Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Has anyone been stationed in Alaska?
Last Post 24 Oct 2013 12:40 AM by Bells. 33 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
tamaramarrero

--
05 Jun 2013 12:04 PM
    I have a few questions for anyone who has been stationed in alaska,
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    05 Jun 2013 12:49 PM
    We lived on Kodiak for 5 years and Valdez for 4 years. My ex-husband went back and did a tour in Anchorage, then back to back tours in Juneau. I've been all around the state. FloridaGirl is currently stationed there but departing soon.

Feel free to ask away. What would you like to know.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    tamaramarrero

--
    05 Jun 2013 12:55 PM
    Posted By Old Guard2 on 05 Jun 2013 01:49 PM
    We lived on Kodiak for 5 years and Valdez for 4 years. My ex-husband went back and did a tour in Anchorage, then back to back tours in Juneau. I've been all around the state. FloridaGirl is currently stationed there but departing soon.

Feel free to ask away. What would you like to know.
    Awesome So i'll be leaving for boot camp on June 11th. and one of the districts I have been looking to is 13 because of Washington, District 7 because i'm from Florida and it's close. and the last would be district 17, alaska. So im hesitating to put alaska on my dream sheet because i've heard if you ask for it, you will get it. So my question is. Usually when you're stationed up there is it on a cutter or on base or what is it like? Also are you leaving in dorm rooms? 

Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    05 Jun 2013 02:52 PM
    Depends all on where you are stationed in Alaska. There are a variety of units/living situations/opportunites here, just like the lower 48.
    Honor: if you need it defined, you don’t have it.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    05 Jun 2013 03:26 PM
    While it is likely you would get Alaska if you asked for that district there is no sure guarantee. Also D13 encompasses more than just Washington. You could end up at a small boat station in Depoe Bay, Oregon. I was just there and I wouldn't mind a tour there myself. I loved it. But that is my taste, a small community like Depoe Bay might not be in the best interest for all.

As FG said, what type of unit you will end up at is just as varied as if you ask for D7. They have a little of everything in Alaska. Living in Kodiak is not the same as living in Sitka or Valdez or Juneau. Each area is it's own experience. Keep in mind, in hte military... it is barracks rooms. LOL

As for life there... you had better not have seasonal depression. The winters are long, cold and dark. You do get used to it but if you require a lot of sun, that will be difficult to enjoy. I moved there the first time in December. How my husband didn't lock me in an insane asylum, I still don't understand. I cried constantly. Thought he put me in the closest thing to Hell I would ever experience. Then spring happened. The greenest, lushest, most beautiful place God ever put on the planet. After that winters weren't so hard to take because I knew spring was coming. You have to enjoy outdoor activities. Hiking, camping, fishing, bike riding, picture taking... There is a lot of all of that. If you want shopping, fine cuisine, nightlife of the latest music and hottest celebs... you are heading in the wrong direction.

I can't speak to Florida, I have never lived there. Personally, I'm not sure I would. I don't like sand, sun, beach... I'm a middle of the road girl. Put me by a lake on a 65 degree day, all year round and I would be very happy. But no matter where you end up, make sure you don't pout or cry or wish you were someplace else. Everywhere you go there is something to see, to do, to experience, to try... The CG gives you an opportunity to see it. Take the greatest advantage you can of that. If you are lucky enoug to get Alaska, if it turns out to be not your cup of tea, just think... you might not have ever been afforded the chance to find out if the CG didn't put you there. So always enjoy no matter where you go! You don't have to go back but you have to make the best out of being there.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    05 Jun 2013 03:44 PM
    Yep, seasonal depression is really hard. I give big props to hubby who married me even when I was completely crazy (he still thinks I am, but that's ok)
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    CaptNick

--
    05 Jun 2013 04:02 PM
    Im in Kodiak. Its awesome. My next tour will probably be in Alaska as well. If you like the outdoors, theres no place better. Weather takes some getting used to for sure...
    tamaramarrero

--
    05 Jun 2013 04:27 PM
    Thanks guys for the input. and yes i know every district has a variety of places i could be stationed at. But it's good to have faith and hope you get where you want lol. Yeah i love looking at the scenery in Alaska and i'm like so hesitant to go get stationed there but on the other hand im like wanting to be stationed there. I guess the biggest concern is I have a partner and I would be so far away as to compared being just within the country. I love the outdoors and doing so many activities just wondering if it's the right choice. Ahh so hard!
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    magmam

--
    05 Jun 2013 04:48 PM
    Old Guard...I am logged in under magmam but it says I am unauthorized to start a new topic??
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    05 Jun 2013 05:20 PM
    I can't speak to Florida

It's awesome.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    05 Jun 2013 06:38 PM
    I spent 22 years of my life in Florida. I miss it in it's own way, but I'm not trying to go back or anything. I think now that I've gotten out, I realize there is too much of the world to see and I intend on seeing it.
    tamaramarrero

--
    05 Jun 2013 06:50 PM
    Posted By FloridaGirl on 05 Jun 2013 07:38 PM
    I spent 22 years of my life in Florida. I miss it in it's own way, but I'm not trying to go back or anything. I think now that I've gotten out, I realize there is too much of the world to see and I intend on seeing it.

Exactly. I've lived in Cuba 6 years and Florida 14 years and I'm so excited to leave and experience other places its amazing and I'm so thankful I got into the coast guard that gives me that chance of exploring. Do you regret living in Alaska?
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    fowlfeet

--
    05 Jun 2013 09:01 PM
    I'd love to do a tour in Alaska, but I don't think I could handle it very well as my first station straight outta basic. Im in florida now and have definitely gotten tired of the humidity, so I'm wishing big for D11 or 13... Tamarammarrero, I hope you get what you want and good luck!
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    06 Jun 2013 02:16 AM
    I would never ask for Alaska. I would probably deny orders. But thats just me. Ive spent plenty of time of there and in Washington and I was just sick of the rain and cold.

Do I regret it? No. But I didn't have any choice. Overall the pros outweighed the cons.
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    06 Jun 2013 05:33 AM
    I'm in WIsconsin now... You want to go someplace you'll despise, come here. I would move back to Alaska tomorrow if I could find a job to allow me to live comfortably. Not rich, not above my means, just comfortable. Nice house, lights on, cable, internet, able to go out for dinner a few times a month... nothing extravagant. But sadly finding a job at my pay scale would be virtually impossible. So I stay here, yay me.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    06 Jun 2013 09:18 AM
    Lol I dont think I could live in Wisconsin either, although the Packers are going to be phenomenal this year
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    jni3

--
    06 Jun 2013 09:18 AM
    i spent a total of nine years in ak. loved almost every minute of it. not ketchikan though, but that was the unit not the location. i pcs'ed away from there almost a year and a half ago and am missing it like crazy. but it's not for everyone.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    06 Jun 2013 10:46 AM
    TX is where it's at, IMO.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    06 Jun 2013 12:05 PM
    Yeah, I would be torn which to chose if someone offered me Alaska or Texas... good job, house, enough salary to survive comfortably... I'm really not sure which I would pick. I think I just might lean more towards Texas.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    06 Jun 2013 12:06 PM
    But then again, there is always Oregon to consider. Never NJ, Louisiana, Virginia... but I could throw Oregon in that mix, too!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    06 Jun 2013 03:45 PM
    You have no idea how excited I am about Oregon. I already hope we stay forever LOL!
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    06 Jun 2013 05:30 PM
    Well Mrs. it isn't so much that Oregon will be great... But you have your Mr., your house, a new command... Of course you already think it will be marvelous. And I really hope it is even better than that!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    JBjunior

--
    10 Jun 2013 08:11 AM
    Where are you going in Oregon FloridaGirl? We have been here since January and I enjoy it. Oregon is similar to AK in some ways.

I have spent about half my career in AK and I am looking for an opportunity to go back. Altogether it is a different experience and if you can deal with a little weather it is a wonderful place to be.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    10 Jun 2013 11:41 AM
    Sector Columbia River. I'm definitely very excited. I've visted several times, and I love it there.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    JBjunior

--
    10 Jun 2013 09:31 PM
    Posted By FloridaGirl on 10 Jun 2013 12:41 PM
    Sector Columbia River. I'm definitely very excited. I've visted several times, and I love it there.

We will be in the same town.  I am from and enjoy the east coast and also love AK.  I wasn't expecting to like this area as much as I do.  I can't pinpoint any one thing that makes it a place I like, but it has a lot going for it.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    10 Jun 2013 09:44 PM
    My husband loves it there. In fact, I'd bet you that you know my husband. He was on the Alert as a nonrate, and now he's a YN (and the only male YN at Sector, so if you know him, you know him lol)

EDIT:  And he's introduced me to most of the people in the Admin building, so if you live there, you might have met me too!
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    JBjunior

--
    11 Jun 2013 05:36 PM
    I have only been to the sector a few times. I vaguely remember seeing a guy there but have been assisted by females every time.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    jni3

--
    17 Jun 2013 07:12 PM
    i've noticed the last two weeks in anchorage, the weather has been phenomenal. the best summer they've had in years. i wish i never left and can't wait to leave the east coast.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    17 Jun 2013 07:16 PM
    Don't like the least coast? Want to go back to the best coast? Lo
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    17 Jun 2013 07:21 PM
    Its been fantastic here!
    You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 212 > >>

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement