Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Boyfriend/best friend newly accepted-Family benfits?'s
Last Post 30 Jan 2014 12:23 PM by Shajoyce427. 2 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Shajoyce427

--
07 Nov 2013 02:07 AM

Hi,

As of February 11th my boyfriend will officially be joining all the lucky new recruits for boot camp in Cape May. It’s safe to assume that we are both extremely pleased and happy about this new opportunity and can’t wait for the many adventures to begin.

I, being his lady love, am prepared for the relocation's that are sure come, as well as, the time apart that is bound to happen. We had a taste of separation this past summer when he decided to venture off and fight fire for a few months. Cant say I overly enjoyed the experience as much as he did but we obviously survived : )  

Due to his acceptance into the coast guard happening much quicker then expected we've began discussing the possibility of marrying sooner rather then later. We would love to live together and minimize separation.

So our dilemma, to wife it up before hand or follow as a loving girlfriend? What are the benefits of marrying before hand and is it to late speed up that process even though he’s already been accepted. Also, if we were married before he leaves Cape May what is the general process of relocation for wives after boot camp?

Thank you again for any feed back you may be able to provide!

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    LauraDK

--
    12 Nov 2013 02:14 PM
    Before I say anything, be mindful that marriage is a HUGE thing to do in your life so make sure you're ready for it if you two decide to take it to that level.

That being said,
    Logistically speaking it would benefit the both of you to be married. The govt will pay for you to move with him and when he gets to his new station he will most likely NOT be stuck in barracks when he reports. I was married long before i joined so i dodged that bullet, but from what i hear people who are in relationships but not married are stuck in barracks/on the cutter, and they're not fond of it.
    Also, if you guys are lucky enough to wind up with BAH and live on the economy he would get more $ towards rent.
    Not to mention all the health and medical benefits.

SO, if you really love eachother and were considering getting hitched anyway, then yes, sooner is better. IF thats a step you're willing to take.
    "Zombieland Rule #32- Enjoy the little things."
    Shajoyce427

--
    30 Jan 2014 12:23 PM
    LauraDK,

I just wanted to say thank you for the response to my post and I apologize for not saying it earlier. I agree, the commitment of marriage is a huge decision to make and it shouldn’t be taken lightly. We just happen to be slow movers and after four years of friendship we probably still would have been okay with cohabitating.

However, we did decide to take a leap and were married early this January! A decision I’m happy we made. Not only did I hitch up with my best friend but we do get to enjoy the added benefits of the coast guard.

I am happy to hear that the possibility of him being in the barracks or on a cutter for long periods of time has lessened and who can complain about the health benefits. Relocating will be so much easier now and less stressful. 

He’s still scheduled to leave for camp February 11th, less then a couple of weeks away. I’m just ready to get this show on the road and start our new adventure.  Can I say that waiting to find out where your going to be living next is kinda a bummer!

Thanks again for taking the time to read my post, listening to me ramble and responding! " src="http://www.uscg.org/DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif" width="20" height="20">
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement