Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
BQ, Boat Safety Class Online
Last Post 23 Jul 2015 01:09 AM by scoutdad25619. 18 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages Informative
TX157

--
20 Sep 2013 12:05 PM
    Hi, Im brand new to the Auxiliary this month here in Florida. I was told I needed a Boat Safety Class to become Basically Qualified. 

My husband and I just took the Boat Safety Class from Boat-Ed. Which is the official (online or site) course for our state and many if not all others. The course is Coast Guard & NASBLA recognized. Will this suffice for the Coast Guard Auxiliary?

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    scoutdad25619

--
    20 Sep 2013 01:07 PM
    Yes. This will suffice. This is taken directly from the AUXMAN.
    B.1.c. Basically
    Qualified (BQ)
    Status
    To achieve BQ status, an Auxiliarist must have completed all of the
    requirements for IQ status and must have successfully completed one of the
    following courses which must be approved by the National Association of
    State Boating Law Administrators (NASBLA):
    (1) Boating Skills and Seamanship (BS&S)
    (2) America’s Boating Course (ABC)
    (3) About Boating Safely (ABS)
    (4) Sailing Fundamentals (SF)
    (5) Sailing Skills and Seamanship (SS&S)
    (6) Boating Safely Circular (BSC)
    (7) U.S. Power Squadrons (USPS) Boating or Boat Smart Course
    (8) A State boating safety course (minimum eight-hour duration and other
    than child-specific)
    If any of these courses expire subsequent to promulgation of this Manual, the
    Chief Director may designate an NASBLA-approved replacement course as
    an acceptable alternative for meeting BQ requirements. Any Auxiliarist who
    has successfully completed any of these courses prior to their expiration shall
    receive credit for achieving BQ status.

Obviously a classroom setting affords a better learning environment, but what you have will work.
    Good luck, and welcome!
    DUTY IS DOING IT, PRIDE IS WEARING IT, TRADITION IS LIVING IT. “DUTY FIRST” – CHIEF EDMUND ENWRIGHT, CHICAGO F.D. (RETIRED)
    TX157

--
    22 Sep 2013 10:59 AM
    How do I submit this information to (state certified boat safety class)? Do I go online through one of the Auxiliary portals and do it myself or submit it to my Flotilla Command?
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    scoutdad25619

--
    22 Sep 2013 11:10 AM
    Make copies (at least two) of your certificate of completion and when you get it, your card and give them to your FSO-HR. They can see to it that your status is changed. If you have your ID already, that won't get changed, but the change will be reflected in AUXDATA/AUXOFFICER. If you haven't submitted your application package yet, include the certificate in your package so it can be sent in, hat way when your background check comes back, you'll be able to skip 'IQ' and go right to 'BQ'.
    DUTY IS DOING IT, PRIDE IS WEARING IT, TRADITION IS LIVING IT. “DUTY FIRST” – CHIEF EDMUND ENWRIGHT, CHICAGO F.D. (RETIRED)
    TX157

--
    22 Sep 2013 01:59 PM
    We've both passed our background checks, and were sworn in, in about March, but neither of us have received any kind of official ID card yet. Which has caused some issues, he was asked at the dry cleaner for an ID card and I was approached, while wearing the uniform to a meeting for my ID by an officer.....all I had was some copies of paperwork. (seems the feds never give out anything but copies.

(we had this experience adopting a child from overseas, the Feds didnt like originals.....everything had to look like it was run through a copy machine....weird. Of course the state is totally different, no zerox copies....)
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Auxnoob

--
    23 Sep 2013 05:30 AM
    ID cards can take a while. My one son and I got ours about 6 or 8 months after the background check, and only because I pushed to make a deadline for a trip (it didn't arrive in time). My other son has waited a year and a half, so far. The record in our flotilla is 2 years to get his card.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    scoutdad25619

--
    25 Sep 2013 06:32 AM
    Start asking your HR officer about your ID (and ask, and ask, and ask). Remember, being a volunteer, he/she is potentailly balancing a full time job and family commitments as well. Sometimes things get missed. On the plus side, you'll get a card that says 'BQ'. Meanwhile keep your paperwork with you while performing any duty. Once again WELCOME!
    NYBo

--
    27 Sep 2013 07:16 PM
    My experience has been that a new card with the updated status is sent to the member automatically after AUXDATA is updated. Your mileage may vary.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Auxnoob

--
    30 Sep 2013 10:46 AM
    My mileage varied. I did the boating course months before I got my ID (3? 4?). It still came IQ.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    scoutdad25619

--
    30 Sep 2013 05:09 PM
    If you get the boat class done/BQ status squared away before the ID application goes in you should be golden. The app. has a check mark for IQ, BQ, & AX. (I just did one...) However, AUXDATA should reflect the status change as well. I doubt they'll issue an ID without checking the computer.
    cowboyaux

--
    12 Aug 2014 08:12 AM
    I'm in a similar situation to the OP. I found this course online, which says it is NASBLA approved. Would this qualify? It seems to meet the requirements in AUXMAN.

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    scoutdad25619

--
    12 Aug 2014 12:44 PM
    Yes, this will qualify you for BQ status. HOWEVER...If you go this route, take the first opportunity to take a live Boating Skills & Safety class taught by your flotilla or another local unit. You get the benefit of interaction with other students, and dialogue with the instructors. Something you don't get with an online class.
    cowboyaux

--
    12 Aug 2014 05:09 PM
    Thanks scoutdad. That's good advice. I hope to be able to get to Flotilla meetings and trainings as often as time permits but distance makes it difficult (nearest flotilla is 4 hours away in any direction).
    NYBo

--
    21 Aug 2014 08:42 PM
    Reading through this again, I'm fairly certain online courses do NOT qualify. Read item #8 in the list of qualifying courses: the course must be of at least 8 hours duration.
    cowboyaux

--
    23 Aug 2014 11:48 PM
    I had wondered about that 8 hour requirement as well, but I figured I'd try to submit it and see what shakes out. I passed the BoatUS course for my state and I guess I'll see what happens and let you know.
    jchughes05

--
    06 Sep 2014 01:40 PM
    I took the BoatUS Foundation online safety course, would this satisfy part of the requirements?
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    scoutdad25619

--
    06 Sep 2014 04:50 PM
    If it was an 8-hour equivalent course you should be fine. Double check with your HR officer, but my experience is any online course of at least 8 hrs. that is recognized by your home state is sufficient.
    cowboyaux

--
    21 Jul 2015 07:36 PM
    Posted By cowboyaux on 24 Aug 2014 12:48 AM
    I had wondered about that 8 hour requirement as well, but I figured I'd try to submit it and see what shakes out. I passed the BoatUS course for my state and I guess I'll see what happens and let you know.

Just as a follow up, DirAux accepted my online boating safety course and I'm now BQ.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    scoutdad25619

--
    23 Jul 2015 01:09 AM
    Outstanding! I didn't think there would be a problem.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement