Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
"Newbie"
Last Post 22 May 2013 09:45 PM by Default Again. 6 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Default Again

--
22 May 2013 08:27 AM
    Hello,

I've been on this forum for about a year now gathering information that will help prepare me to enter the USCG. Its probably time I formally introduce myself on this forum.

I grew up in Utah, joined the UT Army National Guard. My grandfather was UTNG for 42 years and retired as an E9 (Command Sergeant Major). My father was UTNG for a cumulative 22 years, half of which was with the Army Guard and the other half in the Air Guard. He was an OCS graduate but made it only to Captain (O3) since he did not have a college education. My younger brother has been in the UTNG since 2003. All three of my family members mentioned were Army Engineers (build stuff engineers, not blow stuff up engineers).

Me, I chose Intelligence. I speak Portuguese, Spanish, and Russian. I have an AA in Russian, a BA in Intel Studies and I'm now close to an MA in Intel. I've been in the UTARNG since 1999. Since that time, I've spent a couple years in Brazil, two 14 month tours to Iraq (initial invasion, the surge), over 4 years as an instructor for my military occupational specialty 97E/35M. Right now I'm a SFC (E7) unit administrator...

...but that will be only until 10 June when I begin separation leave  because I was selected as a DCIO candidate and I will commission into the USCG in July. Please take note of the smiley above, that's my excited face. I was an alternate last year, but this year I made it. I'm now just waiting to hear from an assignment officer who will let me know where I'm going. I'm in touch with the other DCIO candidate, he's provided some great guidance for me. My recruiters have been great as well. I became aware of the DCIO program in 2008 because of two friends who were accepted to the USCG through this program. As a SFC of 14 years (10 active), I'm feel like I have a lot of experience and a lot to offer the USCG. It will be hard to remove my stripes and pin on the butter bar; I know how I look at young Second Lieutenants (O1). That being said, I know there is a lot that an Army SFC does not know about being a USCG Ensign. I'm excited to learn.

I have a wife, a 2 year old daughter, two dogs, a Harley, more guns than fingers, and I'm a big 49ers fan. I'm pretty excited to finally be able to join the ranks of the USCG.  

O be wise, what can I say more? -Jacob
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    22 May 2013 11:19 AM
    Thanks for the introduction...I will try not to hold the fact that you are not a Cowboy fan against you :-) Congrats on being selected as a DCIO candidate...we are excited for you.

Enjoy the journey and may it be full of exciting and awesome adventure!
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    22 May 2013 01:33 PM
    We appreciate you more for NOT being a Cowboys fan. Capt is just a little confused in his thinking. LOL I'm a Giants girl myself... And what team was it that beat the Cowboys in their season opener of their brand new Jerry World stadium????? Oh that's right... the boys in blue from NY! GO GIANTS!

Good luck Default! I hope you have the same career as the others in your family.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ebee

--
    22 May 2013 02:39 PM
    Hail to the Redskins.

That is all.

Oh, and congrats again, Default! Glad to see your hard work persistence paid off. It looks like you've had a pretty interesting career thus far.
    Default Again

--
    22 May 2013 03:15 PM
    It has been an interesting career, indeed. I'm grateful for my time with the UTNG and I fully recognize that it was my service with them that set me up to be eligible for this DCIO program.

I agree...at least I'm not a Cowboys fan. I should probably be more specific. I'm a HUGE 49ers fan and a fan of anyone playing the Cowboys or Patriots. lol. In all seriousness, I'm excited to watch the NFC East. I believe that the divisions which are won in the last two weeks are the harder divisions. That is why the Giants were able to take the Super Bowl twice at 9-7. It is the same reason why the 2011 49ers and the 2012 Broncos were the first to win their division...crappy divisions. The 2012 49ers were a better team with a worse record because the Seahawks were a lot better.

I love football.

I'm hoping to end up in the DC area (given that I'm a DCIO, DC seems likely). Niners head to Washington to take on the Redskins in November. If RG3 is healthy and if the 'Skins defense can take that next step up, that should be an interesting match-up. I know Alameda is closer to 'home', but who wants to be in a fun place for their first assignment? As a lower ranking officer trying to finish the master's degree and learning the ropes of USCG Intel doesn't sound like a lot of free time.
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    22 May 2013 06:53 PM
    A little confused...now that is saying it nice...HAHAHAHA

Too funny OldGuard.

My wife is a die hard Seahawk fan and all of her family is 49er fans...a new owner would do the Cowboys wonders!
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    Default Again

--
    22 May 2013 09:45 PM
    I'm excited to see how the Seahawks are going to do. I've never been a fan, but I think the NFC West getting stronger is a great thing. I wouldn't sleep on the Rams his year, either. Interesting little tid bit...between 2001 and 2012, every NFC West team has been to the Super Bowl. Sure, we lost all of them... But still...lol
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement