Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Formally introducing myself
Last Post 31 Oct 2013 01:28 PM by Old Guard2. 12 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
masp3392

--
28 Oct 2013 03:39 AM
    How's it going Coastie's,

My name is Brian Czerwonko, and I currently reside in Plantation, FL (south Florida).

My journey into the Coast Guard started in September if I recall correctly right after my birthday in late August. I am 27 years old and I had one of those "what am I doing with my life" moments. I've been working as a 911 Police/Fire dispatcher for the past 6 years, unsuccessfully attempting to pursue a road career as a police officer for the past 3 years. Wether it was the tanking economy, cities losing money, certified officers/prior military were only being considered, or w/e have you, I was not chosen for the police academy.

After multiple failed attempts I was in a state of confusion, stress, and I was pretty pent up with anger of not being able to pursue my dream. I started to consider other avenue's when my friend, who experienced sort of the same situation when it came to being a firefighter, joined the Air Force reserves. I was contemplating the Air Force Security Forces after talking with a recruiter and was set to start the process until I met a member of the Coast Guard.

Long story short, after careful research into LE type positions on both sides and weighing my options, I decided to go through the process with Coast Guard and apply for Active Duty. I needed a change of lifestyle drastically, with my fiance in my corner, was ready for the challenge. I got a 71 on my ASVAB, passed the medical portion of MEPS, and now the next step is the background check and my DEPOT.

It's a little disheartening to know that the ME rate takes such a long time to get into. I was looking to hopefully join MSRT in the future, since my passion is anything tactical/firearm related, but I'm sure within that spam of time, I will learn a lot of skill sets pertaining to the LE field. I'm still undecided wether or not to do my 4 years and apply again, or if I'll enjoy Coast Guard so much I'd want to stay in for some more.

Thank you very much for reading this boring story

Brian
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    28 Oct 2013 05:28 AM
    Welcome aboard Brian. Best of luck with everything. The CG is a darn good career. It has treated my ex-husband well and my son says he is staying as well.

I'm just confused about one thing... You are going active duty and DEPOT?
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    masp3392

--
    28 Oct 2013 08:06 AM
    Posted By Old Guard2 on 28 Oct 2013 06:28 AM
    Welcome aboard Brian. Best of luck with everything. The CG is a darn good career. It has treated my ex-husband well and my son says he is staying as well.

I'm just confused about one thing... You are going active duty and DEPOT?

I might be confused lol. What is DEPOT again?
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    28 Oct 2013 09:28 AM
    Welcome...enjoy your journey!
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    28 Oct 2013 11:27 AM
    DEPOT - Direct Entry Petty Officer Training. I believe it is normally reserved for Reserves, not active. That is coming out of boot directly as a petty officer, hence the name.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    masp3392

--
    28 Oct 2013 05:25 PM
    Posted By captkyguy on 28 Oct 2013 10:28 AM
    Welcome...enjoy your journey!

Thank you very much!
    masp3392

--
    28 Oct 2013 05:27 PM
    Posted By Old Guard2 on 28 Oct 2013 12:27 PM
    DEPOT - Direct Entry Petty Officer Training. I believe it is normally reserved for Reserves, not active. That is coming out of boot directly as a petty officer, hence the name.

Oh I see, thank you for the explanation. Is active duty the way to go usually, or more people enjoy the reserves better.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    28 Oct 2013 05:57 PM
    That is a completely personal decision. I can't say one or the other is better. It is what works in your life.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    28 Oct 2013 09:42 PM
    Posted By masp3392 on 28 Oct 2013 04:39 AM

My name is Brian Czerwonko, and I currently reside in Plantation, FL (south Florida).

My journey into the Coast Guard started in September if I recall correctly right after my birthday in late August. I am 27 years old and I had one of those "what am I doing with my life" moments. I've been working as a 911 Police/Fire dispatcher for the past 6 years, unsuccessfully attempting to pursue a road career as a police officer for the past 3 years. Wether it was the tanking economy, cities losing money, certified officers/prior military were only being considered, or w/e have you, I was not chosen for the police academy.

After multiple failed attempts I was in a state of confusion, stress, and I was pretty pent up with anger of not being able to pursue my dream. I started to consider other avenue's when my friend, who experienced sort of the same situation when it came to being a firefighter, joined the Air Force reserves. I was contemplating the Air Force Security Forces after talking with a recruiter and was set to start the process until I met a member of the Coast Guard.

Long story short, after careful research into LE type positions on both sides and weighing my options, I decided to go through the process with Coast Guard and apply for Active Duty. I needed a change of lifestyle drastically, with my fiance in my corner, was ready for the challenge. I got a 71 on my ASVAB, passed the medical portion of MEPS, and now the next step is the background check and my DEPOT.

It's a little disheartening to know that the ME rate takes such a long time to get into. I was looking to hopefully join MSRT in the future, since my passion is anything tactical/firearm related, but I'm sure within that spam of time, I will learn a lot of skill sets pertaining to the LE field. I'm still undecided wether or not to do my 4 years and apply again, or if I'll enjoy Coast Guard so much I'd want to stay in for some more.

Brian
    If you're interested in firearms, have you explored the Gunner's Mate (GM) rate?  I don't know what might be available for Reserves in your area, but it might be worth looking into.

"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    masp3392

--
    29 Oct 2013 12:08 AM
    Posted By CPORJM on 28 Oct 2013 10:42 PM
    Posted By masp3392 on 28 Oct 2013 04:39 AM

Brian
    If you're interested in firearms, have you explored the Gunner's Mate (GM) rate?  I don't know what might be available for Reserves in your area, but it might be worth looking into.

I am, but the tactics, and operator skill set is more of my suit, and despite the wait as I stated above, I think it'll be worth it in the end. I want to accomplish a lot at whatever position I am assigned to as a non rate, but MSRT/TACLET is the ultimate goal.
    Kazoo

--
    29 Oct 2013 10:55 AM
    Hi Brian,

I come from an all too familiar situation. My agency promised a few of us sponsorships but as you know it isn't official until it's on paper (even with an enhanced background/pt test etc). Anyways I have four more dispatcher shifts left until I leave for Cape May. Initially I wanted to go reserves but I took a giant leap, said what the heck why not, and active is in my future. It will be a total and much welcomed change of pace and I am excited to see what opportunities come about.

Best of luck!
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    ClaytonR

--
    30 Oct 2013 07:40 AM
    Posted By Old Guard2 on 28 Oct 2013 12:27 PM

It's a new thing, I think. We had two in my DEPOT company go active, they were going into the new SNHS program. One I think was an RN or CNA, the other a paramedic.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    31 Oct 2013 01:28 PM
    SNHS! Wow, with such a ridiculous wait time to get to A School that has to be a real shot in the arm. (See what I did there, I make myself LOL)

But that's why I don't believe Brian is going DEPOT. He talks about A School waits and not completely sold on which rating yet. So I would have to believe active, 8 weeks, regular boot. I could be wrong, I was just befuddled by the language and was just trying to work it out in my head. Not trying to pick on anyone or anything.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement