Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Need advice on what path to take - Expatriate
Last Post 23 Jul 2013 04:55 PM by CrSeth. 10 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
CrSeth

--
19 Jul 2013 01:52 PM
    Hey Guys!

My situation is fairly unique and as such need advice. I am a U.S expatriate currently living in Costa Rica, 20 years old and have a HS diploma obtained here. My parents moved here when I was only six. My primary ambition, and dream really, is to fly heli for the USCG. I have always dreamed of becoming a pilot, serving our country and helping others while doing it would just be amazing. I feel that I would excel greatly at it.

I understand that in order for someone to even be considered for flight school, you have to be an officer and have a bachelors degree. I plan to possibly continue my education here at the Institute of Technology or University of Costa Rica. Going for a degree in computer science, most likely. 

My concern first and foremost is. Will the military even look at me, due to me practically growing up in a foreign country? And if yes. Will they accept my HS diploma and possibly a future bachelors degree from a foreign country, such as Costa Rica? I would have my credentials translated and evaluated by a company such as SpanTran. Or should I just try to fund 4 years of college in the States somehow, and proceed from there? I also looked at the CG Academy, however I am not sure if my primarily foreign HS education, is going to completely eliminate any already slim chances I would have of being accepted. 

I do have some things going for me. I am fully bilingual, exceed at math, science and engineering, also I practically grew up on the beach.

Hopefully I am asking in the right place. Many thanks in advance for any advice!

Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    JBraz

--
    19 Jul 2013 02:33 PM
    Slim pickings these days for OCS and on top of that you want flight which is again going to be difficult as well. You would indeed need your education verified. My recommendation would be to enlist, or go back to college in the US at a minority college and apply to CSPI during your sophomore year. The blunt part of me wants to let you know that you have some difficult dreams to achieve and maybe reorganize your plans how bout enlisted aviation ratings?
    ~My destiny is to help others fulfill their destiny~
    CrSeth

--
    19 Jul 2013 02:59 PM
    Thank you Sir! Blunt is good.

If I enlist and am accepted. Is there there a chance of me making it to OCS and flight school before I turn 29? Am I correct in my understanding that I do need a bachelors degree to be considered for flight school after making OCS?

I have not considered enlisted aviation ratings, I really want to work with the CG, however I will look into it.

Edit: I think the college route you suggest may be my best bet. I am going to actively pursue that.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Amorhetleven

--
    19 Jul 2013 04:53 PM
    I lived in Montreal for seven years and I enlisted into the coast guard. Another thing to think about is if you have dual citizenship. I know that if you go for a security clearance it is frowned upon to have dual citizenship.
    CrSeth

--
    19 Jul 2013 04:57 PM
    I don't. I have United States Citizenship and Costa Rica unconditional residency. Thanks for the tip though!
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    20 Jul 2013 08:10 PM
    You need a bachelor's for OCS whether you go to flight school or not.
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    JBraz

--
    20 Jul 2013 08:31 PM
    Also there is no guarantee that you could enlist, if you did there are no guarantees you would get OCS, but if you did there would be no guarantees that you would get flight. So you need to be comfortable with each decision you would make.
    ~My destiny is to help others fulfill their destiny~
    CrSeth

--
    20 Jul 2013 09:41 PM
    I understand. Thanks for the advice!

I think I will try to go the minority college route and see how far I can make it. I may not make it all the way, but it sounds like a good plan regardless and you never know, I am determined, so hopefully I have a chance.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    JBjunior

--
    21 Jul 2013 12:13 AM
    Posted By Bells on 20 Jul 2013 09:10 PM 
    You need a bachelor's for OCS whether you go to flight school or not.
    Not necessarily, at least not the way he worded it.  If he enlists and meets certain other criteria (E-5/4 years) he wouldn't need a BA/BS for either OCS or flight school.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Auxnoob

--
    22 Jul 2013 05:54 AM
    There is no reason not to also consider applying to the Academy. Although recent incoming classes are small(er) and highly competitive, you are a US citizen, and if your high school grades are comparable to US grades, and (this point you haven't mentioned) you have community service and athletics, go ahead and apply. Apply after a year of college. Reapply. Show them you have something they want.

By not trying you are "self-selecting". All they can say is no. So then you work on stuff and try again.

Good luck, whatever route you choose.
    CrSeth

--
    23 Jul 2013 04:55 PM
    Everything is percentile based here, so I am not completely sure how to calculate my HS gpa. A rough calculation of my own puts it between 3.0-3.5, depending what method I use to calculate the gpa. Not the best score, could be worse though, as good as my Spanish is it will never be as good as my native tongue. I will perform better in an english school.

I will try to apply to the academy. I have athletic background and worked with the community some, however, I have no record of that as things don't exactly work the same way here. As you say I would probably have to work on it while in the States I guess.

One thing that appears to be another complication is my State of residency. Originally my parents were CA residents, my parents have not resided there for so long I don't think there is any chance that I or them would still be considered "residents". If I go the college route, right now there is no way I am going to afford the out of state tuition fees, I will probably have to waste a year proving financial independence and state residency. Since I am not close to any family I am thinking going to TX or FL, due to my spanish background and other factors.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement