Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
$$$ ?
Last Post 19 Aug 2013 09:57 PM by mkelly. 10 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
TriMan1991

--
16 Aug 2013 11:11 PM
    Quick question on the salary of a guardian. 

From what I have found, the yearly income of a E3 out of boot camp is $21,448.80... which comes to about $1,787 a month before taxes. On the military compensation calculator the same E3 makes $43,028.04 a year with about a $3,585.67 monthly income. I am wondering which is the actual take home for the said E3. 

I ask because my current job pays around 28k a year base salary and from a monetary standpoint, would I be able to afford car/insurance/phone payments along with possible rent if and when I am in the Coast Guard (still live at home  ). 

Again, from a monetary standpoint, the CG offers a lot to me and I cant wait to have my first appointment, just trying to see what the money would be like.

Thanks!
    "You never know until the moment the fire stares you down... if you’re going to do this job, or be great at it" -BackDraft
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    JDMD

--
    16 Aug 2013 11:19 PM
    $1787 is the base pay for an E3. But you have to factor in all the allowances you will get on top of that like BAH, BAS, Uniform allowance, COLA, Sea Pay... It really depends on where you are stationed as far as what allowances you get and if you have any dependents. There is no way for us to accurately say how much you will get without knowing what unit you would be at, and your marital situation.
    TriMan1991

--
    16 Aug 2013 11:23 PM
    So BAH, and BAS aren't a for sure payment? still new to the military pay and such lol
    "You never know until the moment the fire stares you down... if you’re going to do this job, or be great at it" -BackDraft
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    mkelly

--
    16 Aug 2013 11:44 PM
    BAS is for sure but BAH is not. If you do not get BAH that means you are living in military housing. If you live in military housing you don't pay rent, electricity, trash, water... but you do not get a housing allowance. You still have to cover cable, internet....stuff like that. Your BAH is supposed to cover rent and utilities.
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    CPORJM

--
    17 Aug 2013 12:26 AM
    As an E3, I can almost guarantee you won't be living on the economy ( in other words, eligible to receive BAH) for some time. If you get assigned to a cutter, you may be required to live aboard until you qualify as a watchstander, and then possibly living in UPH (Unaccompanied Personnel Housing, i.e barracks) after that. Let's face it, we don't join for the money
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    JBraz

--
    17 Aug 2013 09:01 AM
    Most small stations are going to have you on the economy and even a large sector is going to run out of barracks room usually around 6 months after you get there then you will be released and given BAH. The last count I believe the majority of non rates actually get BAH.

Also BAS isn't a guarantee, if assigned to a ship you won't get it as your food is provided.
    ~My destiny is to help others fulfill their destiny~
    TriMan1991

--
    17 Aug 2013 02:33 PM
    Thanks for your help guys! I am not looking at a move into the Coast Guard for the money, just trying to see what the situation would be... the CG offers me job training, experience in multiple fields (as a non-rate), and.... TRAVEL!!

so that $1,787 a month base pay is pretty much take home (with taxes) since the CG covers housing, food, dental, and medical right? sounds like a great deal, and the SOCCOAST program, Tuition Assistance, and the post 9/11 GI bill... why didn't i enlist three years ago?
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    17 Aug 2013 03:03 PM
    YES! and YES!
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    CaptNick

--
    18 Aug 2013 09:02 PM
    Contrary to what some will tell you, BAS isn't exactly "guaranteed". Everyone gets BAS but if you are stationed on a cutter that has messing, it will be subsequently subtracted from your paycheck regardless if you choose to eat on the boat or not. I get about $360 here (around about) but about $340 gets deducted automatically.

Also, depending on where you are stationed, you may or may not get COLA. I average $700/month in COLA here in Alaska.
    Falagund

--
    19 Aug 2013 08:55 PM
    If I can hijack this for a moment, how does a wife and 1 kid affect these figures?
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    mkelly

--
    19 Aug 2013 09:57 PM
    Your BAH will be higher. If you google military BAH calculator and put in the area you will be living, it will give you a BAH with and without dependents. Thats about it. It doesn't matter how many kids you have or if its just you and your wife. You are either with dependents or without. If there is military housing available that will accommodate you and your dependents, then you will be required to live in housing and will not receive BAH.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement