Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
CG Auxiliary Legal Work
Last Post 05 Jul 2013 06:46 AM by mmooneysr. 5 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
njlawschool

--
30 Jun 2013 02:59 PM
    I am in law school and interested in Coast Guard JAG and the Coast Guard Auxiliary, but I was not sure if there is any legal work available for those in the auxiliary and was not able to find out anywhere else.  Thanks.
    NYBo

--
    30 Jun 2013 03:51 PM
    The Auxiliary has a position of District Staff Office-Legal. I know that the DSO-L in my district is an attorney.
    njlawschool

--
    30 Jun 2013 06:57 PM
    Thanks.

I have some hearing loss in one ear. Would something like that prevent service in the CG Auxilliary?
    NYBo

--
    30 Jun 2013 07:00 PM
    Absolutely not. It could be an issue for the regular CG, though.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    VicNaz1

--
    01 Jul 2013 09:38 AM
    So long as you qualify in all of the other necessary ways (U. S. Citizen, background check, etc.) a hearing loss in one ear should not keep you from serving with the Aux. You do however need to dig a little deeper into this issue if you want to investigate going Active Duty as a JAG officer. I know that it MIGHT be a problem if you were trying to get into the Academy but I’m less familiar with issues related to Direct Commission as an officer.

One of my Aux. crewmates training to serve alongside the active duty on the 41' UTB boat in Annapolis enjoyed the experience of training with the active duty guys so much that he joined up. He’s now an active duty CG JAG LT down in Portsmouth. As a special, desirable recruit (as I am sure Attorneys are considered) you may be able to talk to a recruiter on the active duty side and get answers faster than the run-the-mill candidate.

If you join the Aux. first it will give you a taste of what you're getting involved with. This will be especially true if you get accepted to train with the active duty as an Aux. serving on active duty boats, planes, on cutters, at stations, etc. There is a significant need for knowledgeable attorneys in the Aux. so you’ll be very welcome, especially if you’re young and willing to contribute.

If you can find a moment, look up the local Aux. in your area and attend a Flotilla meeting or two. Make a point of sharing your aspirations with the Flotilla Commander and he may be able to give you some good advice and also find someone in the active duty (often called the "gold side") for you to talk to. If you want, contact me and I'll ask my crewmate who became a JAG officer if he has the time to speak with you on these issues.
    mmooneysr

--
    05 Jul 2013 06:46 AM
    For information re a legal career in USCG JAG go to uscg.mil/legal/recruit.  A number of links will direct you to requirements--physical and academic--and the process of entering the direct commissioning program. 

Re the AUX google USCG AUX for a unit near you and contact that unit.  Prior response concerning joining the Auxiliary I believe answers your query.  

Clearly JAG offers a career in legal work whereas the AUX legal concerns itself with internal administrative work more than day to day legal work.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement