Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Boot Camp Mail
Last Post 12 May 2017 01:05 PM by Layne17. 35 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
OneDayAtATime

--
18 Aug 2013 11:36 PM
    My boyfriend just swore into the Coast Guard a week and a half ago. He ships to boot camp in the beginning of October. I will miss him like crazy but am excited as he begins this journey. Proud girlfriend right here!

I want to support and write him while he's at boot camp. I obviously don't want him to get in trouble on my account, so I am just wondering if he would get in trouble if I sent him a letter a day? Not sure if I will write that much, but just wanted to make sure that wouldn't be a problem. I know that he won't be able to write me much but I'd like to encourage him through frequent notes. 

Thanks in advance!
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    19 Aug 2013 05:31 AM
    No, a letter a day is fine. He will never get in trouble for too much mail. He may take some gentle ribbing for it... but to get letters from home, it's worth it. I wrote to my fiancé all the time when he was there in 1985 and again when my son was there in 2009. I did get both of them in trouble because I was a goof... but it was stuff I put in the letters or tried to mail magazines... there are just some no-nos. LOL But they both love me so they both forgave me.

Any questions you may have, feel free to ask. We are here to help however we can.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    OneDayAtATime

--
    19 Aug 2013 09:45 PM
    Thank you. I really appreciate it. I'm a newbie to this Coast Guard stuff but I feel like I'll be around it for awhile Trying to learn what I can. Any other tips for how I can encourage and support my man?
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    20 Aug 2013 05:45 AM
    While in boot camp, letters! That's about it. But the content of the letters can be very supportive. Don't fill it too much with the I miss you's or gee you should have been here for... He is pretty sure you miss him, he will absolutely be missing you. To hear you and the gang went to _________ and he was dong push ups, flutter kicks, running like a banana, that isn't going to make it much fun for him. Just tell him what you did at work, maybe his favorite football or hockey team, the scores of games. If there is something funny your family or his said or did... just keep the letters light and supportive. You can always end the letters with miss you and love you sentiments, just don't overdo it.

Once he gets in the fleet... if you aren't married and you are back at home and he is away, don't make him feel guilty about missing things. Birthday, Christmas, anniversaries all might be missed. It sucks but it isn't the end of the world. You learn to celebrate the time together not necessarily that calendar date. The little things like that will keep both of you happy and supportive of each other.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    OneDayAtATime

--
    14 Sep 2013 11:44 AM
    Thank you, Old Guard2. Your advice was really helpful. I am planning to write my boyfriend daily encouraging letters. The topics you told me not to include in my letters were very valuable to hear. I probably wouldn't have thought those things would be hard for him to read unless you pointed them out to me so thank you.

While I know being separated for 2 months with limited contact will be hard, I am looking forward to how it will strengthen our relationship. I am also looking forward to how he will learn and grow at boot camp. I am going to be THAT girlfriend that is crazy proud

Any other advice you have about how to support my man during boot camp would be appreciated.
    Charlie0407

--
    26 Sep 2013 02:44 PM
    I'm in the same boat. My coastie left at the beginning of Septemeber. I've already written 8 letters, and I haven't received anything back. He's gotten to write a very short letter to his parents and told them that he was very busy and to tell me that he will write when he has a chance. So my advice is to keep writing. Don't get discouraged that you don't receive anything the first couple of weeks. Keep the letters happy and we're all here for you!
    jasrn

--
    28 Sep 2013 10:25 AM
    I have heard that recruits can only receive letters are cards OK?
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    28 Sep 2013 10:40 AM
    Cards are fine. Not musical ones. You can send photo's as well. The 4x6 size, nothing your grandma would blush at. Lol
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    magmam

--
    28 Sep 2013 10:56 AM
    cards are fine...my son was in boot for St Patricks Day...a very big deal in our family. He received well over 100 St Patricks Day cards. Took some ribbing on that but luckily it was right before graduation!
    lisamac

--
    30 Sep 2013 08:19 AM
    Yes Charlie 0407, you are absolutely right..."don't get discouraged that you don't receive anything the first couple of weeks"...(and I will add - much during their entire time at boot). 
    The "free" time they have is VERY limited!! But keep the letters going to him, they are like gold! Fill them with positivity and encouragement!! 
    lisamac

--
    30 Sep 2013 08:27 AM
    Another tip on letter writing: make your letters Q and A's, simple things, what's your bunk mates name, how's the food, etc.
    (Keep it lite, no "do you miss me" and enclose a stamped envelope addressed back to you, saves them precious time.
    Hang in there, you'll be hugging them again in no time!
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    magmam

--
    30 Sep 2013 02:43 PM
    I would actually make a "notecard"- scanned a picture on one part of the paper [of a friend, pet, favorite pizza place etc] fold it up and write on the inside...would also have a little yes/no question section with maybe 5 questions where he circled the answer and stuck it in the letter he wrote home.
    OneDayAtATime

--
    12 Oct 2013 12:57 PM
    So my coastie shipped out this past Tuesday. I decided that the day after he shipped out was the hardest. I miss him like crazy and feel like I have so much I want to talk to him about. My car battery died 2 days after he left... he has been my go-to for car issues I've written him everyday and shared about my day and just pretended like we were chatting on the phone. Will he receive the letters right away? I've heard that they have to "earn" them and it might be a week or two before they receive any of their mail. I know not to expect a letter for a while as they are not given much time. I think and pray for him daily.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    12 Oct 2013 02:53 PM
    It all depends upon the company and the CC. He might get mail quickly, he might not. You can number the backs of the envelopes so he knows what to read first... if he looks. But that's the best way to write, just like you are chatting.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    OneDayAtATime

--
    27 Oct 2013 07:37 PM
    I'm writing daily letters and have gotten 2 letters back! He is going into week 4. I'm soooo grateful for the letters I've received. It's been SOOO helpful to write him everyday. I was worried that he wouldn't know what was going on in my life while he was gone. This is a way I can still feel connected and not feel so distant. Thanks for the great advice!
    Rummagea

--
    02 Apr 2014 08:26 AM
    Awesome advice on this thread! Thanks, guys! I see this thread hasn't been active since October. But I was wondering if someone could help me out. My CG boyfriend just left for basic yesterday (April 1, unless this was some elaborate April Fool's joke hehe) and I was wondering if there was a way to figure out his mailing address? Otherwise, I'll be waiting to either hear from him or hear from his parents and I'm afraid that might be awhile. Any words of wisdom are much appreciated! Never imagined myself in this position but excited for what the future may hold.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    02 Apr 2014 10:40 AM
    SR John Q Public
    Recruit Company Q-189
    James Hall
    USCG Training Center
    1 Munro Avenue
    Cape May, NJ 08204-5083

There you go Rumm! Write away. His graduation is may 23rd. A good day for sure. If you have any questions, please let us know. Best of luck.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Rummagea

--
    02 Apr 2014 01:50 PM
    Wonderful! Thank you so much!
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    LauraDK

--
    03 Apr 2014 06:43 AM
    Dont be surprised if you dont get too many letters back, especially in the first 4-5 weeks. Most of their free time will be spent polishing, ironing, or any number of other things that NEED to be done.
    Also, I agree to keep your letters short, sweet, and encouraging. I love my mother to death but she'd write me 6 pages, front and back, practically every day. It got to the point to where I was just scanning them to see if anyone was sick, married, had a baby, etc. They have limited time to read, especially right before taps. By week 6 you might start getting a phone call or 2 but they'll be quick too.
    Dont feel like you're being neglected if you're not getting mail all the time. AND tell them not to try and sneak extra time after taps to read or write letters. A few people in my comapny were reverted for that.
    "Zombieland Rule #32- Enjoy the little things."
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    03 Apr 2014 07:39 AM
    I bought matching paper and envelopes at Wal-Mart, cheap, nothing fancy. The paper was maybe 5x8 size, like a picture size- ish. That would be front and back written but 1 sheet per letter. Just wanted him to know I was thinking of him but not send him a short novel with every postage stamp!

The one really LARGE letter I sent... He called with his orders, headed to the Seneca out of Boston. Researched the ship real quick, found the unit page online and printed off the last Seneca Newsletter with patrol information and activities while they were on patrol. I printed that and sent it to him. Gave him a little taste of the ship before he got there and he got to learn some names of crew members before arriving. Otherwise, it was always short & sweet. Just a way to tell him I loved him and I was super proud.

I did get a letter a week.  Just telling me everything that was happening.  One week I actually got 2 letters!!!  The day he had his wisdom teeth pulled.  He was in the ward and was able to kick it back a little, relax and write a longer letter.  Don't expect a return of letter for letter... just won't happen.  But it doesn't mean they aren't thinking about us back at home all the time!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ebee

--
    04 Apr 2014 12:55 AM
    I never saw anyone run so fast as we did during mail call. Seriously, it was hilarious to see someone from the back of the squad bay hear their name called, and sprint up to get their letter then go back to their rack and try to stand at attention without smiling or looking at the envelope. Such a great feeling.

All that said, we couldn't write letters (except for an I've arrived safely letter and a postcard saying not to send contraband) until week 2 or 3, and even then we could only write during divine hours on Sundays. I tried to write 2-3 letters each week, and I know they were all a jumbled mess because I was trying to remember everything I wanted to share from the previous week.

My mom wrote me almost every day I was gone, and I got mail at most every mail call, but there were days where I got none and others when I'd get 2 or 3. So just keep in mind that there are delivery back ups and recruits don't get many opportunities to write (depending on their CCs). And yes, pre-addressed envelopes save a ton of time.
    Diesel

--
    04 Apr 2014 11:26 AM
    My wife wrote me every day and I think she received a total of 6 or 7 letters from me. I would try to write out a letter but with everything else going on there was never enough time to write more than the same generic "really busy, yada yada yada....love you!" and she deserved more than that, but something is better than nothing. Some guys would just write a little each night and then send one decent letter every week or two which was a pretty good idea. I did enjoy the CC's chucking mail like it was Frisbee though! Or when the 5 foot tall person gets mail and they stick it in the overhead... One good thing about long letters is that when you don't finish it, you have something to read the next night when the mail didn't show up or whatever.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    04 Apr 2014 01:11 PM
    I thought if caught writing a little each night that got you an instant trip backwards to the next company? Writing was to be during divine hours only? Maybe they just got SUPER SUPER lucky and didn't get caught!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Rummagea

--
    04 Apr 2014 03:34 PM
    Thanks for the advice! Sent out my first letter this afternoon. I kept the first one super short, just a quick "thinking of you", three sentence message with a few silly illustrations. Also, I got a couple coworkers to write a few words of encouragement and included their messages with mine. I figure I'll write a longer letter on Sunday -- a few going-ons here, some sports scores, and a couple quick Q&As.

I'm definitely trying to prepare myself for not hearing from him much. I'm sure some days will be better than others but I know this is only temporary.

Thanks for the support, y'all! I know it'll make this time go by that much quicker knowing that I have an outlet for support and advice

-april
    Rummagea

--
    04 Apr 2014 03:45 PM
    Oops. Phone glitch! Didn't mean to post the same message multiple times. I don't see a delete option... Feel free to delete the duplicates. Sorry about that!
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    04 Apr 2014 06:38 PM
    Phones seem to have this insane glitch thing going on. They post, post, post and repost... LOL But we clean it up.

One mom I know made a suggestion when sending letters... Ask questions and leave a blank. Then your recruit can return that letter with answers filled in. It saves him a little time in writing and it gets you answers you are dying to know. Also if you want to send pictures, try printing them on paper and writing your letter around it. Sends a picture and sends a letter. 2 birds, 1 stone. Excellent.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Diesel

--
    05 Apr 2014 12:41 PM
    OldGuard,

You are allowed to write ONLY when they say you can. Towards the beginning that will probably only be divine hours. As things move along you will get (subject to the events and performance of that day) more time to write, as in maybe 10 or 15 minutes to read or write letters at night before taps. Reading, writing letters or not having them not stowed in the deepest darkest corner of your rack where it could in some way shape or form be viewed as you my have been reading them will lead to some extra time on your vacation. We caught someone from another company one night reading in his rack and lets just say he wasn't excited about being caught, or his extra time in Cape May.
    Rummagea

--
    05 Apr 2014 03:13 PM
    Great idea to combine the pictures and letters. I will definitely have to do that next time. And love the Q&A suggestion to save him some time. Now, I just need to figure out some good questions! Thanks!

-april
    kaylajoy17

--
    01 May 2017 10:34 PM
    I know this thread is old but it seems very helpful. Does anyone know how I could figure out what company my boyfriend is in if he left April 25th and is scheduled to graduate June 16th?
    Layne17

--
    11 May 2017 03:16 PM
    Mine left April 18.  I don't know his graduation date but I do know he is in James Hall.  I received a letter already and I hope you receive one soon!  How do you find out the graduation date?  I got 2 letters a week and now I haven't received one this week and I am all worried!
    You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 212 > >>

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement