Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
ARNG to Active USCG
Last Post 22 Aug 2013 06:05 PM by 11BSGT. 7 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
11BSGT

--
21 Aug 2013 03:27 PM

To start, I have been working with a recruiter that seems to be very motivated and knowledgeable but I have been informed that ultimately the decision is in the hands of the people at MEPS.

When I returned from Iraq in January of 2011, I started talking with active army recruiters about getting on active duty. They informed me that the only thing available was special forces for E1-E4. During the process I was promoted to E-5 closing that door. I went to the USCG recruiter and started the paperwork. Between paperwork for my lasic surgery and medical clearance for cutting the tip of my thumb off, I had all my ducks in a row one year later. MEPS stated that they wanted a fresh 368. My unit pulled my conditional release to send me to the Warrior Leader Course to make me eligible for E6. I have just started the 368 process again.

My question:

Are the people at MEPS trying to delay me long enough for me to lose interest or are there really positions available for prior service?

Background:

I am an Infantry soldier. I’m Air Assault qualified. I have my Expert Infantryman Badge. I earned the Leadership award, Distinguished Honor Graduate and the  Iron-man  award in WLC. I max my pt test. I am 27 yrs old. I have five years in the ARNG. I have been on one deployment to Iraq. I have been the assistant squad leader for my BN sniper section for two years. I just got selected to be an Infantry instructor and should be promoted by February to E6. I have never been in trouble with UCMJ or civilian. I shoot expert with every weapon system I have ever shot. I have 54 college credits. I am currently enrolled in the State Fire College. I am married with one child. I scored 77 on the asvab and my gt score is 112. I have a secret clearance. No ailments. No LOD’s.

Intentions: 

I want to go into ME with the intentions of applying for MSRT but, I will be willing to take any job, enlist as E1 and attend basic (which I believe I have to anyway). Can anyone give me an educated guess if I am wasting my time or if the USCG has a desire to allow me to prove myself?

It is not my intention to brag by any means as I am just a weekend warrior but motivated none the less. I just want to express that I am highly motivated and humble and very willing to start from the bottom if given the opportunity. 

Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    21 Aug 2013 06:01 PM
    You need that conditional release. My friend was national guard for 10 years and same thing happened, they wanted her to go for e-6 and she denied it to keep her release. It took her about a year to switch over. Shes been to iraq twice and she came over, went to basic and is an e-3 waiting on an a-school list.

Note that ME has been an average 3 year wait. Active duty people can not get around it unless you go through PATFORSWA which to be accepted the trend has been to have all of your gun quals and at least btm qualified.
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    21 Aug 2013 06:16 PM
    Are the people at MEPS trying to delay me long enough for me to lose interest or are there really positions available for prior service?

The CG Liaison or the MEPS staff? The 2 are mutually exclusive.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    11BSGT

--
    22 Aug 2013 07:27 AM
    The liaison.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    22 Aug 2013 09:47 AM
    I don't understand why you think they are delaying things when it was the national guard that pulled your release. You need to get your release back, that is in you. Like I said my friend denied making E-6 and orders to Afghanistan (which she wanted to go) to be able to keep her release and switch over.
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    11BSGT

--
    22 Aug 2013 11:30 AM
    I kind of feel like they're delaying because instead of overlooking my file and telling me what I need, my recruiter would send my packet to meps and they would send it back for one missing piece. Once we corrected it and resubmitted they kicked it back for something else. I.e. refractions, ncoer, new eye exam, conditional release is too close to expiring, lastly a year of extending the release they said they wouldn't except an extension. They wanted a brand new conditional release. Then my unit pulled it. seems like once the packet was complete, they couldn't find anything else I needed to get so wanted a brand new 368.

So, from your experience in the USCG, do you think there is light at the end of the tunnel for me as far as what the USCG is saying about recruiting for prior service?

I have patience. I can wait as long as it takes for A school for ME.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    22 Aug 2013 01:15 PM
    MEPS paperwork has to be perfect, they are very particular about everything. If something is missing you're gonna get kicked back, if paperwork is gonna expire they won't see you. That's not the liaisons call that's MEPS SOP.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    11BSGT

--
    22 Aug 2013 06:05 PM
    Roger. Thanks for everyone taking the time to comment. I'll just try to be more patient
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement