Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
not good news for CG
Last Post 15 Jul 2013 08:51 AM by MasterGuns2077. 14 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
magmam

--
11 Jul 2013 02:16 PM
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    11 Jul 2013 04:00 PM
    “It is time for the president to tell Congress what missions the Coast Guard will no longer conduct,” says House Coast Guard and maritime transportation subcommittee Chairman Duncan Hunter (R-Calif.). “It is simply irresponsible to continue to send our servicemen and women out on failing legacy assets commissioned over 50 years ago and expect them to succeed in their missions.”

Well said.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    magmam

--
    12 Jul 2013 08:39 AM
    Gears I am interested in what type of missions you think the CG would have to give up to survive? Personally I think they need some good PR, the general population doesn't have a clue what they do
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    12 Jul 2013 08:54 AM
    IMO, it all comes down to one question: How much is a life worth? One of my last cases at the Station involved 2 men trapped on a breakwall facing hypothermia and 2 missing children. I directed 15 assets on scene that day, the 2 men were taken to safety and the 2 missing kids were already on shore and safe. I have no idea how much that particular case cost in man hours, fuel, maintenance, etc. But, I know it didn't cost the lives of 4 people that day. Take that FWIW.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    12 Jul 2013 09:33 AM
    If it was my loved ones... it would be worth ten times whatever it cost to know they are safe, alive, still here... I do agree that the CG is the most forgotten service. Things are trying to change that. Even though I greatly dislike the CG Florida/Alaska whatever shows, they are bringing to light what we do. Well, what airdales do. But it is highlighting the work, the training, the mission, the impoosibility of some of the decisions made. Hopefully more people watch it, see it, appreciate what the CG is there for. I just wish they would focus on more than just the life saving aspect. Huge part of the mission? Absolutely! Are there other things equally as important? You betcha.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    12 Jul 2013 09:43 AM
    I just wish they would focus on more than just the life saving aspect.

I agree. Aids To Navigation (ATON) Units work hard to maintain channel markers so mariners know where they can pass safely. Is it exciting, adrenaline pumping work? Not really, but it keeps people safe.

Back to the original question, what missions should we cut? I don't know. But, we shouldn't cut the ones that have an impact on saving lives.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    12 Jul 2013 10:04 AM
    What about the ones saving livliehoods? (Did I spell that correctly?) If it weren't for Marine Inspectors things like the Exxon Valdez might happen more often. Granted there was no actual loss of life in that situation. But commercial fisheries were effected thereby resulting in a loss of income. That could drastically alter the course of a life, losing house, boat, possibly spouse, income...

If anyone can think of a mission that could be cut safely, I would love to hear it. I can't really think of any part that we could say "Oh, we could live without that..." Fill in that blank for me. Just curious what people would think.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Lance

--
    12 Jul 2013 07:12 PM
    Alright people here it goes...

You turn on the TV flipping through channels, you pass the local news, PBS, Telemundo, HSN, then the weather channel, guess whats on? Coast Guard Florida and a SK 3 is paying for a PR over the phone, after that they film 2 FS's baking cookies for the dinner meal... You continue your way to Teen Mom 2 recap.....I get it, we (rotor heads...) live in this magical good life. We steal all the fame from everyone else... I know. Hate to say it but its just the way it is, it's not fair but the show is better then nothing. It's just like "Inside Combat Rescue" on Natgeo with the PJ's. Nobody wants to see 7 Airmen loading cargo and big ol' jet for 5 hours. They want to see "cool" stuff. Everyone has a job to do and yes it only shows just a tid bit of what we do. The show has to help, who knows how much of how little. Heck, there's a FREAKING 65 IN THE TOP CORNER OF THIS WEBSITE why? Because if you have a 47 year old Contruction tender it won't attract people.

You wanna save the CG money? Here's what I've always asked myself:
    Dumb CG decals, waste. You need to show your ID already.
    LE patrols for aircrew, I have absolutely ZERO training besides looking for anything suspicious...
    Having contract security guards on bases. What's up CG PD?
    Get rid of every BM billet there is and ever will be. (Gears, we friends yet?)
    I truly believe it's all how the "guys" up top talk to congress, that decides your cash flow.

Gears, Macie, Jbraz I'm sorry. Mkelly, boy or girl ? <-- added this guy to lighten the mood...
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    JBjunior

--
    12 Jul 2013 08:01 PM
    Posted By Lance on 12 Jul 2013 08:12 PM
    Alright people here it goes...

You turn on the TV flipping through channels, you pass the local news, PBS, Telemundo, HSN, then the weather channel, guess whats on? Coast Guard Florida and a SK 3 is paying for a PR over the phone, after that they film 2 FS's baking cookies for the dinner meal... You continue your way to Teen Mom 2 recap.....I get it, we (rotor heads...) live in this magical good life. We steal all the fame from everyone else... I know. Hate to say it but its just the way it is, it's not fair but the show is better then nothing. It's just like "Inside Combat Rescue" on Natgeo with the PJ's. Nobody wants to see 7 Airmen loading cargo and big ol' jet for 5 hours. They want to see "cool" stuff. Everyone has a job to do and yes it only shows just a tid bit of what we do. The show has to help, who knows how much of how little. Heck, there's a FREAKING 65 IN THE TOP CORNER OF THIS WEBSITE why? Because if you have a 47 year old Contruction tender it won't attract people.

You wanna save the CG money? Here's what I've always asked myself:
    Dumb CG decals, waste. You need to show your ID already.
    LE patrols for aircrew, I have absolutely ZERO training besides looking for anything suspicious...
    Having contract security guards on bases. What's up CG PD?
    I truly believe it's all how the "guys" up top talk to congress, that decides your cash flow.

Gears, Macie, Jbraz I'm sorry. Mkelly, boy or girl ? <-- added this guy to lighten the mood...

I am going to assume that all of your cost saving measures are just jokes....

Decals, gone already.  Look up the ALCOAST.
    LE Patrols-  What else would you be looking for other than anything suspicious?
    Contract security guards- Cheaper than even having a non-rate do it.  Pay a contract employee a small wage that doesn't compare to salary, benefits and retirement for an enlisted member.  Contractor eats all of those costs or doesn't offer them.
    BM- cool

Our budget works on a 3+ year cycle.  With a limited amount of money, thank goodness, congress has to prioritize.  When the CG is in the news we are a priority, the other 95% of the time we are just another organization that needs money.  We will survive, we have before with far less funding and will continue to do so.  Budgets across the board have dwindled and specifically the astronomical funding for DOD will continue to fall, hopefully. 

No doubt we need a bigger piece of the pie and you are right, we have to figure out how to let others know our value. 

If you want to see government waste look up the article regarding the Department of Commerce and the recent spending of around $3 million to eradicate a non-existent computer virus.... Then you will see why the public is skeptical.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    12 Jul 2013 09:20 PM

BEST friends.

What else would you be looking for other than anything suspicious?

I've done LE patrols.. How do aviators define suspicious?

Also, sorry for what? Choosing a rating that comes with a news crew and a bucket of medals? I could've gone aviation, but there more helos in the ocean than boats in the sky. I stand by my decision.

Furthermore.. a 65 is no where near as sexy as an 87' PB.. just sayin.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Lance

--
    13 Jul 2013 08:25 AM
    JB- bingo on the assumption.
    Gears- kudos on the "rating that comes with a TV crew and bucket of medals". Thats a first, I like it. Now for more planes in the ocean that boats in... (Im yawning)

As for LE patrols and what to look for, Its South Florida, EVERY single boat is the exact same. Without spilling to much info on a public forum its a waste of money. Gears, best friends do have differences.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    13 Jul 2013 08:35 AM
    Lance, diversity is a beautiful thing. How do you feel about, "Stay safe and keep the round side down." That's also a mainstay for me.

I'm not a fan of LE, I did it for years.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    jni3

--
    15 Jul 2013 02:55 AM
    anyone remember this awesome term "deepwater"? how much was wasted on the 123 portion of the project?
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    15 Jul 2013 05:25 AM
    I was at Bollinger shipyard when the first 123' commissioned. At the same time another 110' was being put through the transformation. I heard after the first one got underway it was nothing but problems.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    MasterGuns2077

--
    15 Jul 2013 08:51 AM
    Knew a guy on the Matagorda, one of the 123's. Said he got plenty of practice fighting flooding.
    Does anyone on CG Alaska/Florida complain that they don't have the funding to their job properly?
    If not, how does the public know we're being bled dry except for one or two articles that don't get close to enough press?
    Your passion for what you do will set you free.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement