Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Prior Service Marine Wife now a Coast Guard Wife :)
Last Post 01 Aug 2013 03:53 PM by Gears. 9 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
elliemarie1983

--
30 Jul 2013 08:41 AM
    Hi Everyone! So excited to start out a new adventure in the Coast Guard with my wonderful hubby!

I just got that long awaited call from Rob (he has just a little over two weeks left in bootcamp) about our duty station and we got Sault Sainte Marie!! He's attached to the USCG Cutter Katmai Bay and I'm really excited about the upcoming move to a new city.

Any tips for a Marine wife transitioning into the Coast Guard? Any info about Sault Ste Marie and Katmai Bay? Good places for renting, food, attractions, things to do? I'm kind of excited that we'll be right next to Canada, I've heard a lot of good things from others about traveling back and forth.

Any and all info is greatfully appreciated!
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    30 Jul 2013 09:18 AM
    I spent 3 years in the Sault (pronounced Soo). If you like winter you're good to go. If you hate winter, learn to like winter. The Kat is a great boat. It's got a small crew, but a huge mission. Expect your husband to gone a lot during the ice season. If he's going to be a FN he'll be working with the engineers keeping the ship well maintained. He'll get to experience carbon punching which is less fun than it sounds.

When I was there gov't housing was a available. But, it's a small enough place you can pretty much live anywhere.

When you get to town check out The West Pier. If it's still there they make a damn fine burger.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    30 Jul 2013 10:03 AM
    Welcome aboard and welcome to the Coast Guard. You'll find some things are just exactly the same, military is military. But then there are a whole lotta differences between the Marines and the Coasties. I'm sure you'll manage with all that just fine. That call must have been a nice one to receive. It is just so short. Hopefully he will get his on base liberty this weekend and you can have more time to chat.

http://www.uscg.mil/d9/cgcKatmaiBay/

If you go to the website above, that has some info about the ship. The unit information sheet will give you a glimpse into things, it is a PDF. Wth your attitude of looking forward to it and feeling like it is an adventure, you'll be fine. It sure will make the transition for your hubby easy, too. Happy wife, happy life. I hope you enjoy the CG. Any questions we can help with, please don't hesitate. And if anyone knows a place to get a good burger, it's Gears! I think he has his burger stops all planned out when he travels. LOL
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    elliemarie1983

--
    30 Jul 2013 10:43 AM

Would your recommend CG housing or renting? Marine housing was in a word interesting haha. I'll DEFINITELY check out West Pier and try those burgers. :o)

Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    30 Jul 2013 11:07 AM
    What is marine housing like? I lived in CG housing in Kodiak... our first on base house was pre-WWII, held together with tissue paper and spit. Most were duplexes and the bedrooms were side by side. Your neighbor would sneeze, you could say bless you, they would say thank you. The walls were so thin! I'm surprised we couldn't see through them. LOL Our second place on base, the first place was condemed after a deep freeze and ruptured pipes (LOL oh the stories of being a military wife)... the 2nd place was much nicer. A four plex, about 20 years newer, much more solid construction. We also lived in housing in Valdez. When we moved in it was old, dirty, dingy, the roof needed replacing on all the units... But they did a full rehab while we were there. New siding, windows, snow porches, roof, everything. Now they even have enclosed garages from what I've been told. Military housing... only the finest for our soldiers & sailors. LOL We were lucky enough to get out of housing in New Orleans, that was just in a crime ridden, crack neighborhood. That all blew away in 05 with Katrina. Good riddance to that rubbish! I looked for pictures of housing on the Soo but couldn't find any. If I'm successful, I'll let you know.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    30 Jul 2013 01:29 PM
    A message just came out that basically says if housing is available you'll be living there. Link: http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg1/flagvoice/fv384.asp.

It wasn't bad when I was there. The houses were duplexes with the typical military housing drama. I grew up in base housing in Laurel Bay, SC and Camp Lejuene, NC. It was better than that.

There was another place too. I can't remember the name. But, when you walk in the first you see is a bunch of animals mounted on the walls. Good food, but weird atmosphere.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    JBraz

--
    30 Jul 2013 03:02 PM
    Housing drama? What... Coastie Wives??!? Never!!! Lol... You'll make some of the best friends you've ever had, but there will be just as many you can do without. My wife and I live in NYC housing, it's had it's ups and downs. Welcome to the Coast Guard family!!!!
    ~My destiny is to help others fulfill their destiny~
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    NargilFenris

--
    31 Jul 2013 07:36 PM
    The Soo is a very nice place. Its a small town but it has several places to eat, a wal mart, a movie theater, and across the bridge into Canada there is also a mall. The UP(Upper Peninsula) is beautiful and can be a outdoor paradise and the Yoopers and some of the friendliest people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. If you get a chance head down to Mackinac Island, it is a great place for a weekend getaway. Also the fudge there is amazing(according to my wife since I don't eat fudge).
    If you were hoping for the A Team you will be sorry to know you got the F Troop.
    elliemarie1983

--
    01 Aug 2013 10:33 AM
    Y'all are so awesome! I've been digging around looking for stuff in the Soo. Better start refering to it that way it's gonna be home soon .

Hey Gears, the place with the animal heads, found it online! It's appropriately called Antlers and looks hilarioius. I must go! Keep the suggestions coming if you got 'em
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    01 Aug 2013 03:53 PM
    ANTLERS!! That's right. That place was so weird. Those are the places I remember best. Many moons have passed since I was there. The fudge was meh. It's more of a novelty than anything else. Plus, it's everywhere. Make sure you check out Christmas, MI (i.e. Hell on Earth.. It's the most creepily festive place I've ever been. Go in June/July for added creepiness), and Hell, MI which quite literally freezes over in winter.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement