Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Disqualified?
Last Post 01 Apr 2013 10:53 AM by CGNY2013. 8 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Awahso

--
30 Mar 2013 07:19 PM
    Hey there;

Some of you guys may remember me from a while back. I just thought I'd give a quick update on myself. I have lost 40 pounds so far and I am continuing my work to fitness. I have a 3.8 GPA right now (I am a sophomore in college), I have been a member of our local police explorers group (similar to a junior cadet program), and Community Emergency Response Team.  I am still working towards my goal of one day being a police officer and I hoped to be in the military one day (preferably USCG but I am also very open to the US Army). The thing is, when I was 14 I had cut myself out of depression. I haven't hurt myself for many years but I hear it is still an automatic disqualifier? Is that still true for both the USCG and Army?  Am I able to get it waived and take a psych exam or is that really the dead end for service 

Thank You. 
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    30 Mar 2013 10:00 PM
    The doctors at meps are very strict on this. I can't speak for all meps, but at the two that I use, it would result in an automatic DQ.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    30 Mar 2013 11:54 PM
    According to the medical enlistment standards, yes your history is an automatic disqualification for all military branches.

Don't let that stop you from being a successful police officer...you got great grades, will have a college degree, motivation to achieve what you set out to...your weight loss shows that...stay focused on that police officer goal and you shall achieve it!
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    Awahso

--
    31 Mar 2013 10:50 AM
    Ouch, that hurts . Eh, no need to stop working hard now-just time to put more energy into my future career Thank you guys for your advice and help over the past year.

*Side note*: Does this also DQ me from Coast Guard Auxiliary or from serving in the reserves? 
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    31 Mar 2013 11:41 AM
    Yes for the reserves its the same process. For the aux I am not sure but I think you would be good
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    31 Mar 2013 12:04 PM
    Reserves have the same medical standards. However, you are free to pursue the Auxialiary.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    CGNY2013

--
    31 Mar 2013 07:18 PM
    Posted By Awahso on 31 Mar 2013 10:50 AM
    Ouch, that hurts . Eh, no need to stop working hard now-just time to put more energy into my future career Thank you guys for your advice and help over the past year.

*Side note*: Does this also DQ me from Coast Guard Auxiliary or from serving in the reserves? 

The CG Auxiliary is a great choice and from what you've said about yourself, the Aux would be lucky to have you. The Aux works along side the "Gold Side" so depending on how ambitious you are and how much you want to put in, you could go far with the Aux. You can become an FSO (Flotilla Staff Officer), get boat crew certified, be a watchstander and so much more. Feel free to PM me if you have any Aux questions. I am in process for CG Reserve but am current CG Aux in NY. 
    "You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream." C. S. Lewis
    Awahso

--
    01 Apr 2013 08:18 AM
    Posted By CGNY2013 on 31 Mar 2013 07:18 PM
    Posted By Awahso on 31 Mar 2013 10:50 AM

The CG Auxiliary is a great choice and from what you've said about yourself, the Aux would be lucky to have you. The Aux works along side the "Gold Side" so depending on how ambitious you are and how much you want to put in, you could go far with the Aux. You can become an FSO (Flotilla Staff Officer), get boat crew certified, be a watchstander and so much more. Feel free to PM me if you have any Aux questions. I am in process for CG Reserve but am current CG Aux in NY. 

Awesome! I am currently working on my US Citizenship (unfortunately I need it to join the AUX).  I am going to send you a PM.
    CGNY2013

--
    01 Apr 2013 10:53 AM
    Yes you need to be a US Citizen. PM sent back.
    "You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream." C. S. Lewis
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement