Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Florida Girl Heading to Cape May in January
Last Post 06 Oct 2013 03:04 PM by blitzburgh. 9 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Brigitbaily

--
26 Sep 2013 10:15 AM
    Hey there everyone! My name is Brigit, I am 19 years old and have lived in Cape Canaveral, Florida my whole life. I'm about 5 minutes from the Kennedy Space center here, and a block from the beach. 

I grew up a competitive swimmer, and competed a lot through out high school in clubs and the varsity team. I placed in the state for the 100 yd butterfly and 50 yd freestyle. I also competed in open water ocean swims of one to three miles many times placing first in multiple events. I am a fish in the water, and decided I wanted a job that I could put my skills to use many years ago. I started looking into the U.S. Coast Guard back in 9th grade and had it as my plan for a long while. After high school I went to college to get my Associates and realized that none of the job paths I was looking into was as fulfilling as I desired and eventually my heart came back to the Coast Guard. 

I started my process in August. I have already been to MEPS twice, first for my ASVAB which I got an 88 in AFQT, and then I did my physical on August 27th and had no problems. I got my shipping date of January 7th, 2014. I officially DEP in on October 10th. 

I was so amazed by how quickly everything moved for me and I am so excited. I chose the latest ship date so I could spend one last holiday season near my family who still live in the home I grew up in near the beach only 10 minutes from my condo. I have been training hard since I made my decision by running daily and going to the gym for long sessions of cardio and aerobics with some strength and flexibility. And of course I have been hitting my local lap swimming pool as much as possible. I am feeling very prepared but still very nervous about my basic training experience. I have never lived in the cold, let alone run laps or anything. If anyone has any intel on what basic in winter is like I would love to know some details!

I am looking forward to getting to know some great people, and even some new people like myself. Thank you to all the people out there who have been serving bravely, as well. 

-Brigit Kramer, 09/26/2013
    rizzoX

--
    26 Sep 2013 01:29 PM
    Hey Brigit!

IWe have the same ship date!My name's Megan and I'll be shipping out of Honolulu so at least you won't be the only person from a tropical state thrusted into the New Jersey winter. I have some friends from New Jersey and I asked them what they had to say about the winter in Cape May and they just laughed and said it'll be cold but since we'll be doing a lot of physical activities it shouldn't be too bad. I haven't seen substantial snow in my life so I'll take "not too bad" with a grain of salt. You seem like you're pretty physically active. What ratings are you looking to get into? Either way, it's fun meeting someone on here I'll be roughing it out with in basic!

Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    26 Sep 2013 01:55 PM
    Enjoy your journey...have a blast.
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    26 Sep 2013 04:27 PM
    Brigit..Sounds like you've got a good physical routine in place. The other thing you really should do is work on your required knowledge. Hop over to...http://www.gocoastguard.com/downloa...literature and download a copy of The Helmsman. You'll need to know everything in there, so get a jump on it now. Best of luck @ Cape May!

CPORJM
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    Trusted Member
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AirDale13

--
    30 Sep 2013 06:37 PM
    WoW, what a small world, one of our fellow office recruits representing!!
    mirm_aid

--
    03 Oct 2013 04:33 PM
    I'm leaving January 14th from Tampa Florida!  I'm so nervous about running in the cold especially when I'm not the perfect runner to begin with!
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    03 Oct 2013 08:34 PM
    You will do just fine...just like those before have been just fine. No worries!
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    blitzburgh

--
    05 Oct 2013 01:19 AM
    I was there almost 3 years ago from December through February. We couldn't run outside because of the snow very much so as far as physical activity we shoveled a lot of snow and we spent a lot of time in the gym lifting and spinning. They will issue you cold weather gear. Put we were told to bring long underwear. No one really wore them though because you were only outside to march from point a to point b and it would be to hot to wear it inside anywhere. We did have some nice days though which we did on bass runs which was around 3-5 miles I think. Depends on the route your CC wants to take. We ran those in formation so it wasn't any type of race. Its been 3 years but if you have any other questions just let me known and I'll try to remember how it went for us. Enjoy it though. You will miss it when its over
    Brigitbaily

--
    06 Oct 2013 12:18 PM
    Posted By blitzburgh on 05 Oct 2013 02:19 AM
    I was there almost 3 years ago from December through February. We couldn't run outside because of the snow very much so as far as physical activity we shoveled a lot of snow and we spent a lot of time in the gym lifting and spinning. They will issue you cold weather gear. Put we were told to bring long underwear. No one really wore them though because you were only outside to march from point a to point b and it would be to hot to wear it inside anywhere. We did have some nice days though which we did on bass runs which was around 3-5 miles I think. Depends on the route your CC wants to take. We ran those in formation so it wasn't any type of race. Its been 3 years but if you have any other questions just let me known and I'll try to remember how it went for us. Enjoy it though. You will miss it when its over

Wow, thank you for the info that really helps a lot! I was wondering how the physical was going to work in the cold? Will we still take the running test on the outdoor track? And was the pool freezing? I know it's been a while for you but I really appreciate the help!
    blitzburgh

--
    06 Oct 2013 03:04 PM
    Not a problem. The pool is indoor and wasn't cold at all. I assume its heated but I don't really know. We did our mile and a half run on the track on a nice day but there was rumor that we would have to shovel it before if it had snow. It seemed sketchy and unsafe but it never came to that. There's also an indoor circuit class we did in the gym. I'm not sure it every company does it or just winter ones. But I never noticed the cold because we were bundled up. Just don't forget your gloves or watch cover (winter hat) when you go outside. And put your sweat pants and sweat shirt on in the morning when you wake up and go straight outside for some push ups, sit ups, squats and flutter kicks because if your in shorts and t shirt it gets cold waiting for your CCs.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement