Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Interest in IS
Last Post 30 May 2013 10:14 PM by x a n d e r. 4 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
kingkong

--
20 May 2013 03:17 PM
    I have a ship day of June 11th, possible graduation August 2nd, and a long list to look forward to with the 6 year/E3 pledge. After reading some posts, and doing some research, I have found little, if any, information to assist me in deciding if this is ultimately what I'll be doing. I can understand if much isn't shared due to security reasons but I was just interested in the life style, work, and environment. A recruiter once told me he worked with one briefly and that particular IS worked overnight which I have no problem with. I am also interested in possibly finding out where would be a good position to taste what IS' do and which will garner me with the knowledge and skills (although I know anywhere will be perfectly fine) to succeed at the A-school and in the rate.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    janelleyfish

--
    20 May 2013 04:33 PM
    There's an IS topic on the A-school board - have you tried there?
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    20 May 2013 08:37 PM
    The IS rate is shrouded in quite a bit of secrecy but there is a reason for that. Check out the thread Janelleyfish suggests but be prepared to not know a whole lot more. It would be much better to find someone in the IS rating and speak one on one to that person. I can only imagine that rating can be quite interesting.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    BM1JB

--
    25 May 2013 05:17 PM
    Just to let you know if things don't change you may not make it to school in that first 6 year enlistment.  The wait for IS right now is 7 years.  I'm sure things will change in 7 years, but just be warned.  You may want a back up plan. 

Good luck
    x a n d e r

--
    30 May 2013 10:14 PM
    Once you get in you will find people more willing to let you in on information about the rate; as well as help you find people who are in the IS rate. I can tell you that I was in your position and I did a lot of digging to find out everything.

I will tell you that the wait for IS is long. 7 years is the maximum I have heard and around 3 years is the best case scenario. This is a long wait. You also have to consider the value of IS. If you succeed and are well versed in the rate; you can find a good government job as well as keep moving up in the CG.

If you are coming in straight out of High School I do not feel bad telling you that you should just stick it out and wait. In this scenario you have little to no professional experience and the job you are waiting for has a very large value for no college training prior to being able to do the job after A-School. The Coast Guard has implemented measures that are aimed to help with the rate congestion so you probably will not wait 7 years.

Now if you have some College or a Bachelors; you may feel animosity for having to wait since you may already have professional experience and a degree. I can say the wait will be long even if you are already on the list; but it is impossible to know if the wait will be 7 years. Although a Rate like IS is well worth it; someone who is older may want to get a career started and make rank. I have been on the Military.com forum and seen the RFMC post that daunting number. These are all things you can find out without being in. So I do not feel as if I am divulging OPSEC breaching information. If I am anyone is free to PM me and I will delete this post.

You most likely will not be around an IS after boot camp. You can work very hard and show you lead petty officer you are committed to the Coast Guard and I am sure they would find someone to steer you in the right direction of finding one to ask questions.

You should be going to Cape May soon if your shipdate still stands. Be positive and focus on training. You still have to wait 4 months at your first unit before you can select an A-School list so you should not let this trouble you in Boot Camp. Be happy you are being given the opportunity to join such a long standing service. A lot of people are trying to get in right now and it is not easy. Memorize everything your recruiter told you to.

When your at your first unit and if you still can not find anyone to ask about the rate you can PM me on here and I will give you my global.

Xander
    “I came to believe that good and evil are names for what people do, not for what they are.” ― Philip Pullman
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement