Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Newbie looking to make it big
Last Post 14 May 2013 10:52 PM by Bells. 24 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Julian.Japan

--
10 May 2013 12:04 PM
    Hey everyone,
    My name is Julian and i'm currently a senior in high school. The past couple of months i've emerged myself in the world of the military and have fallen in love with the idea of becoming a coastie. 

Currently I'm in the process with my recruiter and am planning to take the asvab in a week or so which i have been studying everyday for the past 2 weeks. 

I hope to become an ME, but what i really want is to be a part of the LEDETs. And if it's even possible, a Warrant Officer for the LEDETs. 

I couldn't imagine myself working behind a desk, or in a hospital, or any of the bland civilian jobs. Even a majority of the military jobs don't seem appealing to me. Stopping drug smugglers, pirates, immigrants, saving lives, and protecting our country; thats what i want to be apart of. 

Any questions or incite please reply! 
    Thank you!
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    10 May 2013 12:18 PM
    Your going to be working behind a desk a lot of the time. As a seaman/fireman you wont so much, but Petty Officers definitely do.

Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    Julian.Japan

--
    10 May 2013 12:57 PM
    So you start off as a seaman/fireman, how long does that last until you go to your A school for ME training?
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    10 May 2013 01:52 PM
    Welcome...enjoy your journey and may it be as awesome as you have imagined it to be!

Stay focused on your goal and you shall achieve it!
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    CoastieOnceAgain

--
    10 May 2013 06:07 PM
    Rates are locked up, buddy...put in your time and you'll get what you invested in.  Good luck...
    Julian.Japan

--
    11 May 2013 09:24 AM
    Rates? Meaning what?
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    JBraz

--
    11 May 2013 10:27 AM
    Rates are our jobs. ME is a rate. Everyone wants to be an ME that walks through my door, therefore it is the longest wait to get to ME school than any other rate. You'll most likely be waiting 3-4 years before being an ME.

Try looking at other rates ME is not the only rate that does law enforcement.
    ~My destiny is to help others fulfill their destiny~
    Julian.Japan

--
    11 May 2013 08:01 PM
    Well i really want to be apart of LEDET, can i still if i don't become an ME? and is there anything similar to ME work wise?
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    11 May 2013 10:52 PM
    The ME rate is not the end-all, be-all of MLE. LEDETS are made up of all rates. Remember, LEDETS/TACLETS have been around much longer than the ME rate. You also need to understand that you will not go to a TACLET right out of boot camp. Chances are good you'll go to a STA or cutter of some type.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    Julian.Japan

--
    12 May 2013 08:54 PM
    so if i go in as a BM or something i can still join LEDETS? And i heard from my recruiter that you are only apart of the group for given period of time then you go back to your original job. Is that true?
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    13 May 2013 06:08 AM
    LEDET is a unit. Like the Midgett is a unit. So yes, if you get assigned there, you will leave there. Prepare yourself that you may never get assigned there.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Julian.Japan

--
    13 May 2013 10:36 AM
    So is it even possible to have a warrant position over LEDET? And can you always extend your stay with the unit?
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    13 May 2013 07:19 PM
    I don't know the rank structure at a LEDET, so I won't answer about the warrant. You MIGHT be able to extend at the unit but you can't extend for a career. Maybe a year, maybe if they need you. Probably not, I wouldn't count on it. You know there is a lot of law enforcement at a lot of other units. You are SOOOOO focused on one unit you are losing focus of the big picture of the CG. Again, you might never get assigned to the LEDET. Then what????
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    13 May 2013 09:05 PM
    OG is right, if you request to extend it probably will only be for one year, one time. Also, you are competing with a couple hundred other people for this job, about every 3-4 years when you are up for transfer. The odds are just not in your favor
    Julian.Japan

--
    13 May 2013 09:07 PM
    What other type of other law enforcements units are there? And big picture meaning what exactly?
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ebee

--
    14 May 2013 07:28 AM
    Julian what is it about the LEDETs that interests you so much? It's possible that other units do the kinds of things you find so fascinating about LEDETs.
    Julian.Japan

--
    14 May 2013 07:33 AM
    The training seems interesting and the type of work you have to do. I would love to be able to prevent drug smugglers or pirates. It's not your typical job that you can find in the civilian world.
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    14 May 2013 08:35 AM
    You really need to explore the CG's core missions more. LEDETS/TACLETS are not the only units that do drug interdiction, or LE in general. Small boat stations and cutters of all sizes are actively involved in the LE mission on a daily basis. A boarding team from a cutter is a mix of rates, none of which may be ME. Those folks assigned to the boarding team will have extensive on the job law enforcement training, and very likely have attended the formal boarding team member (BTM) or boarding officer (BO) school.

If you focus so narrowly on the ME rate and LEDETS, you're going to miss out on a lot of what the CG has to offer.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    Julian.Japan

--
    14 May 2013 09:00 AM
    Posted By CPORJM on 14 May 2013 09:35 AM
    You really need to explore the CG's core missions more. LEDETS/TACLETS are not the only units that do drug interdiction, or LE in general. Small boat stations and cutters of all sizes are actively involved in the LE mission on a daily basis. A boarding team from a cutter is a mix of rates, none of which may be ME. Those folks assigned to the boarding team will have extensive on the job law enforcement training, and very likely have attended the formal boarding team member (BTM) or boarding officer (BO) school.

If you focus so narrowly on the ME rate and LEDETS, you're going to miss out on a lot of what the CG has to offer.

What type of core missions are there? core missions meaning what exactly? And are boarding teams comprised for drug interdiction?
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    14 May 2013 03:21 PM
    Boarding teams from cutters do EVERYTHING. Drug interdiction, migrant interdiction, rescues at sea... My son is an OS onboard a 378. On his last patrol he held an integral part in apprehending a drug smuggler. He wasn't on the boarding team, he was in combat, helping to make sure his ship was in line to capture the other ship. The boarding team went out, captured the boat and they brought aboard over 1000 pounds of cocaine. No LEDET involved.

Research, research, research... Speaking face to face with a recruiter would help. Again, not getting so focused on one thing you miss out on everything else.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Julian.Japan

--
    14 May 2013 03:29 PM
    How do you join a boarding team? And why would they need groups like LEDET/TACLET/ or MSSRT if they if they have boarding teams?
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    14 May 2013 05:28 PM
    You really need to do some research. TACLETS/LEDETS have a different mission than a boarding team from a cutter or small boat station. TACLETS/LEDETS are usually embarked aboard US Navy vessels, which enables the Navy to conduct LE missions. This is something they would not normally be able to due to the Posse Comitatus Act, which forbids DoD entities from conducting LE missions.
    A boarding team is something you request once at a unit, such as a small boat station. You're then trained, in house, at a formal school, or possibly both. I received both. I attended Boarding Team Member (BTM) School at TRACEN Petaluma, but earned my Boarding Officer qualification during a tour at STA Calumet Harbor.

To answer your question posed earlier about the CG's core missions: Search and Rescue (probably what we're most known for), Aids to Navigation (AtoN), Port Security, Marine Environmental Protection, Icebreaking, Maritime Law Enforcement (MLE), and National Defense missions. Most folks don't know this, but the CG had a large presence in the recent Iraqi conflict, conducting port security operations. I was there for a good part of '03, dong exactly that.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    14 May 2013 08:06 PM
    Chief, my ex-husband was in Iraq in 2010. He was stationed in Umm Qasr. He is my ex but I'll tell you, there were nights I was worried. But I should have known, he excelled just as he always does and he gained a lot while being there. I hope you had a good tour there and got something positive out of it.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Julian.Japan

--
    14 May 2013 08:48 PM
    Thanks for the great info CPORJM! So what would you prefer? A boarding team or a LEDET/TACLET unit? And are boarding teams usually longer lasting then units?
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    14 May 2013 10:52 PM
    Like what Chief said you need to do some research. Have you talked to a recruiter yet? Being on a boarding team is a collateral. I could have gone FS and be on a boarding team, and tours are 2-3-4 years long for enlisted (are 87s still 2 years or did they move to 3?)
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement