Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Hello from Oregon
Last Post 17 Apr 2013 07:44 PM by Polarbill. 7 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Polarbill

--
08 Apr 2013 11:55 PM
    I retired from the Coast Guard in 1989 after 28 years of service including some time in the Navy. I found this forum while searching for information about the reactivation of the Polar Star. I was aboard the Star from 1981-1984. Served on 3 other breakers as well. Looks like an interesting group.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    09 Apr 2013 05:25 AM
    Welcome Aboard PolarBill, happy to have you. Anything you want to contribute, some of the best stories are the older ones. We would love it if you shared.

I see you are in Oregon... We lived in Roseburg for a while. We are going back next month for a funeral. Not looking forward to the funeral but I am looking forward to being back in the PacNW. My son is currently stationed in Seattle on the Midgett.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    duckygirl411

--
    09 Apr 2013 05:30 AM
    Thank you for your service.
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    09 Apr 2013 08:09 AM
    Welcome to the forum...we look forward to your many stories, and learning from your experience and vast knowledge. Thank you for your service to our great country.
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    Polarbill

--
    17 Apr 2013 02:57 AM
    Posted By Old Guard2 on 09 Apr 2013 06:25 AM
    Welcome Aboard PolarBill, happy to have you. Anything you want to contribute, some of the best stories are the older ones.  We would love it if you shared.

I see you are in Oregon... We lived in Roseburg for a while. We are going back next month for a funeral. Not looking forward to the funeral but I am looking forward to being back in the PacNW. My son is currently stationed in Seattle on the Midgett.
    Roseburg is nice there along the Umpqua.

Here's a story - your son is on the Midgett in Seattle - I was on another 378, the Munro, out of Seattle in 1973-76, that's where I made chief. About 10 years ago I was visiting Mazatlan and there's the Munro tied up at the Captain of the Port dock - I talked with a couple of the crew and they were complaining about what an old tub it was. Nearly new when I was aboard. 

I wasn't looking for ships, the best seafood restaurant in Mazatlan, Mariscos La Puntilla is right there.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    17 Apr 2013 06:00 AM
    If you were on the Munro you headed to Kodiak more than once, I'm sure. That's where my ex-husband was stationed right out of boot and then again out of A School. We were there from 85-90. I miss that stupid rock.

I'll bet it was nice to see your old ship sitting there. If I'm ever in Mazatlan, I'll have to look for the restaurant.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    17 Apr 2013 11:38 AM
    The Munro is now homeported in Kodiak. I see it regularly And I'm PCSing to Sector Columbia River soon.
    Honor: if you need it defined, you don’t have it.
    Polarbill

--
    17 Apr 2013 07:44 PM
    Old Guard2, we were in Kodiak quite a few times - we did all our mid-patrol breaks during ALPATs in Kodiak . I was there on the Northwind several times too - I don't remember ever stopping there on the Polars. I believe we also made the very last ocean station November on the Munro.

I have to admit if I had to pick a rock it would probably be Oahu rather than Kodiak. My daughter and her husband are PCSing to Hickam, AFB this summer and I'm looking forward to visiting them.

FloridaGirl, I was on the Resolute out of Astoria - other than the weather, which is awful, I enjoyed living there. My son graduated from Astoria High School just before we PCSd to D9 Cleveland.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement