Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
First station questions
Last Post 24 Oct 2013 01:04 AM by Bells. 7 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
mirm_aid

--
22 Oct 2013 11:49 PM
    Hello everyone,

I am leaving for boot January 28th and have a couple questions . I have been with my boyfriend for about 3 years now ( also living together) . From what I've read most all coasties that aren't married get stationed on a cutter for their first station . My boyfriend along with with pets plan to follow me once I find out my station and or cutter and live somewhere in the same area I will be in. Since I'm not married yet will it be impossible for me to be able to live with him in economy when my work day is over ? I understand we won't be getting BAH but I really would love to see him and my pets when I'm not underway. We plan on getting married but have not yet due to finances and having to pay / plan for it all ourselves . Am I allowed to leave the cutter when my work day is over ? I'm really confused about all of this and we have been talking about getting married when I get out of boot If it would help a lot more even though I would like to save up more money and be able to plan out our perfect day for all our loved ones to be apart of as well. Sorry for the rambling , my boyfriend and our animals are very important to me and I like more clarification on what would be best for our situation . 
    Thank you!! 

Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    23 Oct 2013 06:14 AM
    It only costs about $100 (probably less) to get married at a court house. Then you can plan a big family thing at a later date a year, 2 years from now. Getting married between boot and duty station would be nightmarish with paperwork. The CG is expecting a single woman. If you suddenly become a married woman, the ballgame changes a bit. Only because a lot of OutCONUS billets are harder to get with a married couple from boot because of all the checks you need to go through. OK, let's not even think about that... Let's say you don't get married and he is just going to follow you. Will he be able to find employment? It isn't easy out there. What if you are stationed in Kodiak, Alaska? Do you know what it would cost to get your belongings there without the assistance of the CG? Do you know what the rents are like there? No BAH and you'll never survive. What if you get Boston? Easy to get to... but again, ever look at rent in that area? And it will be harder to find a place when you have pets, most will ask for additional money for pets. At least married you get BAH, if it costs you a little more out of pocket to keep your pets, that's a small amount to pay. What if you are there for 14 months? He gets a lease for 12 months. Then he needs to sign another 12 month lease. Then you get orders and are moving from Norfolk, VA to San Diego, CA... military clause getting him out of a lease, nope, doesn't apply, he isn't military.

As you can plainly see, the questions aren't simply boiled down to am I tied to my rack during after hours and not allowed to leave? Because obviously you are allowed to leave. No job requires you to stay at your place of employment 24/7/365. It is your off time... go spend the night with your boyfriend, go to a movie, out for dinner, get a room at a swanky hotel and eat strawberries covered in chocolate while sipping champagne. You need to look deeper at the practicality of him just following behind you. If the only reason you are waiting to marry is for having the big woo-hoo day... Plan the woo-hoo day but get married simply now. Your financial future doesn't look brighter having a boyfriend follow you. But it can get a lot better if your husband accompanies you. See the difference in those statements?????????

Really... been there, done that. My husband and I got married, justice of the peace, no one knew. Had everything squared away. Then we had our huge day, family, food, dancing, party and when I moved with him to Alaska, the CG welcomed me. My son and daughter-in-law did the same. They went to city hall in Boston, got married. He went to A School, was assigned to his ship in Seattle and then they just did the whole big family thing this past May.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    23 Oct 2013 08:17 AM
    From what I've read most all coasties that aren't married get stationed on a cutter for their first station .

That's not true. Whether or not you're married has no impact on where you get stationed. It only affects the living situation at your unit. Your assignment out of boot camp is more or less luck of the draw. You'll choose districts, add some info to the comments and the Detailers will assign you where you're needed. If it's somewhere you really want to go, great. If not, maybe next time.

If you get assigned to a cutter you'll be able to leave the boat after the work day with the exception of duty days. You'll most likely be on a 1 in 3 rotation until you're qualified, which means you won't have a lot of time off. Plus, you'll be getting underway and that schedule can vary depending on the size of the unit. There's also the possibility of being assigned to a Small Boat Station which comes with it's own challenges. You may want to talk to your recruiter about the different unit types, etc available to you. If you have CG units nearby ask if they can set you up with a tour.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    mirm_aid

--
    23 Oct 2013 09:59 AM
    @ old guard 2 ,

Thank you for all your information. If we do decide to get married in the courthouse before I leave for bootcamp will it change my ship date , security clearance and all my paperwork? Hopefully where ever we end it will be an easy transition for all of us , including our dog and cats. I heard Hawaii is a nightmare and don't wanna have to quarantine them at all! Looks like we have some serious thinking & talking to do about everything .

@Gears ,

Thank you for your information, I will be meeting with my recruiter next week to ask him more questions . I feel like it was asvab , meps physical , security clearance .... Here is your ship date ! Which I'm happy about but I feel a little lost on the upcoming events and am trying to do everything I Can to prepare.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    23 Oct 2013 10:35 AM
    If we do decide to get married in the courthouse before I leave for bootcamp will it change my ship date , security clearance and all my paperwork?

Nope. If you get married you'll have to provide some additional documentation and have a couple of pages added to your contract. You should be discussing this with your recruiter, they'll be able to give you the most up-to-date information available.

“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    mirm_aid

--
    23 Oct 2013 11:19 AM
    @Gears ,
    That sounds fairly easy . I will get in contact with my recruiter after my boyfriend and I come to a decision on what we are doing . I thought it would be a lot more paperwork and would delay my ship date even more ... So that is a relief! Thanks again!
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    dandy

--
    23 Oct 2013 03:37 PM
    I am single (according to the military), but been in a relationship for over 3 years. My significant other moved in with me about 2 months after boot camp and I was at my station. It was too much to juggle at the time and there was a lot going on... a real lot. Be prepared for your life to change regardless of what you decide as far as marriage or stay single.

I will be honest, it is a lot harder for the detailers to put females on cutters because of berthing situations and much easier to place males there... BUT..... it still obviously is a possibility. My company was fortunate and none of the females got cutters, we all got small boat stations and one got a communications station. In our sister company 2 females got cutters out of CA. There was about 12 females all together between the both companies.

Just my experience and I know what is happening within the CG, they could care-less about if you are married or not. One girl who was on a cutter is married with a little baby. It is all about the needs of the service, and be prepared for possibility of getting stationed on a cutter. It isn't the worst thing in the world. Everyone says underway is the best way!!
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    24 Oct 2013 01:04 AM
    i got a cutter out of boot, and I want a cutter after this tour too.

If you guys know you want to be married then I would do it. Like what OG is saying it could be very hard to live some places unless ur married. If you WERE to get Hawaii, and even better, a cutter in Hawaii, there is no absolute way you and you BF could afford to live with a base pay of $950ish every 2 weeks. I don't even know if you would get COLA since everything you need is on the ship.

My friends have a 1 bedroom apt for $1750 in Honolulu. Thats madness. But they are married and get BAH and COLA so his checks have to be about 3000 every two weeks.

On my island, my checks are $2100 every two weeks, I have a mortgage but rent out a room so my share is about $1100 a month, food is double if not triple the cost on the mainland, and electricity is...Five times more than what I was paying in Seattle and Chicago, and you don't have a choice, they don't run natural gas here. Gasoline is at $4 right now, was up to about $5 a few months ago.

So just be ready for it, you really aren't going to have much choice where you are going to go.

And cutters are great for professional development.
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement