Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
OC SPRAY
Last Post 28 Mar 2013 10:25 PM by ClaytonR. 21 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
INcoastie

--
26 Mar 2013 05:08 PM
    Hello all! I am posting to find some information regarding the OC spray for BTM.  I am prior LEO from a local PD back home and I am trying to find the supporting documentation in ALCOAST or any other CG publishing that will keep me from having to go through this hell again. I was messing around on google the other day searching for it and found x2 different documents that supported the acceptance of another LE agency's letter. HOWEVER, I seem unable to find this documents again and I need them to pass to the command so I can avoid this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Btw, I believe there was a post on here about this same thing once upon a time.
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    26 Mar 2013 05:38 PM
    Do you have documentation showing that you were previously sprayed?
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    INcoastie

--
    26 Mar 2013 05:42 PM
    That's an Affirmative! As does another person here at my unit. We are each breaking in BTM and are each prior LEO's and each have our letters. I just need the documentation showing that the CG does in fact accept those letters. I'm just having some issues re-finding it. I read it in an ALCOAST and then again somewhere else.
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    26 Mar 2013 07:56 PM
    I would get in touch with the staff at the MLE academy in Charleston. They would probably be the best source for that information.
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    26 Mar 2013 09:41 PM
    I learned a long time ago, when you get your letter certifying your exposure, you make MANY copies and put them in MANY different places. Kinda like a squirrel burying nuts....OK, maybe not the best analogy
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    CaptNick

--
    26 Mar 2013 09:53 PM
    Definitely consult with the MLEA. Most of the time they wont accept prior letters on the basis that it wasn't the EXACT proportionate OC that we use. Make sure you have really good documentation to support your claim.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    26 Mar 2013 10:51 PM
    I am getting sprayed Friday AHHHHHHH
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    CaptNick

--
    26 Mar 2013 11:11 PM
    Posted By Bells on 26 Mar 2013 11:51 PM
    I am getting sprayed Friday AHHHHHHH
    YESSSSSSSSS HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH. Lemme know how you make out. And anyone who's told you it "isnt that bad" is full of sh*t. You will not have a good day.

Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    27 Mar 2013 10:27 AM
    Wait AT LEAST 8 hours before you shower. The reflash is worse than the initial exposure. Give the OC plenty of time to evaporate. And, remember to have fun with it.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    27 Mar 2013 12:35 PM
    Posted By Gears on 27 Mar 2013 11:27 AM
    Wait AT LEAST 8 hours before you shower. The reflash is worse than the initial exposure. Give the OC plenty of time to evaporate. And, remember to have fun with it.

+1 on everything he said except for the part about having fun. That's s*** just ain't happening.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    27 Mar 2013 02:08 PM
    That's s*** just ain't happening.

What's not fun about having firey sand sprayed into your eyes while you fight a lion?
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    CaptNick

--
    27 Mar 2013 04:06 PM
    Theres nothing fun about it. My eyes water just thinking about that terrible day.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    magmam

--
    27 Mar 2013 04:20 PM
    so are there certain rates that get "sprayed" or does everyone eventually have to get it?
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    CaptNick

--
    27 Mar 2013 04:48 PM
    Posted By magmam on 27 Mar 2013 05:20 PM
    so are there certain rates that get "sprayed" or does everyone eventually have to get it?
    Only if you want to be a BTM or BO. Mostly BM, MK and ME; but Ive worked with IT, OS, EM, DC and SK that were BTM qualified. Depends on your unit and how motivated you are. If you go BM/MK/ME its pretty much guaranteed you will be a BTM then a BO.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    27 Mar 2013 04:49 PM
    If you are going to be doing LE, you have to get sprayed.

I don't really have a choice I could do it now or right after I transfer and I would rather do it for the folks that raised me so they can see entertainment before the weekend in a nice cool place than as the ffin new G at a station in a really hot place
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    27 Mar 2013 06:20 PM
    Not just for LE either. If you plan on going to PATFORSWA, you will have to be qualified to carry OC, which means you have to be sprayed. I was sprayed last month during pre-deployment training.

It's not fun, but the pain will go away in about an hour or so. I hated it, but at least I can say I did it and it's over with.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    ClaytonR

--
    28 Mar 2013 05:27 PM
    Just throwing this out there, from one of the guys I work with who didn't know this:

When you shower, make sure you keep your head out away from your body...don't let the water run down...you don't want that burn.

Also, he said it was about a week before it all washed out of his hair and scalp(and his hair was a "1" when he went through our LE academy)
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    28 Mar 2013 06:02 PM
    Also, he said it was about a week before it all washed out of his hair and scalp(and his hair was a "1" when he went through our LE academy)

Did they hit him with a bucket full? I was uncomfortable for about 8 hours then it wasn't so bad.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    28 Mar 2013 06:32 PM
    Gears, there are few real men like you... You chap wearing handsome devil! LOL
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    28 Mar 2013 06:54 PM
    Mine was gone after 8 hours as well. An hour of intense pain, then a few hours that felt like I had a bad sunburn on my face.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    28 Mar 2013 07:10 PM

I took it pretty well when I got sprayed.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    ClaytonR

--
    28 Mar 2013 10:25 PM
    Well...it is Nevada POST, run by the local community college. From what I've heard of the outfit, I wouldn't put it past them...
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement