Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
USCG Fitness Test
Last Post 26 May 2013 01:59 AM by h2opoloplyr. 8 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Default Again

--
24 May 2013 07:45 PM
    Hello. I'm a recently selected DCO candidate. I'll be at the academy in August. I'm currently in the Army and I'm not really concerned about fitness, but I'm curious to know where to find the USCG's fitness test standards. I've heard that it's 1 minute of pushups, 1 minute of situps, a 1.5 mile run, and 450 meter swim. I'm quite confident in the pushups/situps, I can do 2 miles in about 15 minutes (not great, but that puts me about 11:15 in for 1.5 miles), but I rarely swim. I found some fitness assessment in COMDTINST M1020.8G, but I recall being told that this manual is now obsolete. I could be completely mistaken. This brings me to the second half of my question. Where can I find a good workout program that would prepare me for a 450 meter swim?
    O be wise, what can I say more? -Jacob
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    25 May 2013 12:02 AM
    The fitness test should be the same as the one in BOAT Vol. II.

Swimming theres nothing to it but to do it, just get in the pool every day and practice doing laps. My first day I couldn't even get properly across the lane, but after a couple months you get used to it. Also if you have any swimming buddies ask them to watch you to make sure you aren't dragging your feet and keeping your body pretty straight, that'll help you a lot.
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    JBraz

--
    25 May 2013 06:10 AM
    It's a little different at the academy they go off of a points system for OCS and DCO school but I can't find the reference to shoe you.
    ~My destiny is to help others fulfill their destiny~
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    25 May 2013 06:38 AM
    When it comes to swimming the key is form, form, form. Your body will build endurance with time, but if your form sucks you'll just wear yourself out. If you don't swim often start with 25 yard lengths with a rest in between. Build up to 1 lap non-stop and etc, etc. Source: Former lifeguard and avid swimmer.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    25 May 2013 10:12 AM
    http://www.uscg.org/Forum/aft/11093.aspx

Here is a past thread on swimming...
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    Default Again

--
    25 May 2013 10:51 AM
    Awesome, thank you very much for your help. I saw the point system in the DCO Reporting Guide (found at http://www.uscga.edu/subsites/ldcco...?id=2759). I still thought there would be a PT test on top of that at some point. You guys have been very helpful. There is a pool at a local rec center that has 50 meter laps. Down and back once and I am gasping for air pretty good. I've only been to work out twice and I'm barely making it 1000 meters (stopping at the end of each lap feeling like I'm going to die). I'll watch those videos from the other thread and focus on form. I'll also search for another nearby pool with 25 meter laps. Again, thank you. Running just doesn't prepare someone for swimming. I'll do 12-16 miles a week running, but the swimming needs work.
    O be wise, what can I say more? -Jacob
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    25 May 2013 11:48 AM
    50 meter lengths vs 25 meter lengths is huge. Youtube will have tons of videos showing proper form, I highly recommend mastering the front crawl.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    25 May 2013 01:55 PM
    I would stay with the 50 meter p-ool...after you are tired from swimming, tread water for as long as youcan...have fun
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    h2opoloplyr

--
    26 May 2013 01:59 AM
    Like everyone has said, the best thing to do is to just swim laps. I played water polo for 6 years and I get asked all the time how I can function in the water to play water polo. I tell them that its basically like learning how to walk all over again and once you get used to it it becomes second nature. Just swim and figure out what technique works and which one doesn't. Everyone is different. I was always told to breathe on both sides, I watched Michael Phelps swim the 200m event in the Olympics and he was only breathing to one side. Figure out what works for you.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement