    22 Mar 2013 11:16 AM
    Posted By NargilFenris on 22 Mar 2013 08:36 AM
    The problem is if they reinstate TA where will the CG have to draw funding from since no extra money is being given for it. Really don't want them to have to cut things we really need like training, maintenance, etc.

With the reinstatement, that is exactly what will happen. I use TA all the time, but I'm afraid of what we will lose by having it back. Everyone screams for budget cuts until the cuts affect something they use. While I enjoy having my college paid for with TA, I enjoy being employed more. Something has to give in order to accommodate the program coming back. It wouldn't surprise me if it was more personnel cuts. Be careful what you wish for.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    22 Mar 2013 05:05 PM
    http://www.uscgnews.com/go/doc/4007...Assistance

And now it has been reinstated.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Arodblade

--
    10 May 2013 09:34 AM
    Only for active duty, and it only covers 6 credits. And idea if they're going to reinstate it for Reservists as well in the near future, or is this how it's going to be for the long run? This is horrible..
    "I Hated every minute of training but I said don't quit, suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion" ---Muhammad Ali
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    CaptNick

--
    10 May 2013 11:02 PM
    Its only available for members perusing an initial undergraduate degree. So members like me that are going for a graduate degree are out of luck unfortunately.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    ClaytonR

--
    12 May 2013 11:47 AM
    Posted By Arodblade on 10 May 2013 10:34 AM
    Only for active duty, and it only covers 6 credits. And idea if they're going to reinstate it for Reservists as well in the near future, or is this how it's going to be for the long run? This is horrible..

My understanding is this is through the end of the FY. I am hopeful it may be re-instated for Reserves next FY but I wouldn't count on it just based on everyone's budget being nil right now.

One of the recruiters on this forum said something to another potential recruit one time, something along the lines of don't join just for the side benefits, as that's just what they are. There's no promise to them and they can be easily taken away if needed, such as TA for reserves.

I admit TA was one of the driving factors behind me initially pursuing the CGR, as I need a degree to get into federal LE, and my full-time employer isn't the most helpful. Of course, just about the week I was given a ship date is the week they cut TA. Sucks...but I'm cautiously hopeful that either TA will come back, or that something else will break in the future.

Either way, I still look at it as, I was thought highly enough of to be recruited, so I am going to give it my all as long as they CG will keep me, TA or not. For me, I figure there's always student loans if I absolutely have to

Just a small edit since I read my words through unbiased eyes, @Arod, I am not in any way implying anything about you or why you joined, or picking on you for being a reserve who would like TA. I am in the exact same position. If I offended anyone with my words, that is not my intention. My words are more for future potential recruits--there's no promise to anything except that you'll be in a contract.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ebee

--
    12 May 2013 02:44 PM
    Also to be be fair, I don't think expressing frustration for the situation here equates to someone being ungrateful for the benefits they do have.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    ClaytonR

--
    12 May 2013 10:21 PM
    Posted By ebee on 12 May 2013 03:44 PM
    Also to be be fair, I don't think expressing frustration for the situation here equates to someone being ungrateful for the benefits they do have.

Agreed...I hope I didn't come across as implying that either.
    Julian.Japan

--
    13 May 2013 09:37 PM
    I heard somewhere that they're getting rid of the GI bill if i'm correct? Is this true?
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    14 May 2013 10:37 PM
    Post a link or provide a source, don't post unsubstantiated rumors on the board.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    JBjunior

--
    17 May 2013 01:30 AM
    Posted By Gears on 14 May 2013 11:37 PM
    Post a link or provide a source, don't post unsubstantiated rumors on the board.

Unsubstantiated rumors drive the world.....
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    17 May 2013 04:48 AM
    No doubt about it, sir. I'd like to keep this part of the planet free of them if at all possible.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    17 May 2013 02:30 PM
    98% of all statistics are made up... I'm sure of it, I just made that up!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement